guns

bbsam

Staff member
scared of what?
Exactly. Fear can be the most irrational of emotions and acting irrationally can in gun cases be very deadly. Much less so with a baseball bat, knife, crowbar, etc.

"Fear is surely a bar to reason, and to love, and of course it invariably powers anger, vainglory and aggression. It underlies maudlin guilt and paralyzing depression."--Bill Wilson

In short, people do stupid things when scared. Just ask Zimmerman.

bbsam

Staff member
you are painting a very broad brush on gun owners.... do you envision Sober as a scared person also?
I am not painting the picture of gun owners but of people in general. People are terrified of losing what they have or not getting what they think they should.

island1fox

Where would you suggest ?

Nyc where people are pushed off subway platforms onto on coming trains ?
Chicago were more people are shot everyday than most war zones ?
Detroit that has become a war torn city ?
Along the southern border where citizens live in fear of Mexican gangs outfitted with military weapons ?
Wash DC where unless there is a function to go to at night , no one dares to go out at night ?

TOS,

Is probably talking about HEAVEN. Never mind that would be too religious for him.

island1fox

Google "Box O' Truth" and look at how poorly the .410 rounds perform on ballistic gelatin tests.

sober,

Not to beat this to death on the 410 shells ----but-I have a Question for you. In a panic situation such as a home invasion scenario(I know TOS THINKS THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE) Would the 410 shells be a better option ?

A former special forces person that I have been taking a few safety and shooting lessons from --told me to look into packing or loading your own shells --with a few larger pellets.

This may only be in his response to --at the moment -- to my less than perfect shooting skills.

The most important thing this person has taught me is this ---Your first emotion in a hostile situation is FEAR --that is normal but do not let it freeze you ---you have to quickly turn your fear into anger and your survival instinct ---He says we all have it !!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
sober,

Not to beat this to death on the 410 shells ----but-I have a Question for you. In a panic situation such as a home invasion scenario(I know TOS THINKS THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE) Would the 410 shells be a better option ?

A former special forces person that I have been taking a few safety and shooting lessons from --told me to look into packing or loading your own shells --with a few larger pellets.

This may only be in his response to --at the moment -- to my less than perfect shooting skills.

The most important thing this person has taught me is this ---Your first emotion in a hostile situation is FEAR --that is normal but do not let it freeze you ---you have to quickly turn your fear into anger and your survival instinct ---He says we all have it !!

Id like to know where you people live where you live in such fear? Ive own many homes in many towns, and NOT ONE of those towns I felt so threatened I needed to take lessons from a "special forces" guy..?

Is "doomsday preppers" really that gripping of a show?

I laugh at those stories.

Peace

TOS

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am not painting the picture of gun owners but of people in general. People are terrified of losing what they have or not getting what they think they should.

I'm familiar with that quote.

The deal is, people who are terrified of inantimate objects like guns simply cannot fathom how a person could regard owning or carrying one as nothing more than a reasonable precaution.

For instance--when I drive my car, I am not "terrified" of getting in an accident, or breaking down by the side of the road, or getting a dead battery. Nonetheless, I still choose to take the reasonable precaution of wearing a seatbelt and keeping tools and jumper cables in the trunk of my car. I do this because I know that life has a way of throwing situations at us that are potentially dangerous, and that trying to anticipate and prepare for such situations is a prudent thing to do. My gun is simply another inantimate object that I choose to have in case I am confronted with such a situation.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
sober,

!!

My suggestion would be to have a plan already in place for dealing with a home invasion that involves you taking cover in a fixed location (such as behind your bed or closet door) with a wall behind you so that you can only be approached from one angle. This location should be within reach of a phone that you can call 911 on. If you are not confident in your handgun skills, then perhaps a 12 gauge shotgun would be a better choice. Unlike the .410, the 12 gauge packs a serious punch and with a short barrel the pattern will spread out enough at 10 or 15 feet to increase your chances of a hit.

You mention a "panic situation". Something to bear in mind is that, once shots are fired, you arent the only one who will be panicked and amped up on adrenaline. The bad guy will be too, and particularly if you add the effect of drugs or alcohol to the equation you can wind up with a bad guy who is so jacked up that he wont even feel bullets or know that he has been shot. Such people can take multiple center-of-mass hits and keep on doing what they want to do for several minutes before they finally bleed out. There are many documented cases of this, which makes it all the more imperitive to stay away from underpowered rounds like the .410.

bbsam

Staff member
But I am not terrified of guns. I simply believe that there is enough "crazy" in my fellow man that the idea that we would all be safer if everyone packed heat simply holds no water. If all folks ever know how to use is a hammer, every breakdown requires the same inanimate object.