UPS hasn't bought any new pkg cars this year, avoiding promised AC.

Big Babooba

We got a brand new yard shifter last month. It has A/C. Ironically, it's the least used. Nobody likes it because the controls are different. I told them that will change when the temperatures get really hot.

10:30 resi

When I started Preloaders made $.50/hr less then top rate drivers after 90 days and we weren't chased off the clock after 3 1/2 hours. Might be a good place to start with for better load quality.
Might be a good place to start for better load quality. Not sure if it is a good place to start for reducing heat casualties.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
If a package car with 500 miles on it gets delivered to my building and does not have air conditioning I will find out about it. If the preload staffs 199 employees tonight instead of 200 I will have no clue.

If CNN writes an article titled "UPS promised new delivery vans with AC. It hasn’t bought any" that may elicit some response from the public. If CNN writes an article titled "local UPS building short a couple loaders" the public is unlikely to care.

Improving load quality during the hotter months so that drivers don’t have to spend so much time in the back of package car is a good idea. Can you think of any way to quantify load quality so that I can be written into our contract? I cannot.
Most of our (drivers) problems start before we even show up for work. Horrible pre-loaders and dispatching. Duplicate sequences numbers is a biggie. If we can get lazy dispatchers to split those that would eliminate much of our time in the ruck.

AC isn’t the answer. Dispatching/preload, along allowing the :censored2: down and enforcing the 9.5 list is.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
I can only speak for my building but we got boat loads of new cars in over the last two years. All the 113s are gone. All the diesels are gone. We don’t have a car older than a 2010. I’ll be close to retirement by the time I get a car with AC. It was a dumb contract fight for the union to get into. It is pointless. It won’t work with the cars being turned off at every stop. The fans are great, even if it’s hot air. I haven’t seen any cars retrofitted with heat shielding or those spinning fans on the roof. I’ve only occasionally driven cars with them and never really noticed a difference. My one complaint would be the need to re wire the fan to allow it to be on when the car is off.
By your theory during the winter heaters don't work either. Lol. Smh...

10:30 resi

Today our PCM topic was that last night a driver in the next state over had a heart attack behind the wheel during his return to building and passed away. It seemed to me that the supervisor giving PCM believes it could be heat related because his next words were "be sure to listen to your body, drink plenty of water and take cool-down breaks if you need to." The only other detail our supervisor shared is that this gentleman was 2 months from retirement.
Rest In Peace Brother.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Nothing to see here. The state of journalism in this country is appalling. This is a click bait piece with no context and understanding of the situation. I don’t know why the Union would be displeased with the situation-the company hasn’t broken the contract. There is no specific language forcing the company to have a certain amount in by a certain date.
Is there not?

Typically the contract states that the company must replace vehicles at a min rate.

Thebrownblob

I didn’t read too far, wasn’t necessary, as soon as he said he wasn’t able to urinate why didn’t he go to the doctor?

It’s really easy, you call and tell them to come get you off Car and if they don’t, you call an ambulance.