President Obama!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
March 24, 2011

Medicare Is Mandatory

Posted by Van Helsing at March 24, 2011 10:41 AM
How nice of the government to thoughtfully confiscate our hard-earned money and use it to buy us subpar healthcare under Medicare. But what if some people would prefer to write off the loot expropriated, and pay again for superior private care? Under rule by liberals, they are out of luck:
[T]he idea of patient choice offends many in government, and in 1993 the Clinton Administration promulgated so-called POMS rules that say seniors who withdraw from Medicare Part A (which covers hospital and outpatient services) must forfeit their Social Security benefits.​
For decades we've been told that the money bureaucrats seize for Social Security is just being held for us because we're too irresponsible to plan for the future, and that we're guaranteed to get it back. The pathologically gullible even believe it.
Several senior citizens in 2008 challenged the government, suing to be allowed to opt out of Medicare without losing Social Security. The plaintiffs paid their Medicare taxes through their working lives and are not asking for that money back. They simply want to use their private savings to contract for health services they believe to be superior to a government program that imposes price controls and rations care. They also dutifully contributed to Social Security and — fair enough — prefer to keep those benefits.​
As recently as the fall of 2009, [District Court] Judge [Rosemary] Collyer provided support for the plaintiffs. She rejected the Obama Administration's argument that the plaintiffs were lucky to get Medicare and therefore had suffered no "injury" and lacked standing. She noted the Clinton POMS are simply part of a government handbook and never went through a formal rule-making. She also refused the Administration's request to dismiss the suit, noting that "neither the statute nor the regulation specifies that Plaintiffs must withdraw from Social Security and repay retirement benefits in order to withdraw from Medicare."​
Yet in a stunning reversal, Judge Collyer last week revisited her decision and dismissed the case. In direct contravention to her prior ruling, the judge said the Medicare statute does — with a little creative reading — contain a requirement that Social Security recipients take government health care. The Medicare statute provides that only individuals who are "entitled" to Social Security are "entitled" to Medicare. Therefore, argues the judge, "The only way to avoid entitlement to Medicare Part A at age 65 is to forego the source of that entitlement, i.e., Social Security Retirement benefits."​
This is convoluted enough, but Judge Collyer's truly novel finding comes with her implicit argument that to be "entitled" to a government benefit is to be obligated to accept it.​
Let that sink in for a moment. You will eat the government cheese whether you want to or not.
Let this sink in too: the popularity of the dysfunctional Ponzi scheme called Social Security rests in the word security. Supposedly you'll never have to worry in your old age, because Big Government has guaranteed your benefits. But if Big Government changes its mind, what are you going to do about it? In reality, if you are at the mercy of power-drunk bureaucrats and capricious judges, you have no more security than someone shuffling toward the ovens at Auschwitz, hoping that it's really a shower like they said.
Government isn't reason; it is force. If there is one institution that you can absolutely never trust, it is government.
The case indicates, as the plaintiffs' attorney Kent Masterson Brown points out, that as ObamaCare congeals, "Nothing will be optional."
Note that these folks already paid for Medicare. It actually saves the government money if they don't use it.
But for many liberals, the goal isn't saving money or providing choices. The goal is to force all Americans into the same programs to fulfill their egalitarian dreams.​
No matter how soft the tyranny, those dreams will be nightmares for anyone capable of grasping the concept of freedom.
http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2011/03/medicare-is-man.html

Please, won't all of you "True Americans" refuse Social Security and Medicare when you become eligible to receive it? Also, tell your parents and others over 65 that they aren't being patriotic because they've accepted government "handouts". That goes for the GI Bill too. When your house catches on fire, maybe those overpaid public service union members (firefighters) should just let it burn.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
great idea , let my building burn down.
I always wanted to live in one of those FEMA trailers.
Can I put it in your front yard ?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Top shrink: Leftists are mentally ill

'Strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions' cited by veteran forensic psychiatrist

Dr. Rossiter is an extreme libertarian who regularly testifies as an expert witness for corporations.

He is as warped as the next radical liberal or radical conservative.

http://www.exponentialimprovement.com/cms/libertarianunbal.shtml

He's written a lot of unscientific crap on a subject not highly researched because it is ludicrous. His goal, I would imagine, is financial gain from the sale of his book.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Please, won't all of you "True Americans" refuse Social Security and Medicare when you become eligible to receive it? Also, tell your parents and others over 65 that they aren't being patriotic because they've accepted government "handouts". That goes for the GI Bill too. When your house catches on fire, maybe those overpaid public service union members (firefighters) should just let it burn.
So you want government bureaucrats deciding what Doctors you can go to, what procedures you can have and how much money can be spent on your health care? Good luck with that.
The people are paying for the services, why should the people not decide which of the services we use?

bbsam

Staff member
So you want government bureaucrats deciding what Doctors you can go to, what procedures you can have and how much money can be spent on your health care? Good luck with that.
The people are paying for the services, why should the people not decide which of the services we use?

