guns

texan

The guards at the the Tomb of the Unknowns do carry M14s but they're not Marines, they're soldiers from the Army's 3rd Infantry regiment.

I'm not going to make a lame joke about the Army needing lighter weapons to drill with...:peaceful:
Hey!!! grrrr be kind Marine "the Army needing lighter weapons to drill with"

Babagounj

Strength through joy
free-people-own-guns-slaves-dont.jpg

texan

Texas man, 21, fatally shoots intruder during home invasion

A 21-year-old Texas man is being credited with protecting his family by shooting one of three men
suspected of forcing their way into their home outside of Houston.

Harris County Sheriff's deputies tell KHOU.com that the man's father was pushed to the ground
by one of the suspects when he answered the door Thursday night.

When the intruders went to attack the mother, the son ran to retrieve his father's gun and fatally
shot one of the suspects, the report states.

The other two suspects reportedly fled the scene.

Read more: Texas man, 21, fatally shoots intruder during home invasion | Fox News

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
:happy-very: We can all agree on one thing --Guns can be an expensive hobby.

In a one hour gun lesson on the Loading/unloading/shooting/handling/cleaning of the Bushmaster I fired 60 rounds of Nato ammo at a cost of 65 Dollars.

I got many good tips from my instructor as well as purchasing Bulk Ammo on-line.

I can disassemble/assemble this weapon in ten minutes ----I will be a stretch for me to improve on that time.:happy-very:

Prior to Newtown, you would have paid $18 to $20 for that amount of ammo. Even less if you bought steel-cased Russian stuff. Dont worry, once the panic ends the price of ammo will come back down.

I envy you. I want an AR-15 ( and Bushmasters are really good ones I am told) but I simply cannot afford/justify the cost of one right now. For the time being I will have to "make do" with my stainless Ruger Mini Thirty.

soberups

If you work at Walmart and one of those yahoo's walks up to the desk, what would you do? Me? I'd have some major cramps and be very vocal about my time of the month and hope to God I annoyed him enough to leave. If not, I bet I'd have to go change something.

I would treat him like any other customer, and politely help him with whatever issue he had while at the same time keeping a close eye on his hands. If his "issue" was an AR-15 hidden under his trench coat that he was intending to use on me or my customers.... then I would simply deposit a 9mm 115 grain +P JHP from my concealed G26 into the middle of his forehead before he had a chance to deploy it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Prior to Newtown, you would have paid $18 to $20 for that amount of ammo. Even less if you bought steel-cased Russian stuff. Dont worry, once the panic ends the price of ammo will come back down.

I envy you. I want an AR-15 ( and Bushmasters are really good ones I am told) but I simply cannot afford/justify the cost of one right now. For the time being I will have to "make do" with my stainless Ruger Mini Thirty.

How's the accuracy on that? I was thinking about one. Maybe stainless?

soberups

How's the accuracy on that? I was thinking about one. Maybe stainless?

I can get about a 3" group at 100 yards, with a scope, using bulk Russian steel cased ammo (Golden Tiger 124 gr). Its not as accurate as a decent AR-15. Remember that the Mini Thirty is using the same round (7.62x39mm) that is used by the AK-47 and SKS. Ballistically it is about the same as a 30-30, and it was never intended to be a tack driver in terms of accuracy. Its plenty accurate for its intended purpose...combat/self defense...and out to 150 yards or so its also adequate for deer sized game. It certainly hits harder than the .223 round used by the AR-15.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I can get about a 3" group at 100 yards, with a scope, using bulk Russian steel cased ammo (Golden Tiger 124 gr). Its not as accurate as a decent AR-15. Remember that the Mini Thirty is using the same round (7.62x39mm) that is used by the AK-47 and SKS. Ballistically it is about the same as a 30-30, and it was never intended to be a tack driver in terms of accuracy. Its plenty accurate for its intended purpose...combat/self defense...and out to 150 yards or so its also adequate for deer sized game. It certainly hits harder than the .223 round used by the AR-15.

I've got a fair bit of soft point stuff. I wonder if my scoped SKS could be used for deer if I could get a magazine blockoff. I'm not too worried about my handgun ammo supply right now. Hear on the news it's getting scarce in stores. I spent a good part of last winter in the garage with my Rockchucker. I'm set for a while.
I know CZ makes a neat little bolt carbine in 7.62x39.

soberups

I've got a fair bit of soft point stuff. I wonder if my scoped SKS could be used for deer if I could get a magazine blockoff. I'm not too worried about my handgun ammo supply right now. Hear on the news it's getting scarce in stores. I spent a good part of last winter in the garage with my Rockchucker. I'm set for a while.
I know CZ makes a neat little bolt carbine in 7.62x39.

