Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

oldngray

nowhere special
I can load 357 to suit
It headspaces on the rim so the only issue might be feeding problems in a lever action.

Marlin 1894 357.JPG

Mutineer

I like the Marlins more than the Winchester lever actions. I have a Marlin 336CS in 30-30 I really like

View attachment 401171

A notable Achille's heel of that family of Marlins is the screw that holds the cartridge loading gate. If it comes even slightly, barely perceptively loose, the loading gate will droop slightly and cause the bolt to jam in the forward position. The way to prevent that is to use an old machinist's trick of "staking" the screw head with a center-punch. This method also allows an easy visual to confirm that the screw has not loosened after the fact.

This makes a good, reliable rifle even more reliable. The only downside to this is cosmetic. Doing this will decrease the value of a very common rifle that isn't valuable anyways.

bbsam

Staff member
So my buddy used to work in a Chicago area gun shop. I asked him about Taurus pistols, why they were so cheap and if you really do “get what you pay for”. He laughed and confirmed that they may be on the lower end of quality. He followed that up by saying, “We always stocked a crapload of those because black guys would buy them up left and right.”

I informed him last night of my new purchase:

1666959532776.jpeg

He confirmed that I do fit the profile.🤣