The new plan,pt do p1

MAKAVELI

Banned
How do most air cargo companies handle final mile delivery of their freight? I would assume it gets contracted out to ground transportation carriers.
Your comparing apples and oranges. Ground and Express are under the same corp and kept separate to keep Express under the RLA. Why do you think LMO packages have to be taken by Ground at Origin.

It will be fine

Your comparing apples and oranges. Ground and Express are under the same corp and kept separate to keep Express under the RLA. Why do you think LMO packages have to be taken by Ground at Origin.
Comparing Express to other air freight companies is apples to oranges to you? Okie dokie.

MAKAVELI

Banned
Comparing Express to other air freight companies is apples to oranges to you? Okie dokie.
RLA or NLRA?
FedEx and UPS Follow
the Money Trail
By Frank N. Wilner

The RLA does not limit its coverage to air carrier employees who fly or maintain aircraft. Rather, its coverage extends to virtually all employees engaged inp performing a service for the carrier so that the carrier may transport passengers or freight. ... The limit [on coverage] is that the carrier must have continuing authority to supervise and direct [its employees]. ... The
couriers, tractor-trailer drivers, operations agents and other employees sought by the UAW are employed by FedEx directly. As the record amply demonstrates, these employees, as part of FedEx’s air express delivery system, are supervised by FedEx employees.

MAKAVELI

Banned
Literally every large air freight company sends packages through FedEx Ground daily. We pick up from their warehouses and deliver their freight.
I'm going to ask you again. Why do LMO packages have to be transferred at Origin. Why can't they for example fly from LAX to NY then transferred to Ground?

It will be fine

So you can't give one single specific comparable example. Got it.
I scrolled through the list of the top 10 air freight companies by metric ton. I have daily pickups at 7 of them. Ground delivers packages they fly from all over the globe. That doesn’t mean they aren’t operating an airline.

MAKAVELI

Banned
I scrolled through the list of the top 10 air freight companies by metric ton. I have daily pickups at 7 of them. Ground delivers packages they fly from all over the globe. That doesn’t mean they aren’t operating an airline.
Those air freight companies don't have a delivery workforce working under the RLA.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
RLA or NLRA?
FedEx and UPS Follow
the Money Trail
By Frank N. Wilner

The RLA does not limit its coverage to air carrier employees who fly or maintain aircraft. Rather, its coverage extends to virtually all employees engaged inp performing a service for the carrier so that the carrier may transport passengers or freight. ... The limit [on coverage] is that the carrier must have continuing authority to supervise and direct [its employees]. ... The
couriers, tractor-trailer drivers, operations agents and other employees sought by the UAW are employed by FedEx directly. As the record amply demonstrates, these employees, as part of FedEx’s air express delivery system, are supervised by FedEx employees.
The thing that jumped out to me is that being a FedEx employee is a prerequisite for RLA exemption.

Ground delivery is conducted by non-employees. Conceivably this could be the open barn door.

MAKAVELI

Banned
The thing that jumped out to me is that being a FedEx employee is a prerequisite for RLA exemption.

Ground delivery is conducted by non-employees. Conceivably this could be the open barn door.
Exactly. The exemption is exactly why they are trying to go around it by having these LMO packages handed off at the Origin into the Ground network. Having them travel through the Express network will eventually get challenged and could end the exemption.

It will be fine

Exactly. The exemption is exactly why they are trying to go around it by having these LMO packages handed off at the Origin into the Ground network. Having them travel through the Express network will eventually get challenged and could end the exemption.
You’d better hope they don’t change the classification. I can’t think of a better motivator to eliminate the Express courier position than a threat of unionization. They’ll send all the deliveries to Ground, maybe keep a tiny workforce of part time couriers for priority deliveries.

MAKAVELI

Banned
You’d better hope they don’t change the classification. I can’t think of a better motivator to eliminate the Express courier position than a threat of unionization. They’ll send all the deliveries to Ground, maybe keep a tiny workforce of part time couriers for priority deliveries.
Empty threats shouldn't scare anyone. I'd just sit back and watch the company implode.🤣

vantexan

Empty threats shouldn't scare anyone. I'd just sit back and watch the company implode.🤣
Be careful what you wish for. They've eroded service at Express to the point a customer won't be able to see a difference if Ground were to take over most deliveries. From that viewpoint it could be what they intended all along.

Aquaman

With the morale at this company being at an all time low... the step program being dead, budgeting for raises with whatever money is leftover, switching to garbage United Healthcare, ditching the pension for new hires, and this project “response”.... Express would unionize in 30 seconds should the RLA exemption die.

Aquaman

Be careful what you wish for. They've eroded service at Express to the point a customer won't be able to see a difference if Ground were to take over most deliveries. From that viewpoint it could be what they intended all along.
This is the EXACTLY the danger to Express that I hope they’re realizing. The only reason shippers use us is for commit times... that’s it. That’s the selling point. If you want your shipment delivered by a certain time on a certain day, you pay the premium for Express. How long will this company drop the ball on service before shippers start using the cheaper ground? We’re running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off trying to figure out how to make service. Trying any dumb idea they think might work. Like splitting P1 & P2 sorts at the hubs. Well now they’re both delivered late and it’s costing insane amounts of overtime to still fail. The company is understaffed due to their own disregard for pay. And we can’t make service because of it. If I was a company using Express, I’d be seriously wondering what exactly I’m paying for...

MAKAVELI

Banned
This is the EXACTLY the danger to Express that I hope they’re realizing. The only reason shippers use us is for commit times... that’s it. That’s the selling point. If you want your shipment delivered by a certain time on a certain day, you pay the premium for Express. How long will this company drop the ball on service before shippers start using the cheaper ground? We’re running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off trying to figure out how to make service. Trying any dumb idea they think might work. Like splitting P1 & P2 sorts at the hubs. Well now they’re both delivered late and it’s costing insane amounts of overtime to still fail. The company is understaffed due to their own disregard for pay. And we can’t make service because of it. If I was a company using Express, I’d be seriously wondering what exactly I’m paying for...
It's crazy to think how the top is this ignorant. They just had 3 record profit quarters and now they are trying to reinvent the wheel.