If it's a choice between that and people showing up at the ER for care costing 10 times as much, then yeah, I'll take that. Besides there will be (as your post indicates) a market for supplemental insurance above and beyond the primary. Have you no faith in the genius of the American insurance industry?

Can't you even pretend to not be partisan? It's so ... unbecoming.

On the topic at hand, my opinion is thus: they both knew, but are denying it because things got crapped up. It is analogous to the Iran Contra scenario, where the line is 'deny, deny, deny'.
I'm not sure which is worse, to lie about knowing what was going on or to not know what was going on. I do not blame 0 for this fiasco, I understand that it is a BIG government and the president can't possibly know about every little operation that every agency is involved with. However when it involves national (in)security I would think someone on a high level should be held responsible. IMHO, the Director of ATF should be given the opportunity to explore gainful employment elsewhere.

What do you want him to explain? Seems to be going fairly well.
I would like for him to explain why he made the decision to go in without congressional approval, after all he stated very strongly a few years ago that the president did not have that authority. Was he lying then, was he wrong then or is he wrong now? Let's hear your spin on this one.

Dr. Rossiter is an extreme libertarian who regularly testifies as an expert witness for corporations.

He is as warped as the next radical liberal or radical conservative.

http://www.exponentialimprovement.com/cms/libertarianunbal.shtml

He's written a lot of unscientific crap on a subject not highly researched because it is ludicrous. His goal, I would imagine, is financial gain from the sale of his book.
There are warped nut jobs in every group, the extremist that claim to their best buddy, "Everybody is crazy but you and me, sometimes I wonder about you".

curiousbrain

I'm not sure which is worse, to lie about knowing what was going on or to not know what was going on. I do not blame 0 for this fiasco, I understand that it is a BIG government and the president can't possibly know about every little operation that every agency is involved with. However when it involves national (in)security I would think someone on a high level should be held responsible. IMHO, the Director of ATF should be given the opportunity to explore gainful employment elsewhere.

Ideally, I agree that people in powerful positions shouldn't lie about what they knew, when they knew it, etc. Practically, though, we all know they do - and they, at least in my own opinion, do it so that the people can continue to believe in the somewhat faux facade of accountability to the public. I use the phrase 'somewhat faux facade' because there occasionally is accountability, but it is more often than not in the form of scapegoating - although maybe that is what passes for accountability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally, I agree that people in powerful positions shouldn't lie about what they knew, when they knew it, etc. Practically, though, we all know they do - and they, at least in my own opinion, do it so that the people can continue to believe in the somewhat faux facade of accountability to the public. I use the phrase 'somewhat faux facade' because there occasionally is accountability, but it is more often than not in the form of scapegoating - although maybe that is what passes for accountability.
Add all that to the fact that neither of those people are noted for their ....ummmm...."transparency".

moreluck

golden ticket member
Because we very rarely go out after dark, I've often wondered if they lock the gate to our Senior community entrance. I'm afraid to check!

If it's a choice between that and people showing up at the ER for care costing 10 times as much, then yeah, I'll take that. Besides there will be (as your post indicates) a market for supplemental insurance above and beyond the primary. Have you no faith in the genius of the American insurance industry?

I have about as much faith in the American insurance industry as I do the fed gov. But when it is a free market (sort of) for individuals to buy what works best for them, the should be allowed to do so. As you said, supplemental insurance helps cover the cost, there is a reason supplemental is needed.
There are many reasons for ER charges to be as high as they are and it doesn't all have to do with greed. Some of the American public has gotten so entwined in letting the tax payers support them that it carries over to ERs as well. No one gets turned down for their lack of ability to pay (by law), hospitals can not stay open if they don't make a profit. It is not uncommon for people to use ERs for non-emergency treatments, walk out afterward and just say, "sorry, I don't have any money". Some of them even refuse to show an ID and give false names. It doesn't take a doctorate in economics to understand who is going to make up the difference. YOU & ME.

Yeah. With locks on the outside of the "gated community".
Be careful what you wish for, you could be my next door neighbor.

Because we very rarely go out after dark, I've often wondered if they lock the gate to our Senior community entrance. I'm afraid to check!
Probably not, the one my M-I-L doesn't.

bbsam

Staff member

I would like for him to explain why he made the decision to go in without congressional approval, after all he stated very strongly a few years ago that the president did not have that authority. Was he lying then, was he wrong then or is he wrong now? Let's hear your spin on this one.

I have no spin. I think every war since WWII has been un-Constitutional and possibly some before then. If Congress will not declare war, we shouldn't go. So I guess that in historical context, the power of congress to declare war has atrophied due to non-use.