SFA Meeting Aftermath

Oldfart

Express couriers are the only "employees".
Not hardly. Couriers, service agents, managers, various mechanics, hub operations, administrative support, pilots, etc etc. We have over 400k employees and Express is the biggest so there is no telling how many employees Express has.

Maui

Not arguing, just stating facts. I read the career ops while waiting to clock in. Must be 3 or 4 pages of courier openings. I don't notice the region or district. Just killing time.

You expect me to believe an ENTIRE region has not had a new hire in 11 months? An entire region? Doesn't a region cover 6 or 8 states? I find that hard to believe.

The fact that we have hired 5 swings that I know of since peak proves some of your argument as incorrect. We have more than 25 employees and we didn't have to obsorb the people. We have done that in the past but we had several people retire and 1 passed away and we got 5 new swings.

1. Not the entire year. Since Jan.
2. Sure some have been hired, but there is a "freeze"
3. Even in locations that hired, they are not scheduling NHC classes.
4. I stated locations have hired 1/5th of their need for couriers
5. Directors are telling Seniors that no expenses can be incurred for Manager hiring in FY17.
6. The issue is bigger than just anecdotal hiring in January for postings that were probably approved much, much earlier.

dezguy

What does 20 years have to do with transferring? Depending on when they arrive at a station depends on their vacation bidding. If next years vacation has already been bid, they get the leftovers. I thought most people that transfer get their seniority frozen for a set amount of months. People that have transfered into my station have told me they had to bid last the first year, then moved into the process wherever their seniority put them after that. Not sure if that is our station's rule or company wide.
Up here, it all depends on when a transfer comes in. If they come in after vacation picks, they get whatever is left over. Before vacation picks, they're ranked based on CEV score like everyone else.

Oldfart

Up here, it all depends on when a transfer comes in. If they come in after vacation picks, they get whatever is left over. Before vacation picks, they're ranked based on CEV score like everyone else.
People called me out because I didn't know what RLA was short for. Now I have no idea what CEV is.

outtatime

Am I correct in assuming that there is one national seniority list?

What does 20 years have to do with transferring? Depending on when they arrive at a station depends on their vacation bidding. If next years vacation has already been bid, they get the leftovers. I thought most people that transfer get their seniority frozen for a set amount of months. People that have transfered into my station have told me they had to bid last the first year, then moved into the process wherever their seniority put them after that. Not sure if that is our station's rule or company wide.
I was simply using 20+ years as an example, not some threshold needed to meet. Each station sets it's own bidding process but they all have to go by seniority. Some do 2 weeks the 1st round of scheduling, then each additional week on the next rounds etc. Some do 3 weeks the first round etc. If next years vacation is already set then anyone transferring in gets the scraps unless the hiring manager approves someones upcoming vacation they have already scheduled.

Oldfart

I was simply using 20+ years as an example, not some threshold needed to meet. Each station sets it's own bidding process but they all have to go by seniority. Some do 2 weeks the 1st round of scheduling, then each additional week on the next rounds etc. Some do 3 weeks the first round etc. If next years vacation is already set then anyone transferring in gets the scraps unless the hiring manager approves someones upcoming vacation they have already scheduled.
Gotcha ya.

whenIgetthere

When I transferred, I started at my new station the week vacation bid started. I was placed right in the spot where my seniority put me. May be different elsewhere

outtatime

When I transferred, I started at my new station the week vacation bid started. I was placed right in the spot where my seniority put me. May be different elsewhere
As it should be. None of this nonsense of "hire date seniority" and "center seniority" "building seniority" etc. All that should matter is when you hired with the company.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
MEM doesn't directly determine that, but indirectly when they allow virtually no T&E, eliminate NHC training and fail to approve postings at the VP level it leaves station management hostage and understaffed. Courier and Ops Manager positions go unfilled for months when FedEx isn't making Wall Street estimates, even if the Company is very profitable. Ops and Seniors have almost no control of staffing appropriately in that environment.

Yet some managers/seniors have little to no trouble navigating those issues while others fear them like the plague. It boils down to knowing how to staff your operation.

overflowed

When I transferred to the pac nw , I came after bidding. So couldn't even get a full week. This was a station like oldfart talks about. Really lean, no part timers even. I was able to split up all my vacation as I wanted though. So took a bunch of 3 day 4 day weekends instead.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not arguing, just stating facts. I read the career ops while waiting to clock in. Must be 3 or 4 pages of courier openings. I don't notice the region or district. Just killing time.

You expect me to believe an ENTIRE region has not had a new hire in 11 months? An entire region? Doesn't a region cover 6 or 8 states? I find that hard to believe.

The fact that we have hired 5 swings that I know of since peak proves some of your argument as incorrect. We have more than 25 employees and we didn't have to obsorb the people. We have done that in the past but we had several people retire and 1 passed away and we got 5 new swings.
LOL. 25 in your station? We have about 25 in our workgroup. Your station is but a very small microcosm of the world of FedEx.