PVD's and loss of overtime

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Once again the company has demonstrated how they’re playing Chess while parts of our Teamster leadership is playing Checkers.

While I don’t fault PVD’s for taking advantage of our stupidity I do take issue with the position existing in the first place.

Let’s see, in three years time we’ve gone from “UPS Drivers” to 22.4’s and PVD’s. Open your eyes up guys, if you think that’s the end of the decline you’re wrong. Next will be regional pay. While I won’t take issue with that but those of you living in the Midwest and South certainly will.

PVD Scab

@Misthios

I hear what you're saying. I've been a PVD for the last three weeks and this issue was just brought to my attention (to put it politely) by a PC driver that I was sent to take boxes from. After I had dropped off the load he gave me dispatch texted me and told me to go get another load from him. I attempted to contact him but he didn't pick up and then dispatch gave me his location and told me to just pull up on him. When I got there and walked up to the truck he was obviously pissed as hell.

"You can't run."

He had passed me when I was dropping off a package and since I've had this job I have been jogging to and from my car to make deliveries. I had mistakenly assumed that this would be what was expected of me since no one had given any specifics about pace when delivering. I had assumed it was expected that I would deliver everything at a fast pace, that's it. Boy did he ever set me straight. He refused to believe that I hadn't been told to not run by someone at the hub. I told him that I did the online training and when I showed up on my first day they basically handed me a phone and said have fun bud. He even answered a call from his sup while I was standing there and said "you expect me to believe no one told this guy not to run?" Man, I felt about 2 inches tall.

Now I just feel like crap about the whole thing. You best believe I am WALKING the rest of peak until I get cut. I had assumed I was helping but everything he said to me after that initial statement let me know that I am in fact not helping these guys but really taking food off of someone else's plate.

Last edited:

PVD Scab

I have nothing but respect for union drivers but I dont know what do to with this. Just quit? I am actively looking for a job as I know 99.9% of seasonals get cut after peak but I also have a family to feed. Just sucks to find out you're making things worse for someone else when you thought that wasn't the case. Thankfully I found BrownCafe last night after this incident so I could do some research on what giant scab pieces of trash us PVDs are.

I would love to work for UPS full time but apparantly I may have gone about trying to get in the wrong way.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
I have nothing but respect for union drivers but I dont know what do to with this. Just quit? I am actively looking for a job as I know 99.9% of seasonals get cut after peak but I also have a family to feed. Just sucks to find out you're making things worse for someone else when you thought that wasn't the case. Thankfully I found BrownCafe last night after this incident so I could do some research on what giant scab pieces of trash us PVDs are.

I would love to work for UPS full time but apparantly I may have gone about trying to get in the wrong way.
Depending on where you live UPS seems to always be hiring for some sort of position. If your dream is to be a driver some day you'll have to start in the warehouse like everyone else.

PVD Scab

Yeah and I dont have an issue with this because its worth it in the long run just wish I'd learned earlier that doing this up front might net me some enemies before I even really start working for the company.

The Driver

I drive.

Who cares, dude? Focus on your own needs and the needs of your family. You’re overthinking this.
Unless I took troll bait, in which case congratulations.

PVD Scab

Who cares, dude? Focus on your own needs and the needs of your family. You’re overthinking this.
Unless I took troll bait, in which case congratulations.
I appreciate this point of view. I've been in restaurant management for the last five years and it really bugs me when training specifics are unclear or non existent to the point that you're pissing off other people by doing what you thought was the expected task. According to most of what I've seen on here that could be met with "welcome to UPS".

Of course one could also assume that management could care less if some PVD scab is being a runner gunner out there pissing drivers off?

The Driver

I drive.
I appreciate this point of view. I've been in restaurant management for the last five years and it really bugs me when training specifics are unclear or non existent to the point that you're pissing off other people by doing what you thought was the expected task. According to most of what I've seen on here that could be met with "welcome to UPS".

Of course one could also assume that management could care less if some PVD scab is being a runner gunner out there pissing drivers off?
Are you truly a scab or are you paying union dues?

Over70irregs

Once again the company has demonstrated how they’re playing Chess while parts of our Teamster leadership is playing Checkers.

While I don’t fault PVD’s for taking advantage of our stupidity I do take issue with the position existing in the first place.

Let’s see, in three years time we’ve gone from “UPS Drivers” to 22.4’s and PVD’s. Open your eyes up guys, if you think that’s the end of the decline you’re wrong. Next will be regional pay. While I won’t take issue with that but those of you living in the Midwest and South certainly will.
Gotta stick together

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

I along with most appreciate your honesty and I like most have nothing but respect for someone trying to take care of their family. It’s the union who have failed us and ultimately you and the other perspective permanent employees of UPS.

We have multiple new 22.4’s who’ve all started out as PVD’s. The problem is that the longer that PVD’s are allowed to exist with little to no oversight, we’ve basically created a scenario where we no longer need to hire real drivers like before.

So basically as much as your job is helping you currently, it’s hurting you in the long run. This is my 25th Christmas, I never thought in a million years that we would literally be paying seasonal employees more then our own employees.

Good luck with getting on after peak and hopefully one day you too can look at PVD’s like we do. 🍻

PVD Scab

Are you truly a scab or are you paying union dues?
From what I've read about PVDs on here I think dues dont start coming out until 30 days if they're going to? So not at the moment I am a true scab.

Whats weird is I just got a 401k tax brochure sent to me today. Is this just the norm for seasonals to be sent this info cause it seems like a waste of paper if we're just gonna get cut in January...

Last edited:

PVD Scab

I along with most appreciate your honesty and I like most have nothing but respect for someone trying to take care of their family. It’s the union who have failed us and ultimately you and the other perspective permanent employees of UPS.

We have multiple new 22.4’s who’ve all started out as PVD’s. The problem is that the longer that PVD’s are allowed to exist with little to no oversight, we’ve basically created a scenario where we no longer need to hire real drivers like before.

So basically as much as your job is helping you currently, it’s hurting you in the long run. This is my 25th Christmas, I never thought in a million years that we would literally be paying seasonal employees more then our own employees.

Good luck with getting on after peak and hopefully one day you too can look at PVD’s like we do. 🍻
Thanks for the insight sir! The driver did mention that he hoped that when I got a job some scab would show up to take my work from me!

All jokes aside I took his words of wisdom and experience as advice. Seemed like a good dude and while I was just a clueless idiot about the whole thing I completely understand why he was upset.

PPH_over_9000

while I was just a clueless idiot

That's honestly not your fault, though. I'm positive the training was less-than-adequate.

To put it in perspective, I've been with UPS for ~10 years, started driving May of this year, and I still feel like a clueless idiot a majority of the time. Truth be told, management prefers their employees ignorant-- we're easier to manipulate when we don't know :censored2: because we haven't been told :censored2:, and at the end of the day we're the ones that will be held accountable for following bad instructions because "you should've known better."

But yeah.... walk, don't run. Don't drag your ass either, though, walk like you've gotta hit the bathroom but the closest one available is at 3 blocks away. Also keep in mind that not every driver is going to feel the same way as the driver you're talking about. A 22.4 driver that goes out with 250-350 stops every day might be ecstatic to finally get some help instead of being the one helping, whereas the RPCDs on the same route for the past 10 years will look at it exactly as you described: stealing food off his table. More than that, though, it's possible that having help could :censored2: up his dispatch in the future-- especially with the PVD not following the same methods that a driver has to follow and getting deliveries done at a rapid-fire pace.