guns

I just bought an M1 Garand today and the guy said it was from Normandy and used in D-Day and wanted to know if my rifle could have been. Ther serial number for it is like 2.8m something and also I was wondering of a mark on it of an anchor, does this mean it was the navy?

Or possibly Marines

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Guess I stand corrected.THOSE are definitely M1s. Found other information saying the honor guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier carries M14s. Guess they use both. Personally I would rather drill with an M14 if I had a choice. Much lighter.
The guards at the the Tomb of the Unknowns do carry M14s but they're not Marines, they're soldiers from the Army's 3rd Infantry regiment.

I'm not going to make a lame joke about the Army needing lighter weapons to drill with...:peaceful:

UPS Lifer

The guards at the the Tomb of the Unknowns do carry M14s but they're not Marines, they're soldiers from the Army's 3rd Infantry regiment.

I'm not going to make a lame joke about the Army needing lighter weapons to drill with...:peaceful:

I have a segment about the Guard in my website and I did not realize the Guard was not staffed by the Marines. Shame on me! I have had the honor of seeing the Guard in action back in 1964. I also visited President Kennedy's grave when it was in the grass covered with flowers daily and surrounded by a white picket fence. It was less than 7 months after his assassination. That image is burned into my memory. Arlington is a very special place to visit.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The news says Dorner has a 50cal sniper rifle and is roving in the mountains. How is Law enforcement supposed to get close enough to engage Dorner with their AR? Dorner can shoot at them from 1 mile away.

The UPS motto. A planned day is safe day.

Air strike. Or borrow a tank from the army and flatten the cabin with it.

soberups

I agree but would add that Obama's proposals do not threaten 2nd Amendment rights. Yep. Both sides use hyperbole and flat out lies.

Creeping incrementalism. Look what New York and now California are in the process of doing. The same "logic" that has been used to justify a ten round magazine limit ("..if it will save one child..") can simply be cut-and-pasted into a proposal for a seven round magazine limit. Then six...then four...then one. Weapons that have been legally registered in CA are now being banned and confiscated. I am less worried about Obama himself than I am about the policiticians and judges and policymakers he has surrounded himself with. Their vision of the 2nd Amendment is fundamentally different from mine.

p228

More and more law enforcement organizations are getting their own APCs from the government through DHS grants. I was talking to my friend who is a local cop and he said even the departments in the middle of nowhere that mostly cover farmland are working to get them. In the case of a barricaded suspect, a flat open area makes a covert approach almost impossible. The APC allows them to drive the tactical team right up to the building and even make a new doorway if need be.

UPS Lifer

Creeping incrementalism. Look what New York and now California are in the process of doing. The same "logic" that has been used to justify a ten round magazine limit ("..if it will save one child..") can simply be cut-and-pasted into a proposal for a seven round magazine limit. Then six...then four...then one. Weapons that have been legally registered in CA are now being banned and confiscated. I am less worried about Obama himself than I am about the policiticians and judges and policymakers he has surrounded himself with. Their vision of the 2nd Amendment is fundamentally different from mine.

You are 100% correct.

I had a flat tire in the middle of the desert on I-10 going to California driving alone at dusk - GPS and AAA could not find me. It was dusk and I could hardly walk from a degenerative hip. All my valuables were in trunk covering up the spare. It took me almost 3 hours to change the tire. I never felt more vulnerable in my LIFE!

The irony came when I got back to AZ. I purchased a 9mm Springfield Armory semi with (2) 16 round mags. When I opened the box there was a note inside that said "The 16 round magazine for this weapon is illegal in the state of California"!!!

As a law abiding citizen, I never took that weapon to California.

I would have a major problem with a government that tried to confiscate a legally purchased weapon that "decided" it was illegal now. California has a bunch of loons running that state.

soberups

More and more law enforcement organizations are getting their own APCs from the government through DHS grants. I was talking to my friend who is a local cop and he said even the departments in the middle of nowhere that mostly cover farmland are working to get them. In the case of a barricaded suspect, a flat open area makes a covert approach almost impossible. The APC allows them to drive the tactical team right up to the building and even make a new doorway if need be.

