UPS hasn't bought any new pkg cars this year, avoiding promised AC.

Thebrownblob

OK, I read a little further lol and the story just gets more silly.

“For Theresa, Jim’s close call was a turning point. At the time, she said, no UPS drivers wanted to speak up about the increasingly brutal conditions for fear of being reprimanded. She felt uniquely positioned to begin advocating for change.”

Who would reprimand us for speaking up? That’s a complete fabrication.

Pullman Brown

Quoting yourself?
giphy.gif

Thebrownblob

Aren't confusion, delirium, and altered consciousness symptoms of heat stroke which could explain that? In the same paragraph you are referencing it says he was disoriented.
Sure but he’s a veteran if he hadn’t been peeing “all day”, that’s a pretty good sign You need to get some medical attention, or perhaps you have some other medical issues.
The story smacks of sensationalism. Been doing this job a very long time never got to that point without a lot of things telling me something was wrong well before that.

Like I posted after that, the wife was accusing all the other drivers of “not wanting to talk” because of some sort of retaliation lol. there’s no retaliation and everyone loves to talk. Maybe they know him quite well.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Most of our (drivers) problems start before we even show up for work. Horrible pre-loaders and dispatching. Duplicate sequences numbers is a biggie. If we can get lazy dispatchers to split those that would eliminate much of our time in the ruck.

AC isn’t the answer. Dispatching/preload, along allowing the :censored2: down and enforcing the 9.5 list is.

And we all know none of those are going to get better, lol. Have to protect your own self when the work conditions get bad. Hydrate, cool off, slow down, take some extra five minute breaks here and there. Open up the back door and sort in the shade. All you can really do. I don’t think the union can solve heat stroke problems nationwide unless they give us reefer vans. But I know they’ll back me up when I say “sorry boss it was 100 out I can’t move any faster when it’s that hot.”

10:30 resi

Sure but he’s a veteran if he hadn’t been peeing “all day”, that’s a pretty good sign You need to get some medical attention, or perhaps you have some other medical issues.
The story smacks of sensationalism. Been doing this job a very long time never got to that point without a lot of things telling me something was wrong well before that.

Like I posted after that, the wife was accusing all the other drivers of “not wanting to talk” because of some sort of retaliation lol. there’s no retaliation and everyone loves to talk. Maybe they know him quite well.
Yep, he is a veteran who knows the signs of heat illness. So obviously experience and training alone are not enough to prevent heat illness.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
And we all know none of those are going to get better, lol. Have to protect your own self when the work conditions get bad. Hydrate, cool off, slow down, take some extra five minute breaks here and there. Open up the back door and sort in the shade. All you can really do. I don’t think the union can solve heat stroke problems nationwide unless they give us reefer vans. But I know they’ll back me up when I say “sorry boss it was 100 out I can’t move any faster when it’s that hot.”
Most don’t but have the guts to do what needs to be done. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have so many drivers bitching about AC. If they were doing the things you said, which are correct, they wouldn’t think they needed it. But, instead, they are in too much in a hurry to take care of themselves. That’s why preload continues to find bright yellow, orange, or dark brown piss bottles in the truck that run in town and are within a quarter mile of numerous restrooms with AC. 🤦‍♂️

I think the duplicate sequence number problem is an easy fix and would help alot. And, ironically, is supposed to be accomplished by people sitting behind a computer in a room with AC.