Our Senior Manager said 3% raise for everyone October 1

vantexan

Why would you believe press releases from corporations about how they treat employees?

“Our company was founded on a people-first philosophy, and respect for everyone has always been an everyday business practice. Our diverse workforce, supplier base and supporting culture all enable FedEx to better serve customers and compete in the global marketplace.”
Because when I go to Chick-fil-a all over the country their employees really do seem happy to work there and they make an extra effort to be helpful. I remember FedEx being like that 30 years ago. FedEx used to say "People-Service-Profit with the people coming first." And I remember Fred saying years later in our monthly bulletin that it was never the case, people are important but are just one of the three legs of that saying. He was responding to criticism that the company wasn't giving raises and not putting their people first.

Aquaman

Your business plan comes straight from the Sears, JC Penny, Pier 1 handbook. We should have never bought our first DC 10, never opened the SuperHub, should still be using paper delivery records and should have been satisfied with 50k packages per day. Why expand and grow and modernize, we should just follow other failed companies example.
It’s not MY business plan... it’s theirs. I didn’t come up with PSP... FedEx did. If they care more about profit & service than their people, just be honest about it. Don’t shove the stupid PSP motto down my throat and just blatantly tell me I’m worthless lol. Because their actions don’t match their words. If I’m supposed to go on road everyday and put people first, the executives should have to as well. They’ve killed morale by doing the opposite. New hires come to work every day and get to hear from 10-20 year employees about how they should just find another job. And it’s all corporates fault. They’re the reason why 16 year employees are on step 4.

yadig

SINKING SHIP!! It’s just a matter of time. I just hope it’s later than sooner. I’m starting to have my doubts though.

It will be fine

Because when I go to Chick-fil-a all over the country their employees really do seem happy to work there and they make an extra effort to be helpful. I remember FedEx being like that 30 years ago. FedEx used to say "People-Service-Profit with the people coming first." And I remember Fred saying years later in our monthly bulletin that it was never the case, people are important but are just one of the three legs of that saying. He was responding to criticism that the company wasn't giving raises and not putting their people first.
Was fedex really different or were you just younger and more susceptible to the propaganda?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fred didn’t say WHICH people were important (in his mind) but that’s an easy guess.

vantexan

Was fedex really different or were you just younger and more susceptible to the propaganda?
I worked for FedEx from 1986 until 2017. We worked hard in the early years. That was before Ground and many of us drove big stepvans full of bulk. But the positivity was very noticeable and things didn't start breaking down until about 1994 or so. People believed if they worked hard the company would take care of them. I transferred around and heard that in many places. But year over year benefits were stripped and raises stopped coming. Raises got better for a little bit but then we were down to 2% raises annually. The company had mgrs telling new hires that they would top out in 7-8 years. New hires wouldn't believe us when we told them that's what we were told 7-8 years ago and we're nowhere near top out. Many quit after they realized we weren't lying. All through this period FedEx portrayed itself as a company to have a great future with. They would really promote how they were a top ten company in I believe it was Fortune Magazine's top 100 companies to work for. Maybe Forbes. The magazine would highlight the top ten and I remember one year they stated that FedEx couriers start at $33k a year which struck me as very odd(back when that would have been very good starting pay). Then I realized that in the highest paid market, the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area, that was true. On the lowest paid pay scale that was nowhere near the case. FedEx was shaping the perception to get people eager to work for them. I for one put up with it to get the pension. But then they terminated the traditional plan as the economy crashed in 2008 and there was nowhere to go. And are screwing with the new plan now because they can with so many out of work. That in spite of being peak season busy.

falcon back

It’s not MY business plan... it’s theirs. I didn’t come up with PSP... FedEx did. If they care more about profit & service than their people, just be honest about it. Don’t shove the stupid PSP motto down my throat and just blatantly tell me I’m worthless lol. Because their actions don’t match their words. If I’m supposed to go on road everyday and put people first, the executives should have to as well. They’ve killed morale by doing the opposite. New hires come to work every day and get to hear from 10-20 year employees about how they should just find another job. And it’s all corporates fault. They’re the reason why 16 year employees are on step 4.
YOU posted we should not spend money on technology, equipment or expansion and we should not grow as a company. Your words
If we hadn't done any of those over the years we would have Falcons, DC 3 and econoline vans with manual transmissions. We would have very few employees and would eventually go the way of Sears and JC Penny, Emery, Airborne

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
YOU posted we should not spend money on technology, equipment or expansion and we should not grow as a company. Your words
If we hadn't done any of those over the years we would have Falcons, DC 3 and econoline vans with manual transmissions. We would have very few employees and would eventually go the way of Sears and JC Penny, Emery, Airborne
Those were your words that you put in Van's mouth.

I could hear him spit them out from here.

Damon77

I worked for FedEx from 1986 until 2017. We worked hard in the early years. That was before Ground and many of us drove big stepvans full of bulk. But the positivity was very noticeable and things didn't start breaking down until about 1994 or so. People believed if they worked hard....

In my head I read this as if it was straight from a Ken Burns documentary.

Aquaman

It shouldn’t take precedent over paying your employees. I think everyone agrees we’d prefer the company to be quite a bit smaller, less competitive, if it meant we had our traditional pensions back, and topped out in a reasonable timeframe. What good is it for the company to be this big and profitable if none of it comes back to me. I make 1992 FedEx pay in the year 2020.

falcon back

It shouldn’t take precedent over paying your employees. I think everyone agrees we’d prefer the company to be quite a bit smaller, less competitive, if it meant we had our traditional pensions back, and topped out in a reasonable timeframe. What good is it for the company to be this big and profitable if none of it comes back to me. I make 1992 FedEx pay in the year 2020.
So you want the company to refuse packages from certain customers so we can downsize. That is a fantastic idea. If the company were smaller, how do you know you would even have a job?