Tool talk

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hardwoods are insane, I need to find a local supplier. A lot of people sell fresh-cut with those mobile sawmills but its not kiln dried. I want some cherry, walnut, and white oak. I want to play around with some exotic Purple Heart, Padauk, Zebrawood, and Henge for smaller projects. Walnut locally is $16 a board foot, cherry is $7.15.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hardwoods are insane, I need to find a local supplier. A lot of people sell fresh-cut with those mobile sawmills but its not kiln dried. I want some cherry, walnut, and white oak. I want to play around with some exotic Purple Heart, Padauk, Zebrawood, and Henge for smaller projects. Walnut locally is $16 a board foot, cherry is $7.15.

Time to put up a metal shack and get a boiler. :teethy:

over9five

Staff member
If you need some extra money, we're hiring summer vacation cover drivers....
:teethy:
:teethy:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I saved this $1200 plate compactor from being scrapped for $5. A contractor abandoned it at my brother's friend's house. My brother, an airplane mechanic, took it to see if he could get the engine running, but didn't have much time before he ended up moving out of state. It ended up at my dad's, he was going to scrap it before I intervened.

My daughter and I are working to restore it. She took the engine off, and we are going to swap out the non-starting 4hp engine with a working 5hp Honda engine from my leaf shredder.

In the process of pulling the engine, we discovered two shock mounts had failed. I also noticed the pulley spins freely on the shaft of the engine. Haven't pulled it, but I think the failed mounts may have caused some excess vibration, causing the shaft key to shear. I also think the subsequent abandonment may have allowed the carburetor to clog up, which is why the engine won't run. I tested it for spark, and it seems to get compression, so fuel is my main suspect right now.

Ordered new shock mounts, the vibration unit seems to be in working order, so we should be up and running pretty quick.
20220409_095248.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Update on the plate compactor: the 5hp engine's shaft was both too short and too big in diameter, so we'll be working on the 4hp to see if it will run. Got a new carburetor and air filter, so we'll see what happens. The pulley is also a clutch pulley, which lost a spring, and I have to try to track down the correct replacements.

Next restoration project: a band saw with broken table mounts, and the internal start winding switch probably needs the contacts cleaned. The motor will move if you twist it by hand, so we'll see if I can get that running properly. My buddy has a cousin who runs a metal fab shop, so I'll see if they can weld the table mounts back on. Pictures when time allows.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Fwiw I put a ssd in an old windows 7 laptop. It's just being used in my shop. I also upgraded to windows 10. The ssd made it blazing fast compared to the clunky hdd. Definitely worth the price and effort. Ssd is so cheap now. The Samsung unit even came with the data migration app.

oldngray

nowhere special
Fwiw I put a ssd in an old windows 7 laptop. It's just being used in my shop. I also upgraded to windows 10. The ssd made it blazing fast compared to the clunky hdd. Definitely worth the price and effort. Ssd is so cheap now. The Samsung unit even came with the data migration app.
SSD is great for upgrading an older computer. Boot times in seconds instead of minutes.

rod

Retired 22 years

I did the same thing