How's the view???........

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You could fill the bottom of the fire pit with sand.
It is a good thermal barrier and will help reduce the oxidation that will occur rusting out the bottom of the pit.
Aesthetically, the bricks ruin the desired effect.
Any good hardware store sells precast landscape blocks that can form a circular base that would be functional and add to the visual experience of your new deck and fire pit.
Another possibility
is to buy ceramic floor tile-( the patterns and colors are endless) and just set them on the deck to protect the wood.
They are heat resistant and would deflect the heat and can add a decorative touch.

W_BlockUnit_150.jpg
​Sober, you could make a ring with a couple of rows of windsor block.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You could fill the bottom of the fire pit with sand.
It is a good thermal barrier and will help reduce the oxidation that will occur rusting out the bottom of the pit.
Aesthetically, the bricks ruin the desired effect.
Any good hardware store sells precast landscape blocks that can form a circular base that would be functional and add to the visual experience of your new deck and fire pit.
Another possibility
is to buy ceramic floor tile-( the patterns and colors are endless) and just set them on the deck to protect the wood.
They are heat resistant and would deflect the heat and can add a decorative touch.

Good ideas all, and I will decide upon a permanent solution soon. The bricks were just a temporary expedient.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had a treat yesterday. One of my last stops of the day..............................

1952 USMC Ambulance. All original with one exception. The customer had the rear end and front end gone through and beefed up and put 4WD 'lockers' on. I was tickled to see it. The first thing I thought was this was straight out of M*A*S*H. It doesn't go very fast but it will go just about anywhere.

060512174019.jpg

060512174041.jpg

texan

I also drove one of these for about 6 months.

They are not as strong as M60 tank in power and speed. But the 152 MM rounds the Sheridan
fired were very authoritative.

m551_sheridan.jpg

texan

I drove one of these for 6 months and was the 50 cal. gunner the other 6. Although this clip shows troops riding inside it nobody ever did. Everyone rode on top. I did spend a week assigned to an M-60 tank. Those things were beasts compared to the M113.

M113 Armored Personnel Carrier - YouTube

I remember them well. I was at Fort Bliss 3rd Armored Cav. I started as 63A10 Automotive Mechanic.
No openings in I-3-3. They told me you can go 11B, 11C, 11D or 11E I opted for tanker 11E.

So next thing I know I was driving a tank. We had M114s and M113 also in the unit.

Finally an opening in the motor pool came, and I got back to 63 series.
Then I fixed the 113s, 114s, and the small bit of wheeled
vechicles we had, to include the Gamma Goat, and the good old jeeps and duce and a halfs.

The 50 cal was and is a nice weapon. It does not play.

M114s had the 20MM. That was a real nice weapon also.

I enjoyed Tank Gunnery. When we all go out the range and practice.

Re "Although this clip shows troops riding inside it nobody ever did"

That is a fact. The track beat the tar out of you inside it when it was going, and the noise was very loud.

I remember them well. I was at Fort Bliss 3rd Armored Cav. I started as 63A10 Automotive Mechanic.
No openings in I-3-3. They told me you can go 11B, 11C, 11D or 11E I opted for tanker 11E.

So next thing I know I was driving a tank. We had M114s and M113 also in the unit.

Finally an opening in the motor pool came, and I got back to 63 series.
Then I fixed the 113s, 114s, and the small bit of wheeled
vechicles we had, to include the Gamma Goat, and the good old jeeps and duce and a halfs.

The 50 cal was and is a nice weapon. It does not play.

M114s had the 20MM. That was a real nice weapon also.

I enjoyed Tank Gunnery. When we all go out the range and practice.

Re "Although this clip shows troops riding inside it nobody ever did"

That is a fact. The track beat the tar out of you inside it when it was going, and the noise was very loud.

God bless