guns

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have given serious consideration to becoming a school bus driver once I am eligible to retire from UPS in 4 yrs. Easy on the body, summers off, a nice way to supplement a pension, and with my work and driving record they would hire me in a heartbeat.

I can tell you this; if I am driving the bus and some armed lunatic gets in and demands that I hand over the children, hes going to be exiting that bus with about 15 more holes in his body than he had in it when he jumped on board. And if I am still alive when its all over with, I will probably get fired for violating the bus companys "no weapons" policy. And that will be just fine with me.
And until then it will not stop. They, the bad guys will keep attacking where they know ther are no men, and no guns.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have given serious consideration to becoming a school bus driver once I am eligible to retire from UPS in 4 yrs. Easy on the body, summers off, a nice way to supplement a pension, and with my work and driving record they would hire me in a heartbeat.

I can tell you this; if I am driving the bus and some armed lunatic gets in and demands that I hand over the children, hes going to be exiting that bus with about 15 more holes in his body than he had in it when he jumped on board. And if I am still alive when its all over with, I will probably get fired for violating the bus companys "no weapons" policy. And that will be just fine with me.

My former on-car is a substitute bus driver. He loves it---works when he wants to and gets to use some of his area knowledge.

Now, as far as you packing heat while driving a school bus, if I were a parent of one of the kid's on your bus and found out you were packing heat the school district wouldn't have enough insurance to cover the lawsuit that I would file.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

My former on-car is a substitute bus driver. He loves it---works when he wants to and gets to use some of his area knowledge.

Now, as far as you packing heat while driving a school bus, if I were a parent of one of the kid's on your bus and found out you were packing heat the school district wouldn't have enough insurance to cover the lawsuit that I would file.

And you might get away with it because you live in the Peoples Republic of New York, where nanny-state liberal politicians prefer dead victims to armed self defense.

Here in Oregon, your lawsuit would get laughed out of the courtroom, since I would not be violating any laws by carrying concealed with
a permit.

In any case its a moot point, since "concealed" means "concealed" and the only way you would ever know I was armed would be in a situation where you would be damned glad that a good guy with a gun was there to protect your kid from a bad guy with a gun.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Not gun related, I have a cousin and his wife who both drive school buses just for the county benefits like health insurance. The funny thing about it is that his wife inherited several hundreds of acres from her parents farm. They sold the land to a real estate developer before the housing market crashed and made five million dollars off of it. So its hard to judge a person's financial worth just by their vocation. Driving a bus and drawing a pension at the same time is not a bad idea. As far as packing a gun to protect the children, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
And you might get away with it because you live in the Peoples Republic of New York, where nanny-state liberal politicians prefer dead victims to armed self defense.

Here in Oregon, your lawsuit would get laughed out of the courtroom, since I would not be violating any laws by carrying concealed with
a permit.

In any case its a moot point, since "concealed" means "concealed" and the only way you would ever know I was armed would be in a situation where you would be damned glad that a good guy with a gun was there to protect your kid from a bad guy with a gun.
You might not be violating the law but it could still be against school policy for employees to carry while on school property.

soberups

a permit.

You might not be violating the law but it could still be against school policy for employees to carry while on school property.

I know several teachers who carry concealed (legally, with permits) while they are on school property. They are violating the terms of their employment and could get fired if discovered. Their attitude is...if they and their gun are the only thing standing between their students and a would- be mass murderer, then violating school policy is about the last thing they will be giving a :censored2: about.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I know several teachers who carry concealed (legally, with permits) while they are on school property. They are violating the terms of their employment and could get fired if discovered. Their attitude is...if they and their gun are the only thing standing between their students and a would- be mass murderer, then violating school policy is about the last thing they will be giving a :censored2: about.
That's fine as long as you know that going in. Personally if I felt it was necessary to have a handgun with me at all times I wouldn't take a job where doing that could get me fired particularly if it wasn't a job I really needed anyway.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I was considering turning up near Seattle's buyback farce and offering $300 for "ASSAULT" rifles and making a good profit. I have a CWP and nothing to hide. Might as well try to make back some of my wasted tax dollars.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

God forbid a stray bullet fired from one of their guns kills one of their students.

