Peak 2017

Schweddy

Balls
2 kids. Both graduated from the local state university. Both graduated with a little over 5k in student loans and were able to pay them off in less than 5 years. People don't have to get an expensive college degree to get a good job.

You don't go to state and pay for everything and then take 5 years to pay off 5k... 5k is nothing compared to a majority of college graduates. I agree on the "don't need an expensive education" but 5 years to pay that off? Should have been less than a year.

dezguy

You don't go to state and pay for everything and then take 5 years to pay off 5k... 5k is nothing compared to a majority of college graduates. I agree on the "don't need an expensive education" but 5 years to pay that off? Should have been less than a year.
Agreed. I had nearly $15000 in student loans paid off in just over 2 1/2 years, when I left school.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What a load of :censored2:.

You're right I didn't build it alone. Had a great partner along the way. But our hard work together built it.

We started at 22 years old in an apt that in our first week alone away from home had the stove catch fire. Went thru 3 fridges before one worked. The lease agreement came with a sheet attached on "natural" ways to control roach populations. Oh and a meth lab blew up across the street. All in the first week on our own. But we didn't run back home.

Now in our mid 30's we have a net worth approaching a million dollars. It's not been easy but WE worked our asses off and WE made good choices.
Congratulations on what your hard work has achieved. But being in your mid 30's you still have the majority of the race to the finish ahead of you. Karma knocks at the least opportune time.
And for others on this forum (one in particular), notice that Brownslave and I have disagreed without resorting to name calling or slandering each other. Hope the example catches on.

BootsOnTarmac

So your beating up on a Dad who paid for 2 kids to get through a university with the help of scholarships / grants / work / loans, while working at FEDEX? A student loan can take many years to pay off depending on the situation. Many of us probably won't be able to do this for 2 children on what FEDEX pays, or even 1. Kudos to oldfart.

Oldfart

You want a person who just graduated from college to pay $500 a month on their student loan AS SOON as they graduated from college? It took both kids a few months to get their career jobs and they wanted to enjoy life as a new college graduate. They both took their time and enjoyed their new success and new income and paid off their loan 5 years ahead of schedule. I believe their loans were in the 5 1/2% interest range so taking their time was no problem.

Schweddy

Balls
So your beating up on a Dad who paid for 2 kids to get through a university with the help of scholarships / grants / work / loans, while working at FEDEX? A student loan can take many years to pay off depending on the situation. Many of us probably won't be able to do this for 2 children on what FEDEX pays, or even 1. Kudos to oldfart.
not just any dad

You want a person who just graduated from college to pay $500 a month on their student loan AS SOON as they graduated from college? It took both kids a few months to get their career jobs and they wanted to enjoy life as a new college graduate. They both took their time and enjoyed their new success and new income and paid off their loan 5 years ahead of schedule. I believe their loans were in the 5 1/2% interest range so taking their time was no problem.

a few months??! your kids are pathetic. don't they know how to be like you? shoulda had job offers pouring in before they graduated. So they didn't stick with the same companies they'd been working for during school. How disappointing. They'll never be perfect like you.

You should get them a job with your 85 couriers so your station will be ready for PEAK 2017.. the dream team!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

$500 a month is less than the average car payment. Paying off in a year or two shouldn't of been a problem with that little debt.

Hell we pay almost 3k a month and it's gonna take 7 years.

$500 a month is less than the average car payment. Paying off in a year or two shouldn't of been a problem with that little debt.

Hell we pay almost 3k a month and it's gonna take 7 years.
My brand new car payment is $418. I am not familiar with student loans. But many loans have different terms. some loans have a prepayment penalty. Some, such as our 401k loan, you have to pick the length of the loan. You cannot pay more on the loan unless you pay it off. Many different R E loans, etc.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My brand new car payment is $418. I am not familiar with student loans. But many loans have different terms. some loans have a prepayment penalty. Some, such as our 401k loan, you have to pick the length of the loan. You cannot pay more on the loan unless you pay it off. Many different R E loans, etc.
I'm unaware of any federal student loans (which is the overwhelmingly majority) that have prepay penalties.

And he mentioned nothing about prepay penalties.

Also I didn't ask you what your car loan was. I said what the average car loan was