How's the view???........

rod

Retired 23 years
Spending a nice warm evening sitting on my new deck and enjoying my fire pit.

firepit.jpg

OK---that one on the left is a fox or dog and the one on the right is a moose but what is that thing in the center---a dancing turtle?

over9five

Staff member
Our driveway holds water real good! It can hold maybe 6 inches of water. We had to get a squeegee type thing to push water out of the driveway every time it rains, cuz there's nowhere for it to go.
You see, the street is higher than the garage and the yard is higher than the driveway.The town put that berm at the end years ago to keep street water from coming into the driveway.
We have decided to put a catch basin in, and regrade/repave the driveway so it all goes in the catch basin. I REALLY hope this works, but there are no guarantees because no-one can tell how well the ground will perk.

UPS Lifer

Wouldn't it be easier to put two or three large drain basins and run pipe out to the street at an angle to the flow? That won't help the snow problem but would alleviate the water issue.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hey ... I got a fire pit just like that! Same cut-outs.
Enjoy mine too!

I found out the hard way that the legs on mine are too short. The bottom of the pit wasnt high enough off of my wooden deck and the radiant heat actually burned the wood beneath it. I just rebuilt my deck last weekend, so when I put the firepit back on it I elevated it by placing 2 bricks under each leg to keep enough airspace between the pit and the deck to prevent a repeat.

over9five

Staff member
Wouldn't it be easier to put two or three large drain basins and run pipe out to the street at an angle to the flow? That won't help the snow problem but would alleviate the water issue.
That would bring more water IN to the driveway as the street is higher.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I found out the hard way that the legs on mine are too short. The bottom of the pit wasnt high enough off of my wooden deck and the radiant heat actually burned the wood beneath it. I just rebuilt my deck last weekend, so when I put the firepit back on it I elevated it by placing 2 bricks under each leg to keep enough airspace between the pit and the deck to prevent a repeat.

​ Necessity is the mother of invention.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Mine sits on concrete but I'll keep that in mind if I decide to put on the deck.
Thanks for the heads up.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Mine sits on concrete but I'll keep that in mind if I decide to put on the deck.
Thanks for the heads up.

We actually bought the pit to take with us on a camping trip last summer to a forest area where burn restrictions were in place due to fire danger. During midsummer, its illegal to have open campfires up there but you can use a portable fire pit with the screen cover on it. I never worried about using the screen cover on my old deck, but now that I have $1k and a weekend of labor invested in my new deck, I dont want any sparks landing on it!!!

satellitedriver

You could fill the bottom of the fire pit with sand.
It is a good thermal barrier and will help reduce the oxidation that will occur rusting out the bottom of the pit.
Aesthetically, the bricks ruin the desired effect.
Any good hardware store sells precast landscape blocks that can form a circular base that would be functional and add to the visual experience of your new deck and fire pit.
Another possibility
is to buy ceramic floor tile-( the patterns and colors are endless) and just set them on the deck to protect the wood.
They are heat resistant and would deflect the heat and can add a decorative touch.

rod

Retired 23 years

I don't know how your municipality works but where I live you can't landscape your yard so that your personal water flows into the township ditch-street- right of way or whatever. If that is the natural drainage so be it but you can't alter the land to change the flow. I would think pumping water out of a pipe into the street would be frowned upon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know how your municipality works but where I live you can't landscape your yard so that your personal water flows into the township ditch-street- right of way or whatever. If that is the natural drainage so be it but you can't alter the land to change the flow. I would think pumping water out of a pipe into the street would be frowned upon.

I think what Lifer meant is to run the pipes not in to the street itself but in to the pipe(s) below the street.

over9five

Staff member
I think what Lifer meant is to run the pipes not in to the street itself but in to the pipe(s) below the street.

Also illegal (here) to connect to the pipes below the street. You are allowed to connect to an existing town catch basin in the street, BUT you still have to have your own catch basin to naturally leach most of the water, and only overflow from heavy rain would enter the town system. I wish I could do this, but there is no town catch basin close enough.

Trust me guys, I've had everyone here - it's the best way I can do it.

over9five

Staff member
Sounds expensive over,catch basin,repave? jeez

Yeah, but you'd get sick of pushing 6" of water out of your driveway anytime it rains....

It's a problem that needs to be fixed, and it can only enhance the value of the house!
Also, we don't plan on moving anytime soon, so we are putting a lot of money into the house right now. We've done 2 large projects (roof and chimney), have 4 in progress right now (Driveway, back doors, garage door, and wall a/c unit).
And one more I want to do in the fall.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Yeah, but you'd get sick of pushing 6" of water out of your driveway anytime it rains....

It's a problem that needs to be fixed, and it can only enhance the value of the house!
Also, we don't plan on moving anytime soon, so we are putting a lot of money into the house right now. We've done 2 large projects (roof and chimney), have 4 in progress right now (Driveway, back doors, garage door, and wall a/c unit).
And one more I want to do in the fall.

Don't forget about insulating the attic, and did you ever find your gutters & downspouts?