Saturday Ground Update

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Our hub is slammed throughout the week due to Saturday. We still see packages that were supposed to be delivered Saturday on Wednesday. Granted we have only been doing it for 3 weeks. I have heard that other hubs that have been doing it months before us are doing worse than us.

those are probably send-agains or something who knows, but there's no way they're DNED just sitting around for that many days, that doesn't really happen outside of peak without someone noticing

Here they are.

We have our Monday volume that we process but do not deliver. We segregate them in a separate area. We have packages specifically for Saturday and are labeled that way. If they are not delivered on Saturday it is considered a service failure.

what upstate means is that, while the PAL says 'S', it was volume originally meant for Monday delivery that we re-committed to Saturday

What about Saturday pickup pieces? Are they processed Saturday evening?
Airs and 1-day-time-in-transit pieces are; everything else should be retained

shalang

Perhaps Upstate and you are correct. I can only speak of the climate at our hub and how its perceived by us hourlys.

My question is, how is UPS determining what is "S" and what is "M"? We also have "SNS" and just regular numbered PALs. All 3 actually have to be rescanned on Monday.

Our management team freaks out when Saturday packages are found and make us rush it out. Had a couple bulk pieces and smalls like that today that loaders didn't catch.

Also, anyones local say if they continue working a 6 day punch that it could potentially become permanent? Gonna ask my agent Monday but want to know what you guys have heard. I definitely wouldn't mind.

Perhaps Upstate and you are correct. I can only speak of the climate at our hub and how its perceived by us hourlys.

My question is, how is UPS determining what is "S" and what is "M"? We also have "SNS" and just regular numbered PALs. All 3 actually have to be rescanned on Monday.

Our management team freaks out when Saturday packages are found and make us rush it out. Had a couple bulk pieces and smalls like that today that loaders didn't catch.

Also, anyones local say if they continue working a 6 day punch that it could potentially become permanent? Gonna ask my agent Monday but want to know what you guys have heard. I definitely wouldn't mind.
OT is never permanent. But paying OT is always cheaper then hiring a lot of extra employees.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
any transportation lane that can consistently make your preload by 0600 on Sat morning is an S, everything else is normal.
SNS are uncommitted's and surepost volume, neither of which can or should be delivered Saturday

Savvy412

Im on my 2nd sat. Total :censored2: show. I thought mondays were bad..or fridays.. Now they look like a cake walk. Im literally ALL OVER THE CITY. its insane..all of us are. Last week after I punched in, I thought i grabbed the wrong Diad. my sup said nope....thats your new sat route..Last week every driver had to go around with a sup. They brought in sups from all over. Today, about 85 percent of the drivers had to go out with sup again. Glad I didnt have to.

JL 0513

Im on my 2nd sat. Total :censored2: show. I thought mondays were bad..or fridays.. Now they look like a cake walk. Im literally ALL OVER THE CITY. its insane..all of us are. Last week after I punched in, I thought i grabbed the wrong Diad. my sup said nope....thats your new sat route..Last week every driver had to go around with a sup. They brought in sups from all over. Today, about 85 percent of the drivers had to go out with sup again. Glad I didnt have to.

Why, because most guys only know one tight route and can't go out blind? Should still be easier than Mondays where you have to cover many more businesses and p/u's with all the time commitments that go with it. Saturdays equals no time commitments except Saturday air and mostly resi. My favorite routes are split routes for this reason.

I know 30 routes, Saturdays would be a breeze. I've only been trained on 3. The guys who probably have trouble are the ones who must still be using paper maps.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Well your two weekend days are going to become Sunday and Monday depending on your route's business to residential ratio.

If you put it that way I feel even better now. My route is 70% business, 30% resi. Like I said before out of an 11 hour day, only 3 of that is spent on delivering resi, the rest business and 35 pickups. On Saturdays during peak when I work I only deliver 30% of the truck (resi) and every single business except CVS is closed so no deliveries or pickups. Return to the building looking like I did no work lol. If they redo everything route based on business and Saturday closures mine would be the first to be branded M-friend only. So.....Thanks?

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Nope. Address corrections and other clerk duties would continue to be M-friend.
nope, no way no how would the run any kinda major ground delivery day without a clerk. OR SOMEONE DOING CLERK DUTIES. no way they would let on road exception errors roll over past midnight and totally screw there GROUP 2 report. I've worked every Saturday during peek that we delivered ground and the heavy sat before mothers day and that was just heavy air. no ground. currently, for the small amount of clerk work generated on a usual sat air day, either a driver or a sup will process them as a clerk and i believe the top seniority clerk and the steward split an hour of OT a week as a ongoing deal between company and union. in my building with only three centers and three separate clerks for each center, either they will offer Saturday as a 6th punch OT day or say were moving one of you guys to a Tuesday through Saturday shift and the other 2 guys double up on Monday and do all three centers work. ugh, that would suck

mewoyou

Haven't heard anything about this lately? They said at our union hall this weekend that it's coming to a neighboring hub near us this year.. any news on how it's working for the guys that are tue-sat?? Thanks
Does anyone know about how senority plays into this? Like for lower senority drivers that are forced into tues-Saturday schedule. When they gain more senority can they go back to mon-fri?

km3

Does anyone know about how senority plays into this? Like for lower senority drivers that are forced into tues-Saturday schedule. When they gain more senority can they go back to mon-fri?

Only if there's a vacancy and you're the most senior person who wants it.

JL 0513

Are we taking bets on how long until we start Sunday service?

I bet FedEx does it soon to one up our Saturday implementation. Their non-union setup will make that easier. I have to say I don't think UPS will go that far but who knows. They may be flirting with a strike if they try.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I bet FedEx does it soon to one up our Saturday implementation. Their non-union setup will make that easier. I have to say I don't think UPS will go that far but who knows. They may be flirting with a strike if they try.
Ever get the idea they might actually want us to strike?