Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

Mutineer

I might do that. Are they cheap?

Not sure If they're made anymore. Probly find a used one online. A friend of mine had one in 45 ACP many years ago. I mostly liked it because the 45 model used standard 1911 mags.

It was a good, cheap, light, handy short-range gun that a person could leave in a work truck and not worry about.

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure If they're made anymore. Probly find a used one online. A friend of mine had one in 45 ACP many years ago. I mostly liked it because the 45 model used standard 1911 mags.

It was a good, cheap, light, handy short-range gun that a person could leave in a work truck and not worry about.
Sounds like what the hi point is

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Marlin dropped them a long time ago

oldngray

nowhere special

Easy to make cheap but reliable pistol caliber carbines.

Mutineer

When I was a kid, my dad kept an M1 Carbine on the back window of his truck. It rode in that rack for years.

Those days are looong gone. I still have the truck, but my uncle has the M1.

Mutineer

Surplus ammo for those used to be cheap. Not so much any more.

A mil-surp M1 carbine used to be cheap! Now they're worth a fortune. My dad's was made by National Postal Meter. Or something like that.

My dad never bought ammo for it. He had a mould to cast his own bullets, and hand-loaded.

When I was about 9, he taught me how to cast bullets.

oldngray

nowhere special
A mil-surp M1 carbine used to be cheap! Now they're worth a fortune. My dad's was made by National Postal Meter. Or something like that.

My dad never bought ammo for it. He had a mould to cast his own bullets, and hand-loaded.

When I was about 9, he taught me how to cast bullets.
I have one of the many Inland M1's. Kind of beat up but I got it cheap a long time ago. Still fun to shoot.

Mutineer

I have one of the many Inland M1's. Kind of beat up but I got it cheap a long time ago. Still fun to shoot.

My dad's is rough too. There is also a somewhat visible, illegible, gray painted stencil on the stock. The right side of the gun is sun-faded from sitting in the window all those years. I have no memory of that gun ever malfunctioning. Or of anybody bothering to clean it.

oldngray

nowhere special
My dad's is rough too. There is also a somewhat visible, illegible, gray painted stencil on the stock. The right side of the gun is sun-faded from sitting in the window all those years. I have no memory of that gun ever malfunctioning. Or of anybody bothering to clean it.
M-1 carbine.JPG

Mutineer

Ruger makes a nice carbine in 9mm

I checked that thing out. Very many features that are very likable for a carbine.

I would much prefer a receiver mounted iron sight rather than that silly picatinny rail for tech-weenies to heap their electronic junk upon.

Unless a person is vision impaired, the notion of optics on a short-range weapon is more ridiculous than I have enough words for.

Sadly, the picatinny thingy is integral to the receiver.

And it's plasticky. But I need to learn to get over that.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I checked that thing out. Very many features that are very likable for a carbine.

I would much prefer a receiver mounted iron sight rather than that silly picatinny rail for tech-weenies to heap their electronic junk upon.

Unless a person is vision impaired, the notion of optics on a short-range weapon is more ridiculous than I have enough words for.

Sadly, the picatinny thingy is integral to the receiver.

And it's plasticky. But I need to learn to get over that.
Unfortunately that rail is ubiquitous today. But that carbine is probably the the best available, which isn’t saying much, since there really aren’t any others in that class. Still, the reviews aren’t bad. I have a CZ skorpion in 9.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Unfortunately that rail is ubiquitous today. But that carbine is probably the the best available, which isn’t saying much, since there really aren’t any others in that class. Still, the reviews aren’t bad. I have a CZ skorpion in 9.
At least it gives you the chance to mount whatever kind of iron sights you want.