How's the view???........

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
horse3.jpg

soberups

This is a pasture on a 160 acre farm on my route that was claimed by a pioneer family back in the 1850's and subsequently handed down through several generations. The road is named after the original settlers. There is a lot of history in this place. The small red cross is in memory of the last owner of the farm, who died on this spot about 10 years ago. He was riding on a tractor and plowing this field when he suffered a heart attack and died....at the age of 91.

Think about that for a minute. He was a 91 year old man who was born on a farm that his grandfather had settled back in pioneer days. He lived on that farm all his life. He didnt die wearing diapers in a nursing home, he died outdoors on a warm sunny day while working his land. I get goosebumps just thinking about what a blessing it would be to die while doing what you loved to do and knowing that your land would be passed down to future generations the same way it had been passed down to you.

Its a beautiful piece of property located up on a mountain. Every year they rotate a new crop in, last year it was clover and it looks like they planted grass seed for this year. There was a foot of snow up here a week ago, but it melted and now the grass is already starting to sprout. If you look closely you can see 3 deer out there feeding on the new growth.

memorial.jpg

Last edited:

soberups

This is the view from the highest point on my route, about 1500 feet, overlooking the Willamette Valley. The camera doesnt do it justice. Sometimes I take my break here and just sit and gaze out at the view from high above.

viewpoint.jpg

Cementups

Box Monkey
Sober, I hope to go the same way, doing what I love. My father was fortunate like that. He was an avid runner having run the Boston Marathon 4 times amongst many others. He wwas the president of the local running club and was out for their weekly run. After their first run he was walking and talking to a friend of his in the group and dropped to the ground. He was dead on the spot. He was 51 years old. But he died doing what he loved.

soberups

Sober, We need names to go along with the dog pix. I know almost as many dog names as I do customer names.

Oddly enough, I only know the names of maybe half of the dogs. I deliver to a lot of these stops during the day when the customer isnt home, so in many cases I havent had the chance to ask the customer what their dogs names are. "Buddy" is pretty much my default name for any dog.

soberups

What can Brown do for "ewe"

What can brown do for "ewe"?
:happy2:
The farmer that owns these sheep was having a bad problem with coyotes preying on the herd until he bought this llama. A llama will pretty much adopt a herd of sheep or goats as its own and graze in the pasture alongside them while keeping a sharp lookout for coyotes. They serve as highly effective coyote-killing "sheepdogs" while being an additional source of wool. This particular llama follows the herd everywhere it goes and is never more than a few steps away from them.

llama3.jpg

Necropostophiliac

Re: What can Brown do for "ewe"

What can brown do for "ewe"?
:happy2:
The farmer that owns these sheep was having a bad problem with coyotes preying on the herd until he bought this llama. A llama will pretty much adopt a herd of sheep or goats as its own and graze in the pasture alongside them while keeping a sharp lookout for coyotes. They serve as highly effective coyote-killing "sheepdogs" while being an additional source of wool. This particular llama follows the herd everywhere it goes and is never more than a few steps away from them.

llama3.jpg

That is great. I just never knew about llamas.

soberups

What a great idea. Llama's kick like a sumabeach.

Two of the farmers on my route told me that they have found dead coyotes in their pasture that were stomped and/or bitten to death by a llama. Llamas are big (200+ lbs) and mean. They absolutely hate coyotes and will chase and attack them on sight. Female llamas in particular develop a maternal protective instinct towards the sheep and goats in "their" herd. To me, llamas are just funny, goofy looking animals that are interesting to watch.