JL 0513

One air stop can, and often does, change the whole Orion solution. Air in particular is determined late in the process which is why the load can never be loaded in Orion order.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
One air stop can, and often does, change the whole Orion solution. Air in particular is determined late in the process which is why the load can never be loaded in Orion order.
Unless the air is in the forecast, which for some reason is never done. Should be in forecast at the time of the first scan, but it's always a surprise at my center.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
would it blow your mind if i told you almost every one of those things can be planned into ORION?
Would it blow your mind if I told you almost every single person with actual, real-world experience delivering packages out of a package car knows that ORION is and always will be useless?
All the technology in the world will not enable you to polish a turd.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
i mean to say the DOL/RDO that exists now + whatever characteristics we put into the ORION maps (speed limits, road types, blocked paths, etc) when they were deployed

for example, most of what the ORION teams introduced was probably fine and good stuff

the problem is if they came into a center and the DOL/RDO was already screwed up, or it just happened to be an extremely complicated trace, they just rushed past it instead of fixing the rot that had been there for years

this is 90% about fixing the mistakes the PAS/EDD teams made years ago, with maybe another 10% in detail the ORION teams may have left out
So what makes you think ORION version 2 will be any different?
They knew when they installed ORION over a screwed up RDO that it wouldn’t work. But they did it anyway. Because they had to, and they were on a schedule, and they had to generate a metric. Failure was acceptable as long as they looked good on a report while failing. Which has been our standard operational procedure for about 50 years now.
What sweeping, fundamental changes have taken place in our management culture that will prevent this phenomenon from simply repeating itself once again?

E

el blanco

Would it blow your mind if I told you almost every single person with actual, real-world experience delivering packages out of a package car knows that ORION is and always will be useless?

run that turd stop for stop, and make them eat the disaster every day

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
In my old district they were either the mgr candidates or the 30+ year sups who remembered when a belt and a motor was new technology, so either way, they were the "lead" sups. Since I've been in corporate I've been surprised to hear a lot of districts are putting rookies in the PDS jobs.
You should see the ages of center managers and division managers now.... you would be shocked....

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
Even if it was loaded in order, it would not be correct until time is taken to write the entire route correctly. If the Orion was loaded in the truck just the way it sits now, it would be the worst CF you could ever imagine.
Doesn’t help that we have such large boxes now and more BULK.....we have given away all the small stuff to the post office AND the allowance for bulk has been dramatically cut back the last few years so you get 5 minutes to pack 10 cartons of paper into a second story office building with 2 trips....just so they can “justify “ adding 20 stops to your route....total bogus bs

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
Even if it was loaded in order, it would not be correct until time is taken to write the entire route correctly. If the Orion was loaded in the truck just the way it sits now, it would be the worst CF you could ever imagine.
How can they load it in order when Orion now changes order throughout the day in regards to where you are at ... have they implemented this feature of it???

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
Doesn’t help that we have such large boxes now and more BULK.....we have given away all the small stuff to the post office AND the allowance for bulk has been dramatically cut back the last few years so you get 5 minutes to pack 10 cartons of paper into a second story office building with 2 trips....just so they can “justify “ adding 20 stops to your route....total bogus bs
Bulk routes that use to go out with 65 stops and 30 pickups but you were touching 6,7, or 800 boxes a day was bringing the center average down.... i was making an hour bonus on a few of these routes I had over the years...I would be touching more boxes and working harder than the guy in the country or the girl running a paper route in neighborhoods.... I was physically working harder... they all of a sudden I was an 45 minutes over one day, just like that... I inquired about it and the “bulk routes bring down the center average” quote slipped through the cracks to me... so basically overnight I lost 1.45 by some bs ie guy pushing a button....none of my center team could say anything about it.. they “looked into it” but just gave me a look of” yeah buddy you got screwed.”.... then I got more resis to “ fill out your day”.....lol, it’s a scam all you guys....all of it....I was a victim of it too...friend them!! friend it!!

Last edited:

gman042

Been around the block a few times
How can they load it in order when Orion now changes order throughout the day in regards to where you are at ... have they implemented this feature of it???

