guns

Necropostophiliac

This guy massacres 77 people and could get as little as 10 years?

How about a year for each one he kiled. At least that would be 77 years and would insure he never gets out alive.

Norway court deems Breivik sane, sentences killer to prison | Fox News

I was listening to the radio and heard the max in Norway is 22 years for any crime.

He will have a cell with three rooms. Sleeping room, workout room, and office.

In faireness after 22 years they (the prison system) must determine you are rehabbed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I would imagine that shooting at someone who points a gun at you is pretty much an instinctive, automatic reaction. The adrenaline kicks in, and sh&t happens. I'm glad that the bystanders are all going to be OK, and instead of blaming the police I hope the blame is assigned to the criminal who created the situation in the first place. At least they put enough lead into him to make sure he assumes room temperature.

I would imagine that shooting at someone who points a gun at you is pretty much an instinctive, automatic reaction. The adrenaline kicks in, and sh&t happens. I'm glad that the bystanders are all going to be OK, and instead of blaming the police I hope the blame is assigned to the criminal who created the situation in the first place. At least they put enough lead into him to make sure he assumes room temperature.

Word in the story was they were within arms reach when he pulled his handgun. Still the officers did worse harm than the shooter. Being that close, and I would assume wearing a vest, swarm the guy to the ground. Blasting away and missing at that range is pretty bad.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Word in the story was they were within arms reach when he pulled his handgun. Still the officers did worse harm than the shooter. Being that close, and I would assume wearing a vest, swarm the guy to the ground. Blasting away and missing at that range is pretty bad.

Are you saying that the indiscriminate use of a firearm in a hectic environment could do more harm than good? Wouldn't this fly in the face of all of those who said that the outcome would/could have been different had one or more of those at the theater in Colorado been armed? These were trained professionals in a well-lit, smoke-free enviorment and there was still collateral damage--can you imagine the collateral damage resulting from a civilian trying to aim and fire in a crowded, smoke-filled movie theater?

Do I think that someone with a firearm in that situation could have brought it to a faster conclusion, yes. Do I believe that the vast majority of firearm owners have what it takes to act in that real life situation by immediately drawing their weapon, and firing on an attacker and hitting them in a split second, no. Myself included. One can practice all they want but in practice there are no live bullets coming back at you at the same time. Only a very select few expieriance that such as military personnel. The vast majority of the police in this country will never draw their weapon outside of a firing range. Despite what some say on here it's not the OK Corral in America. The first instinct based on survival is to take cover. Acess the situation. Establish the target. Then fire if possible. But for shiz sake you don't empty a weapon blindly. You'll do more harm than good. If you don't have a clean shot fire into the air and draw the attackers attention and allow people to run and take cover. If a shot opens up, take it.

soberups

Are you saying that the indiscriminate use of a firearm in a hectic environment could do more harm than good? Wouldn't this fly in the face of all of those who said that the outcome would/could have been different had one or more of those at the theater in Colorado been armed? These were trained professionals in a well-lit, smoke-free enviorment and there was still collateral damage--can you imagine the collateral damage resulting from a civilian trying to aim and fire in a crowded, smoke-filled movie theater?
Collateral damage is an acceptable risk when we are talking about a lunatic with an AR-15, a 12 gauge shotgun and a Glock 23 who walks into a theater and starts slaughtering people.

Colorado is a " shall issue" state, so there is a strong statistical probability that one or more of the noviegoers was in fact armed. We may never know for certain.

soberups

No, these were NYC police officers who probably "qualified" once or twice a year against paper targets on a well-lit range. I did read in the news that neither of them had ever fired their weapons in the line of duty.

The key word in your post is the word "indiscriminate". Obviously, the "indiscriminate" use of a gun in a crowded theater is a bad thing. However, if there is a murderer on a rampage who is already using his guns "indiscriminately", then the only chance that anyone has is for a trained person with a gun to use that gun in a discriminating manner by pumping rounds into the bad guy until he is dead.

There are a lot of cops who are not well trained in the use of their guns. Many of them only get the minimum amount of practice or qualification that is required by their department. However...any civilian who is willing to invest the time, effort and money towards getting a carry permit is more than likely a gun enthusiast who voluntarily puts time in at the range. The range I belong to hosts IPSC pistol matches, and most of those guys could outshoot the average cop while wearing a blindfold.

packageguy

Why I Carry a Gun

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

I am not a gun person, I fight the old fashion way, with my hands.
By the way I like your posts....