The .50 caliber that Dorner had will punch right through an APC. You need a tank to defeat a 50.

soberups

Ok liberals, lets do a little 2nd Amendment horsetrading.

How about...universal background checks and a ban on hi-cap mags in exchange for 50-state "shall issue" concealed-weapon permits with full reciprocity between states, and granting the holders of carry permits an exemption from the hi-cap ban? Also, posession of a valid carry permit would exempt the holder from having to go thru a background check on a gun purchase since posession of said permit already requires the background check. Carry permits would cost $50 and require a standardized amount of training to be done under the auspices of the NRA.

What say you, liberals? Deal or no deal?

bbsam

Staff member
I will assume that I am considered a liberal and say "no deal". If I am the president, I am already fairly confident on the background checks. Let the Te Nugents of the world howl. Nothing the president is doing threatens the Second Amendment so really there is n reason to trade anything. I bet Dorner had right to carey.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

I guess I'm corrected again. Never been in the service. My Dad trained with M1's. Some were so shot out they were keyholing the targets!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Ok liberals, lets do a little 2nd Amendment horsetrading.

How about...universal background checks and a ban on hi-cap mags in exchange for 50-state "shall issue" concealed-weapon permits with full reciprocity between states, and granting the holders of carry permits an exemption from the hi-cap ban? Also, posession of a valid carry permit would exempt the holder from having to go thru a background check on a gun purchase since posession of said permit already requires the background check. Carry permits would cost $50 and require a standardized amount of training to be done under the auspices of the NRA.

What say you, liberals? Deal or no deal?

Sounds reasonable to me except to them the NRA is a terrorist organization

soberups

I will assume that I am considered a liberal and say "no deal". If I am the president, I am already fairly confident on the background checks. Let the Te Nugents of the world howl. Nothing the president is doing threatens the Second Amendment so really there is n reason to trade anything. I bet Dorner had right to carey.

Why no deal? Im even throwing a feel-good ban on hi-cap mags in there to sweeten the pot. Is it the 50 state carry permit reciprocity you are opposed to?

PS Dorner almost certainly did NOT have a concealed weapons permit; such permits are all but unobtainable in SoCal unless you are Diane Feinstein or one of her wealthy and well-connected cronies.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Saw a clip of Obama and his theatrics........"Gabby Gifford deserves a vote.....the children of Sandy Hook deserve a vote....."

Does he not realize he needs to tell Reid to hold a vote because Reid is not.?

UPS Lifer

Why no deal? Im even throwing a feel-good ban on hi-cap mags in there to sweeten the pot. Is it the 50 state carry permit reciprocity you are opposed to?

PS Dorner almost certainly did NOT have a concealed weapons permit; such permits are all but unobtainable in SoCal unless you are Diane Feinstein or one of her wealthy and well-connected cronies.

I thought you did a nice job thinking that out. Seems very fair. The problem is that the far left does not know how to play well in the sandbox with others. They think that it should be their way or the highway. Both sides have to compromise. To be fair, the far right feels the same.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a segment about the Guard in my website and I did not realize the Guard was not staffed by the Marines. Shame on me! I have had the honor of seeing the Guard in action back in 1964. I also visited President Kennedy's grave when it was in the grass covered with flowers daily and surrounded by a white picket fence. It was less than 7 months after his assassination. That image is burned into my memory. Arlington is a very special place to visit.

I have been to Arlington several times---it does put things in to perspective.

soberups

When it comes to gun issues the difference between liberals and conservatives is simple. Liberals want to feeeel safe, whereas conservatives want to actually be safe.

bbsam

Staff member

no deal because you aren't giving anything the president won't get anyway that means anything. You said it yourself. The clip cap is a feel good. You can keep it. So you have felt the winds change and now want a deal? Why? What are you really "giving"? When you strip away the details, you are trying to negotiate from a week position.

bbsam

Staff member
I thought you did a nice job thinking that out. Seems very fair. The problem is that the far left does not know how to play well in the sandbox with others. They think that it should be their way or the highway. Both sides have to compromise. To be fair, the far right feels the same.

why compromise? So Ted Nugent and LaPierre can save face? What are they willing to give on that matters?