With the right ammo, the SKS makes a fine deer gun out to 100-150 yards or so, although most people stick with the iron sights. How is your scope mounted? I've had a couple of SKS's, but my eyesight is getting to where I pretty much have to have a scope and I could never find a way to mount one on an SKS that would hold zero.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
With the right ammo, the SKS makes a fine deer gun out to 100-150 yards or so, although most people stick with the iron sights. How is your scope mounted? I've had a couple of SKS's, but my eyesight is getting to where I pretty much have to have a scope and I could never find a way to mount one on an SKS that would hold zero.

My scope is mounted with an aftermarket reciever back. Had to do a fair bit of filing to get the right fit, but it is very tight and I put Loctite on all the screws. I have another that is all stock except for the extender pad. I have all the Czech Army accessories. I wonder if the lighted reticle would be a problem. Both are Chinese. Buddy of mine has a genuine Russian one made in 1954. The nicest ones I've seen are Romanian.
Haven't been able to determine if zero is staying put because I've only taken it out once and the screws kept loosening. I've seen the mounts up near the gas tube, but I'm not wild about the long eye relief.

soberups

Haven't been able to determine if zero is staying put because I've only taken it out once and the screws kept loosening. I've seen the mounts up near the gas tube, but I'm not wild about the long eye relief.

Even if you can get the screws to stay put, the problem is that you have to remove the receiver cover in order to clean the rifle, and once you do that you will have to reinstall and re-zero the scope..which can only be done by firing the rifle...which means you have to remove the scope to clean it again. Its a vicious circle. The gas tube mounts dont hold zero either, that gas tube gets HOT when you fire the gun which will affect the zero of any scope that is attached to it. Short of drilling and tapping into the side of the receiver, there really isnt any good way to scope an SKS. Even if you pay a 'smith to drill and tap a mount, the position of the scope will prevent you from using stripper clips to load the rifle, and the bottom of the scope will take a beating from the ejected brass. Its a frustrating problem.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Even if you can get the screws to stay put, the problem is that you have to remove the receiver cover in order to clean the rifle, and once you do that you will have to reinstall and re-zero the scope..which can only be done by firing the rifle...which means you have to remove the scope to clean it again. Its a vicious circle. The gas tube mounts dont hold zero either, that gas tube gets HOT when you fire the gun which will affect the zero of any scope that is attached to it. Short of drilling and tapping into the side of the receiver, there really isnt any good way to scope an SKS. Even if you pay a 'smith to drill and tap a mount, the position of the scope will prevent you from using stripper clips to load the rifle, and the bottom of the scope will take a beating from the ejected brass. Its a frustrating problem.

Yeah, the cleaning issue did occur to me. Have you noticed that the elevation changes from when you remove the bayonet? I think it might have something to do with the barrel whip. Maybe a boresight would help with rezeroing without too much firing. East German ammo I have discovered is a good one to avoid. Stinky and dirty.
You know, AK's may be legendary for reliability in extreme abuse, but it seems if you don't have full auto you would be just as well off with the SKS in normal use. I've seen guys rocking the triggers on them till the handguard was smoking and they didn't miss a beat.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Speaking of guns.... You should have seen these Strykers out Fort Lewis I saw 2 summers age going down I-5 to the port heading to Afghanistan. I see Strykers all the time going by to Yakima for manuevers, but these were pretty special. They were fitted with 105's! Biggest package of whupass I've ever seen on tires! Like a mini selfpropelled howitzer.

anonymous4

Yes, 6 months renewal for a 12 month license. Basically, the game being played is since we can't outright ban it today, let's use every loophole and tactic we can to circumvent people holding a license, buying ammo and so fourth. Keep in mind this a constitutional amendment given to us as a free people of the country by our founders. It IS criminal; it really does not take prophetic wisdom to see what is happening.

I see people arguing things like "well-regulated militia" and the wordplay involved. These people have not read the totality of work the men of that time compiled. It is very clear what they thought were essentials to keeping liberty intact. Times have changed but the fundamentals remain true and that's the point.

Not related to guns in general, but in researching mass murders I was surprised to find that some of the deadliest have been through the method of arson. This was something that I had forgotten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daegu_subway_fire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

Looking back I saw I put 6 months for a 12 month license. Typo edit, 6 month renewal (in my case). License is 6 years*. The renewal period can be an issue. I saw a few lawsuits being started against certain police chiefs who don't want to approve of CCW. Hopefully these will succeed. We don't need an equal man making a discretionary call as to what our unalienable rights should be.