I deliver to 3 schools and one district school office. Access to these facilities is secured by locked exterior and interior doors separated by a foyer-like area. I go to the window, tap on the glass and are let in by someone in the office. They first "unlock" the exterior door and once I am in and that door is closed they "unlock" the interior door. The process is repeated when I leave. Short of having an armed security guard with fixed or hand-held metal detectors our schools are very secure.

soberups

God forbid a stray bullet fired from one of their guns kills one of their students.

I deliver to 3 schools and one district school office. Access to these facilities is secured by locked exterior and interior doors separated by a foyer-like area. I go to the window, tap on the glass and are let in by someone in the office. They first "unlock" the exterior door and once I am in and that door is closed they "unlock" the interior door. The process is repeated when I leave. Short of having an armed security guard with fixed or hand-held metal detectors our schools are very secure.

A determined lunatic with premeditated intent to massacre will find a way thru or around those doors. He could simply mingle with parents who are dropping kids off in the morning and walk right in. The maniacs who have carried out the recent shootings all planned their actions well ahead of time and they like schools because they know that they will not face any armed resistance.

bbsam

Staff member
Ah. Planning. The maniac will simply shoot any and all adults as he comes across them. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
soberups , thanks for post # 4898 .
But the 3D printed mag was named for New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who recently signed a magazine-restriction law limiting mags to seven rounds.
Defense Distributed based in Texas has a grand plan to build many working weapons via 3D printers . Anyone can join in with their own designs .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As for the hostage in the bunker , the cops first had to build a training site just across the road , out of camera views , of what they thought the bunker was like & practice on it before any attempts could be undertaken.

God forbid well aimed bullets kill them all.

Thats the same set up they had at Sandy Hook. Works well 100% of the time doesn't it?

How would it work if Upstate the upset UPS guy went to the doors with a gun in a cardboard box, waved hi to all that knew him, and once let in he begins to fire away?
It'd take one of two things to stop him. A trained school worker with a firearm. Or a sweet old lady from California.

soberups

Ah. Planning. The maniac will simply shoot any and all adults as he comes across them. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.

I think that cameras, locking doors, security systems and limiting access to the building are all critical and necessary parts of an overall plan to help secure the school against an armed assailant. I just dont think that you stop there. Some sort of armed first responder(s) need to be on campus as a last resort. I vote for letting trained teachers who wish to do so carry concealed. I can gurantee you that there already are teachers who do just that, albiet without the knowledge of the school administration. Several of them are members of my gun club. I imagine the same to be true in the other 36 states with "shall issue" concealed carry permit laws.

soberups

One of the members of my gun club is a 3rd grade teacher. He has a permit, and he carries concealed at all times at the school he teaches at.

This guy has already given some thought to what he might do if faced with a Sandy Hook or VA Tech-type scenario. His plan is to have his students get under their desks while he crouches behind his and covers the door with his weapon. He carries an airweight. 38 snubnose revolver with a Crimson Trace laser sight on it, and to avoid the risk of overpenetration/stray bullets he loads it with +P Glaser Safety Slugs. These are thin-walled "cannisters" containing BB's that will penetrate a couple of inches at most into a solid object before detonating. If they hit drywall or sheetrock, they will fragment prior to exiting thus posing little risk to anyone on the other side. If they hit concrete they will break up rather than riccochet. If they hit a human body...they will go in a couple of inches and explode, making an absolultely devastating entrance wound but no exit wound. This guys desk is 8 feet from the door, and at that range...from a rest with the laser sight...head shots on a would-be assailant will be a piece of cake. Whatever else happens in that building, no way in hell will anybody be able to get in and hurt his kids.

soberups

soberups , thanks for post # 4898 .
But the 3D printed mag was named for New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who recently signed a magazine-restriction law limiting mags to seven rounds.
Defense Distributed based in Texas has a grand plan to build many working weapons via 3D printers . Anyone can join in with their own designs .

Can the 3D printer work with metal, or only plastic?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
2nh401k.jpg