Has not been implemented yet and I would not run it if they did.
My job is to deliver businesses first(which I do) and then residential. I will ignore all other options even if I run 40 miles over the solution because I know that my commercial customers are taken care of.
There are certain ways a route must be run and Orion ignores that fact on every solution.
Take for instance when Orion wants me to drive past commercial stops. These are stops that turn that AM delivery around and ship it same day. But Orion wants me to save it all day long and deliver with their scheduled pickup. It ignores that fact that my PO closes at 4 o'clock and wants me to deliver all my businesses after they close. But yet all these stops that it wants me to save for PM delivery are all 1s and 2s.
I have talked to my PDS until I am blue in the face and all he says is it is above his paygrade to fix. Deal with it. So I do... I run it my way and I do it the right way.

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
My job is to deliver businesses first(which I do) and then residential. I will ignore all other options even if I run 40 miles over the solution because I know that my commercial customers are taken care of.
There are certain ways a route must be run and Orion ignores that fact on every solution.
Take for instance when Orion wants me to drive past commercial stops. These are stops that turn that AM delivery around and ship it same day. But Orion wants me to save it all day long and deliver with their scheduled pickup. It ignores that fact that my PO closes and 4 o'clock and wants me to deliver all my businesses after they close. But yet all these stops that it want me to save for PM delivery are all 1s and 2s.
I have talked to my PDS until I am blue in the face and all he says is it is above his paygrade to fix. Deal with it. So I do... I run it my way and I do it the right way.
Before I left for feeder we had multiple large companies that became furious when we were dropping off at 1 and going back by at 2.... these wernt your mom and pop accounts either....ups ended up going back to the original times for all them but I know one that I had did have fedex out there getting quotes before ups came to their senses and fixed the problem... totally unacceptable and this one particular company was with us for years... ups doesnt have any common sense... none!!!

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
Take for instance when Orion wants me to drive past commercial stops. These are stops that turn that AM delivery around and ship it same day. But Orion wants me to save it all day long and deliver with their scheduled pickup. It ignores that fact that my PO closes at 4 o'clock and wants me to deliver all my businesses after they close. But yet all these stops that it wants me to save for PM delivery are all 1s and 2s.
they spent so much money for the technology and the implementation of it that they have to push it through.. just like the military when they spent all of the money on the harrier jet?? (I think that’s the one) which was over budget and was prone to crashing) but they had spent so much they felt like they HAD to push it through....

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
they spent so much money for the technology and the implementation of it that they have to push it through.. just like the military when they spent all of the money on the harrier jet?? (I think that’s the one) which was over budget and was prone to crashing) but they had spent so much they felt like they HAD to push it through....

They pulled the plug on the comanche helicopter project, though. Maybe UPS is just picking up the military brass that couldn't hack it in the military. Could be why driver training is starting to look more like boot camp.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
it’s like you were following along with most of what i was saying, and then just flushed all your reading comprehension down the :censored2:ter at the last second

Brownee

Until The truck is loaded 100% ORION I can not run ORION! It is as simple as that. Friday I had 300 pieces in a P8. I could not walk through my truck before 3:30. My 4th through 6th stops ORION wanted me to pull singles from 5200. I could not see the 5000 boxes let alone touch those packages! Orion also had me delivering no less than 11 packages to commercials after 6:30 which I knew closed at 5pm.

Removing RDO from boards will result in UPS no longer "bricking" out my truck day in and day out. It is not only my route but also the route to the east of me as well as the both routes to my north! I do not see UPS shooting itself in the foot this ignorantly! Just my 2 cents!

Most mornings its airs, then deliver what's in the way and business customers before entertaining RDO or ODO. There are logical runs that Orion is right on and others that are complete misses. I usually flip between the two for the best route. I wish there is a way for a driver's direct input into Orion in the morning for that day's manifest.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 181

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

Wow, that does sound like a cluster :censored2:...

Thank goodness I'm only FedEX Home Delivery & can preload my cargo to service business and focus customers first to clear a middle aisle, so by 1500... it's stress free

sketch-1516640403286.png
sketch-1516640260042.png
sketch-1516640330060.png

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
They pulled the plug on the comanche helicopter project, though. Maybe UPS is just picking up the military brass that couldn't hack it in the military. Could be why driver training is starting to look more like boot camp.
We’re getting the military flunkouts while amazon is poaching all of our people... real fair trade!!