FedEx Ground

XEQaF

IWBF is just unhappy about the fact that we shot his ego full of holes and completely discredited the image he was trying to lay on us as being this successful and creative visionary when the simple fact of the matter is that there is absolutely nothing you do as a FXG contractor that is NOT subject to FXG oversight and direction and the contract language they slap down in from of you makes certain that you fully comply.

I do like his input and I won't doubt his business acumen or the successful journey his contract has given him. In no way shape or form is a Ground Contractor who serves a predetermined contract an "entrepreneur". The mere definition of being an entrepreneur does not fit someone who is put in place to manage a portion of someone else's business following a guideline they are expected to follow.

XEQaF

oh wow I didn't know they screened people that quick with all the background checks and making sure they aren't a criminal and all. Damn when I was a contractor they made sure all my vehicles had cameras and I had to take pictures for them to approve and assign it a number. They even discharged a driver of mine who was on my payroll imagine that. You must have a different contract then. lol

bacha29

I do like his input and I won't doubt his business acumen or the successful journey his contract has given him. In no way shape or form is a Ground Contractor who serves a predetermined contract an "entrepreneur". The mere definition of being an entrepreneur does not fit someone who is put in place to manage a portion of someone else's business following a guideline they are expected to follow.
Indeed. As a FXG contractor you're simply a nonemployee "yes" man with a lot of your money in the arena whose fate is riding on decisions some other person makes and migrant farm workers have better protection under the law than you have.

It will be fine

oh wow I didn't know they screened people that quick with all the background checks and making sure they aren't a criminal and all. Damn when I was a contractor they made sure all my vehicles had cameras and I had to take pictures for them to approve and assign it a number. They even discharged a driver of mine who was on my payroll imagine that. You must have a different contract then. lol
If you have someone that knows the system you can have a driver approved to drive in 3 days. I had a helper approved in an afternoon this week, she started the next day. You can run any type of vehicle you want to. If you want to be paid to carry the FedEx brand on it you need to meet their specifications. It’s not a big deal. They can’t fire your people, they can disqualify them from providing services for FedEx.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Controls what environment? FedEx sorts the boxes where I tell them to. They expect them to be delivered and make me an offer on what they’re willing to pay to get that done. If it’s not worth it I can walk away, I’ve seen it happen. It’s not a big deal.
Until they decide they're just not into you anymore and it sinks in that you need to find a new way to make a living.

XEQaF

If you have someone that knows the system you can have a driver approved to drive in 3 days. I had a helper approved in an afternoon this week, she started the next day. You can run any type of vehicle you want to. If you want to be paid to carry the FedEx brand on it you need to meet their specifications. It’s not a big deal. They can’t fire your people, they can disqualify them from providing services for FedEx.
Ok so going back to the original question of "controlling the environment" what you just explained in itself is your acceptance of their control on your business. It's theirs essentially. Their specifications and your acceptance.

bacha29

Oh, there's such a huge difference between firing your employee and FXG simply disqualifying them. And if they file a complaint with your state labor department or decides to sue on the basis of one or more rules of law......guess who's going to be the defendant? it sure ain't going to be good old FXG.

XEQaF

Oh, there's such a huge difference between firing your employee and FXG simply disqualifying them. And if they file a complaint with your state labor department or decides to sue on the basis of one or more rules of law......guess who's going to be the defendant? it sure ain't going to be good old FXG.
It would be an interesting case. I personally would love to see how that plays out. Not even sure if there is a precedent

bacha29

Ok so going back to the original question of "controlling the environment" what you just explained in itself is your acceptance of their control on your business. It's theirs essentially. Their specifications and your acceptance.
It was always a case with FXG whereby if it was in their best interest that you're an employee, you were an employee. If it was in their best interest that you're an independent contractor then you were an independent contractor. They've always wanted it both ways. And after awhile you get so tired of it that there's no amount of money that will justify continuing to be under their absolute control.

It will be fine

I don’t take issue with their qualifications for drivers or helpers. It’s a standard practice for truck leases to a motor carrier. It’s not a real issue that has much impact on how I operate. I can see how it was a bigger deal when my operation was much smaller. One driver made a big difference then. These days I don’t much care if an applicant gets denied or if one breaks the rules and gets themselves DQ’d. It doesn’t change my business materially at all.

XEQaF

I don’t take issue with their qualifications for drivers or helpers. It’s a standard practice for truck leases to a motor carrier. It’s not a real issue that has much impact on how I operate. I can see how it was a bigger deal when my operation was much smaller. One driver made a big difference then. These days I don’t much care if an applicant gets denied or if one breaks the rules and gets themselves DQ’d. It doesn’t change my business materially at all.

I can respect your thoughts on that and where it stacks up on your importance scale. I feel as though some measures are imposing to the operations of a contractor. Let me accept your framework but let me operate in a law abiding fashion that will allow me to scale my business. Disqualify a driver for something obvious like theft for example totally understandable but if it is for something I don't agree with a unilateral decision imposed on my company I expect a discussion. As a contractor you should value your people and have their back. If you do that they will have yours. FedEx won't support you like a good driver will

AB831

It was always a case with FXG whereby if it was in their best interest that you're an employee, you were an employee. If it was in their best interest that you're an independent contractor then you were an independent contractor. They've always wanted it both ways. And after awhile you get so tired of it that there's no amount of money that will justify continuing to be under their absolute control.
Similar to how you're a full time employee when it benefits express and a part time one when it benefits you?

It will be fine

It would be an interesting case. I personally would love to see how that plays out. Not even sure if there is a precedent
I’ve been sued by a driver DQd by FedEx. It wasn’t a huge deal. They had too many accidents but they sued for everything under the sun, racism, discrimination, wages etc. That’s what insurance is for, got it tossed eventually just took a while. FedEx was never involved, they didn’t need to be.

It will be fine

I can respect your thoughts on that and where it stacks up on your importance scale. I feel as though some measures are imposing to the operations of a contractor. Let me accept your framework but let me operate in a law abiding fashion that will allow me to scale my business. Disqualify a driver for something obvious like theft for example totally understandable but if it is for something I don't agree with a unilateral decision imposed on my company I expect a discussion. As a contractor you should value your people and have their back. If you do that they will have yours. FedEx won't support you like a good driver will
I expect my drivers to do their jobs. Drivers won’t pay my bills like FedEx does. If a driver is in the right I’ll do what I can to protect their job, if they break the rules I couldn’t care less.