Gun control advocates in Ferguson MO

bbsam

Staff member
Prosecution has a huge advantage in a grand jury where they get to present the facts in a way to make the accused appear as guilty as possible and the defense has no chance to counter those arguments. All a grand jury does is decide whether there is enough evidence to proceed with a trial. If a grand jury decides against prosecution that indicates an extremely weak case. But this is a political trial with pressure to proceed even if the facts don't warrant it. If it does go forward to a trial then there will be months of riots instead of the whole affair winding down after a brief period of violence.
It's possible that this is both a political trial and one with enough evidence to proceed. The grand jury is hearing from the prosecution and may have just enough concern of a crime to proceed. If they error on the side of caution, the prosecution will fail and Wilson will be found "not guilty".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had case locally where an 86 year old man was accused of hitting and killing a 27 year old woman who was jogging on the side of the road. The man had been drinking. The DA presented his case to the Grand Jury which returned with a decision not to hold over for trial. The DA, after considerable research, presented the case to a second Grand Jury, which ruled in his favor. Many, myself included, accused the DA of "grand jury shopping" and questioned whether his actions violated the defendant's rights against double jeopardy. The case settled out of court shortly before the jury was set to begin deliberations and the defendant is currently serving time in a local jail.

There is no question that Wilson has to resign. Unfortunately, his resignation will do little to calm things down as there are many, especially out-of-towners, who are looking for any reason to riot.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Problem is there's too many in the court of public opinion that have deemed him guilty
That's their problem and they happen to be wrong. We shouldn't cater to people who want to take the law into their own hands. And we can't let these people dictate to us, on what law abiding people can or can't do.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
34rhjiv.jpg

"Well, I agree that Michael Brown Jr. is "Gone Too Soon".

And if his father had actually BEEN a father, raised his son, supervised his son, mentored his son, and taught his son the kind of values that I have taught my children, then his son would still be alive.

Instead, his son learned to be a THUG and died a THUG's death. Good frickin' riddance. Burn down the whole daggone city for all I care."

But don't ask me what I really think
icon_razz.gif

realbrown1

Agreed, but that isn't how its going to play out in the real world.
I actually like the thought of Wilson staying a cop. Anyone giving him difficulties should be punished to the FULL extent of the law.
Take even more thugs off the street because Wilson would be a thug magnet.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I actually like the thought of Wilson staying a cop. Anyone giving him difficulties should be punished to the FULL extent of the law.
Take even more thugs off the street because Wilson would be a thug magnet.
To be an effective police officer, one must be able to peacefully interact with and cooperate with members of the community. Rightly or wrongly, Wilson will only be able to do that in Idaho or Montana.

realbrown1

To be an effective police officer, one must be able to peacefully interact with and cooperate with members of the community. Rightly or wrongly, Wilson will only be able to do that in Idaho or Montana.
Why? Are you saying only WHITE people are law abiding?

soberups

FWIW, here is my opinion of what probably transpired.

Brown bumrushed Wilson and had him on his back in his patrol car. Probably punched him in the face a couple times. Wilson was getting beat down, he was stunned and confused and scared and amped on adrenaline, so when he was able to draw his weapon he spazzed his way through a full mag in a split second. Brown may indeed have caught a couple of rounds after his hands were up, but that does not imply premeditation or criminal intent on the part of Wilson.

soberups

Why? Are you saying only WHITE people are law abiding?
No, I am saying that "thug magnets" cannot do an effective job of maintaining the peace of the community that they are supposed to serve. There is a lot more to being a cop than shooting or beating up bad guys.

realbrown1

No, I am saying that "thug magnets" cannot do an effective job of maintaining the peace of the community that they are supposed to serve. There is a lot more to being a cop than shooting or beating up bad guys.
Assign 1 or 2 other officers to patrol with Wilson. Have body cameras on all officers. It would be like catching fish in a barrel.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Prosecution has a huge advantage in a grand jury where they get to present the facts in a way to make the accused appear as guilty as possible and the defense has no chance to counter those arguments. All a grand jury does is decide whether there is enough evidence to proceed with a trial. If a grand jury decides against prosecution that indicates an extremely weak case. But this is a political trial with pressure to proceed even if the facts don't warrant it. If it does go forward to a trial then there will be months of riots instead of the whole affair winding down after a brief period of violence.
It's good to see you recognize how much power the prosecutor has in this process. Given his background, surely you understand why people are skeptical about his ability to deliver a fair outcome.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Police: Woman allegedly kills herself with gun bought to prepare for Ferguson unrest
The female victim, identified in a police report as Becca Campbell, 26, was a passenger in a car involved in an auto accident. Her 33-year-old boyfriend was driving, the sources told CNN.
The boyfriend, who wasn't identified, told police that the couple had bought a gun because of fears of unrest related to the pending grand jury decision on the shooting of Michael Brown, the sources said.

He told investigators that as they drove late Friday night, the victim waved a gun, jokingly saying the couple were ready for Ferguson, the sources said.

He ducked to get out of the way of the gun and accidentally rear-ended another car. He said the accident caused the gun to go off and she was struck by a bullet in the head, the sources said.

Paul Hampel ‏@phampel
1. On 8/18, I took this pic of #Ferguson protester Becca Campbell arguing w a cop. Campbell was fatally shot on Fri.

Brentwood, MO

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Police: Woman allegedly kills herself with gun bought to prepare for Ferguson unrest
The female victim, identified in a police report as Becca Campbell, 26, was a passenger in a car involved in an auto accident. Her 33-year-old boyfriend was driving, the sources told CNN.
The boyfriend, who wasn't identified, told police that the couple had bought a gun because of fears of unrest related to the pending grand jury decision on the shooting of Michael Brown, the sources said.

He told investigators that as they drove late Friday night, the victim waved a gun, jokingly saying the couple were ready for Ferguson, the sources said.

He ducked to get out of the way of the gun and accidentally rear-ended another car. He said the accident caused the gun to go off and she was struck by a bullet in the head, the sources said.

Paul Hampel ‏@phampel
1. On 8/18, I took this pic of #Ferguson protester Becca Campbell arguing w a cop. Campbell was fatally shot on Fri.

Brentwood, MO

Hahaha. Karma. A gun isn't a toy! Don't aim it at something/someone that you wish to kill