Tool talk

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
View attachment 383527

Got the $190 shock mounts installed.

View attachment 383529
What is it we’re building here

Got the engine running. Replaced the carburetor, air filter, fuel line and filter, and the 18" pull cord with 5' of pull chord. Rehomed a big ol' spider that was living under the retractor cover. Running pretty good now.

View attachment 383528

The $300 clutch is missing a spring. This model is old enough that I can't find the parts list. After checking around at a few local parts places and scouring the internet, I think I have found a match. For those who don't know, if you don't have a manufacturer or part number, good luck finding a replacement spring.

The springs have a hard to see red paint on them, so I looked up "red clutch spring". Found a spring for a GE clutch designed for go karts and dirt bikes. I looked up the clutch, and the internal parts look just like mine, but has a sprocket instead of a pulley. So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they'll match. Otherwise I'm dumping another $300 to get a new clutch, which would put me pretty close to break-even on how much I think I could sell this thing for. But it's been a fun project to work on with my daughter.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
The Cherry and Maple on the bottom were $6-7 a board foot. The darkest, that Henge, was $20. Walnut runs about $16. The Purple Heart, Orange Osage, and Yellow Heart is pretty wood. That's $225 worth, exotic wood is expensive.
To be clear, there is no disrespect . I think the exotic woods are outstanding. I hope you keep me informed with the disposition of these boards.
I have a local company that ONLY does cutting boards, if you can imagine, I've scavenged through his dumpster and been gifted with shorts of the same wood you posted about for zero money. Truth is ? I have no interest in the usage?

trickpony1

View attachment 383527

Got the $190 shock mounts installed.

View attachment 383529

Got the engine running. Replaced the carburetor, air filter, fuel line and filter, and the 18" pull cord with 5' of pull chord. Rehomed a big ol' spider that was living under the retractor cover. Running pretty good now.

View attachment 383528

The $300 clutch is missing a spring. This model is old enough that I can't find the parts list. After checking around at a few local parts places and scouring the internet, I think I have found a match. For those who don't know, if you don't have a manufacturer or part number, good luck finding a replacement spring.

The springs have a hard to see red paint on them, so I looked up "red clutch spring". Found a spring for a GE clutch designed for go karts and dirt bikes. I looked up the clutch, and the internal parts look just like mine, but has a sprocket instead of a pulley. So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they'll match. Otherwise I'm dumping another $300 to get a new clutch, which would put me pretty close to break-even on how much I think I could sell this thing for. But it's been a fun project to work on with my daughter.
What is it?

DriverNerd

The Cherry and Maple on the bottom were $6-7 a board foot. The darkest, that Henge, was $20. Walnut runs about $16. The Purple Heart, Orange Osage, and Yellow Heart is pretty wood. That's $225 worth, exotic wood is expensive.
What are you planning to make with the Purple Heart and Osage Orange?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm glad I'm not the only one stumped. Dirt compactor?

Sorry, I posted about it earlier, and It's taken me longer to follow up than I'd hoped. Next project is a band saw that needs some tlc. The table trunnions shattered, so I got some new ones ordered. The bottom of the band saw table with old and new trunnions are pictured here.
20220511_154136.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Made in Chiwan. No wonder.

In my research trying to find parts I found that a lot of the better brands of table saws from this era were made in Taiwan. My next fixer upper is a really heavy bench top drill press. I'm not sure where it was made because I haven't looked at it much since I got it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What are you planning to make with the Purple Heart and Osage Orange?
I'm not sure yet, it was my first time in a hardwood store and I was picking out a variety. Most of what I got was Cherry and Maple. The Peruvian Walnut is actually cheaper than the domestic wood. I'll probably make a couple of cutting boards to start out.

DriverNerd

I'm not sure yet, it was my first time in a hardwood store and I was picking out a variety. Most of what I got was Cherry and Maple. The Peruvian Walnut is actually cheaper than the domestic wood. I'll probably make a couple of cutting boards to start out.
Post pics...please. I'm not a fan of purple heart as say flooring as it's too much purple, but in every smaller make whether furniture, carvings, designs etc I think it's gorgeous. Is the walnut cheaper because it's cheap or just because there is so much demand for domestic woods?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Post pics...please. I'm not a fan of purple heart as say flooring as it's too much purple, but in every smaller make whether furniture, carvings, designs etc I think it's gorgeous. Is the walnut cheaper because it's cheap or just because there is so much demand for domestic woods?
Walnut is running $16.70 for fine grade, African Walnut $9.00, Peruvian Walnut $14.50, and local Walnut $10 a board foot. The local looked so rough I would have lost half of it machining it. I should have got the African over the Peruvian, I messed up there and I forgot to pick up some Padauk at $13.00. I decided to do a 3-D board and I made my first cuts yesterday and my first glue-ups this morning.
051119C0-BABD-4145-A237-4EAD0650EAEF.jpeg
9D67FF8F-9A97-43B7-B851-1EB27B8DAF38.jpeg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I saw that but there is still no definitive answer.

It doesn't look like it's constructed to be a tool. The closest thing I've found is a brass welding clamp. They have much stronger springs, a way to connect the proper wires to it, and ridged surfaces in the clamp. That has none of those. If that were designed to do anything as a tool, the only possible use I can think of is tk maybe attach something flat to a pipe, like making a screen from a pipe frame. Even then, that spring is too weak to hold much, and the brass is way too much overbuild to be cost effective as anything other than decoration. The only other thing I found that looks somewhat similar is a wine bottle display holder.