Collateral damage is an acceptable risk when we are talking about a lunatic with an AR-15, a 12 gauge shotgun and a Glock 23 who walks into a theater and starts slaughtering people.

Unless you or yours are the collateral damage.

I mean no disrespect toward your views on the fact someone could have ended the CO or many other attacks sooner. I do feel however ,based on every gun owning person I know and that's a lot, that if a shooting situation started to a person every person from civilian to cop to ex-military would take cover first and assess the situation as they drew their firearms. And those are the ones I feel wouldn't panic when the bullets came in their direction. The amount of time may be only a few seconds but I strongly feel they all would take it. That in itself would save lives. If in the hypothetical situation more than one samaritan had fire arms and draw them at the sign of trouble I wouldn't want samaritan #1 shooting #2 just because he was the first person seen with a gun. I also wouldn't want anyone in the line of fire in case I missed or a through shot. I feel with a questionable background shooting into the air will get the attention of the attacker, allow or encourage people to run, and possible allow a better shot.

You are correct on the police training.

klein

Für Meno :)
I don't think anyone is well trained to shoot people (besides those that have been to war).
Every single bullet shot by a police officer must be accounted for, even if it's a warning shot (protocol they must fill out a repost after firing a gun, outside the police owned shooting range).

However, I seen it enough times on the news or other news channels, that once 1 cop fires, the rest of them fire, too.
Which is lack of communcation - it should be only 1 with authority.
But, then again, you need to avoid situations like Waco, Texas or Mayerthorpe, Alberta, where several FBI Agents or RCMP officers got shot and killed, and then again, we blame the police for not taking a harder and tougher effort to take down the subject(s).

I don't blame the police at all. It's 1 of the worlds most dangerous jobs out there, and their shift work sucks , too. Adjust to day and night sleep week by week, working weekends, etc.
I wouldn't want to do it, esspeicially not in those "right to carry States". Stopping a vehicle - you never know if they are armed or not.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. —
Instead of saving money at a Northside dollar store, a 57-year-old grandfather ends up saving the day.
The man was doing some late-night shopping at the Dollar General store on Dunn Avenue when all of the sudden, two men stormed in and tried robbing it.
Unfortunately for one of them, the man happens to have a concealed weapons permit, and Lt. Rob Schoonover with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says the man wasted no time springing into action.
"There was a citizen who had a concealed firearms permit that was inside the store as a customer," says Lt. Schoonover. "He fired at the suspect, striking him and killing him."
The other robber ended up getting away -- he is described by police as a black male about 6 feet tall and wearing a blue bandana. He drove off in a small SUV.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Have a gun.Some words to the wise. Shooting Advice from various Concealed Carry Instructors. If you own a gun, you will appreciate this. If not, you should get one and learn how to use it.

A) Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.

B) It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

C) Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.

D) Never let someone or something that threatens you get inside arms length.

E) Never say “I’ve got a gun.” If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

friend) The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

G) The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win – cheat if necessary.

H) Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets…You may get killed with your own gun, but he’ll have to beat you to death with it, cause it’ll be empty.

I) If you’re in a gun fight:
If you’re not shooting, you should be loading.
If you’re not loading, you should be moving.
If you’re not shooting, moving or loading, you’re probably dead.

J) In a life and death situation, do something…It may be wrong, but do something!

K) If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

L) You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much a universal language.

M) You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.

“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading,” — Thomas Jefferson

Read more: CJ Grisham's 13 Rules Of Gunfighting Everyone Should Know - Business Insider

Babagounj

Strength through joy
SAN ANTONIO - A woman is in critical condition after she was stabbed outside her child's school Tuesday morning.

The attack happened around 10:00 a.m. Tuesday outside the Bonham Academy on St. Mary's Street. Teresa Barron, 38, had just dropped off her child at the school when the child's father showed up, and the two got into an argument. The child's father, 38-year-old Roberto Barron allegedly then stabbed the woman several times in the upper body and neck area.

Police say a bystander who happened to be a concealed handgun license holder pulled his weapon and ordered Barron to drop the knife. Barron surrendered and was taken into custody by the bystander and a school district officer.

The woman was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center.

Barron was arrested for aggravated assault, and is in jail on a $150,000 bond.