How's the view???........

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

EC baby, EC!!!! If it was meds or something important and if there is a ph# on pkg, have customer meet me at bottom of drive, other wise, no way my fat butt is walking up that hill either.

I don't know if you are joking or not, but there is no way that this would be considered an EC. If you can make it to the driveway....

UPSGUY72

From the pic the driveway really doesn't look that bad Ilooks like gravel in the tire tracks the only problem is the ditches on either side doesn't give you alot of room to play with. If I had a helper I didn't like I'd make him walk it off otherwise bag it and leave at the mailbox or 50 ft up the drive on the side.

I've seen a driveway like that off Weber Rd in Whatley that some driver would go up in the summer no matter winter.

bigbrownhen

I don't know if you are joking or not, but there is no way that this would be considered an EC. If you can make it to the driveway....

Depends on how long the drive is, I didn't see the house in the pic, so it could be another half mile for all I know. I was just teasing BB anyway, these situations are always left up to our best judgement usually. The driver would know if delivering up that hill is worth the risk.

Big Babooba

DR Mailbox

DR driveway. :surprised:

From the pic the driveway really doesn't look that bad Ilooks like gravel in the tire tracks the only problem is the ditches on either side doesn't give you alot of room to play with. If I had a helper I didn't like I'd make him walk it off otherwise bag it and leave at the mailbox or 50 ft up the drive on the side.

I've seen a driveway like that off Weber Rd in Whatley that some driver would go up in the summer no matter winter.
The driveway is steeper and icier than the pic shows. I bag and leave it behind a tree about 10 feet up. The owner is OK with that.

over9five

Staff member
The driveway is steeper and icier than the pic shows. I bag and leave it behind a tree about 10 feet up. The owner is OK with that.

If the owner is like me, he doesn't want you coming up his driveway. My driveway, like that one, is hazardous. I make it real easy for delivery people to leave stuff at the bottom! I always make the second address line "Leave in barrel-end of driveway".

well, that road looks to be about 50 years and a 30 grade and drop offs on both sides, no way in a UPS truck with me behind the wheel. That is an accident waiting for UpState to tackle.
Even trying to walk off, it's very dangerous. We have drivers hurt themselves on ice every year.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If the owner is like me, he doesn't want you coming up his driveway. My driveway, like that one, is hazardous. I make it real easy for delivery people to leave stuff at the bottom! I always make the second address line "Leave in barrel-end of driveway".
I wish more customers were as considerate. Many people do not think to use the second line of address to put instructions on. Especially those with gate codes. We have one regular customer that always puts there gate code on the address label. It sure does make my life easier since I cover every rte we have and I can't remember all the gate codes or specific del. instructions. :knockedout:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
well, that road looks to be about 50 years and a 30 grade and drop offs on both sides, no way in a UPS truck with me behind the wheel. That is an accident waiting for UpState to tackle.
Even trying to walk off, it's very dangerous. We have drivers hurt themselves on ice every year.
I agree with you. I would never drive it. During the summer........ maybe, but not like that. And walking isn't going to happen either.

bigbrownhen

We have a few of those gate code issues, so the codes have been put in the diad, pulls up when you open del screen. Very helpful to coverage drivers. Always with customers approval though, not everyone wants their security codes known except to a select few. Those either get DR'd to the gate or re-attemped with a note left to leave the gate open. Gates are a pain either way..

Dustyroads

Upstate, although you may assert that there is no way that this could be an EC, I think our center manager would disagree. Last winter we had a guy try a drive just like this one, all of the paved roads were nice and dry, so I assume that the people who stay on the pavement could see no reason that EC might apply. Anyway, the package car made it about 80% up the drive before completely losing traction, and then sliding down, backwards, until it slid down into a deep ditch on one side, bending a front A arm, breaking the front shock, required two wreckers to extract it from the drive. The topic of the next morning meeting....You are professional drivers, don't you know when EC applies????

Dustyroads

The bottom line is that it is the driver who determines if the conditions warrent an EC. If there is a doubt by management, then, by all means, let them brown up and show you how it's done.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never said I would try to drive up that driveway--that is an accident waiting to happen. What I said was if you can get to the driveway than it is not an EC. I would bag it and find a safe place to DR it.

Dustyroads

If I tried that, Upstate, the mailman would take the note that I put on the mailbox, it would snow the next night, covering up the package, the customer would suffer a coronary, as the heart monitor that they had shipped to them was somewhere near the drive in a bag, and when I was doing the driver followup, I'd would get bitten by the widow's dog.

I play the conservative game, call the center manager, ask him where he'd like me to hang the package, or if he'd like me to use EC. Any idea what he would say? Work as directed.

rod

Retired 23 years
We have a few of those gate code issues, so the codes have been put in the diad, pulls up when you open del screen. Very helpful to coverage drivers. Always with customers approval though, not everyone wants their security codes known except to a select few. Those either get DR'd to the gate or re-attemped with a note left to leave the gate open. Gates are a pain either way..

When it came to dealing with any kind of a gate I followed one rule:

Gates are made for 2 reasons- keep something in or keep something out so I didn't mess with them.

Early on in my carrer I opened a gate, walked back to the truck, got in, prepared to drive threw and proceeded to watch a half a dozen cows crash the gate. The farmer chewed me out to no end and called UPS and complained. That was the end of gate opening for me. :wink2:

bigbrownhen

Jerk of a farmer, he should feed cows more often, they wouldn't go gate crashing after the first truck they see. Then to blame it on you, again what a jerk. Id have a sit down at the local diner and let that one slip out in conversation.

I know it was back in the day, but still irritates me to no end.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I agree the gate codes should be in the diad. The regular driver should make sure they are in the diad. This is not always the case. In some cases I will dr at the gate but in some cases that is impossible. We have 3 sections of a local golf course that are gated. There are maybe 300 homes in all 3 areas. I sheet it security and return it.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Florida Gators/Florida State Seminoles

003-1.jpg

100_2194.jpg

100_2195.jpg

100_2196.jpg

100_2197.jpg

100_2198.jpg

100_2199.jpg

100_2200.jpg

100_2201.jpg