guns

moreluck

golden ticket member
Flies in the face of the mass hysteria created by the left.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A pair of reports show that gun homicides have dropped steeply since their 1993 peak, adding fuel to Congress’ battle over restricting firearms.
A study released Tuesday by the government’s Bureau of Justice Statistics found that gun-related homicides dropped from 18,253 in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011. That’s a 39 percent reduction.

Another report by the private Pew Research Center found a similar decline by looking at the rate of gun homicides, which compares the number of killings to the size of the country’s population. It found that the number of gun homicides per 100,000 people fell from 7 percent in 1993 to 3.6 percent in 2010, a drop of nearly half.
Both reports also found the rate of non-fatal crimes involving guns was also down significantly over that period.

The trend in firearm-related homicides is part of a broad nationwide decline in violent crime over past two decades, including incidents not involving firearms.

Nimnim

The Nim
Then if the gun owner is not responsible and it is not an accident, should the right to own the guns be permanently forefieted?

If it can be proved the gun owner was sufficiently negligent and that was what caused it I'd be willing to look into the options, but it's not something I'd want a blanket rule over.

I suppose I should have been more clear in my post though. I put the second "accident" in quotes to allude that if someone was able to get into the safe, load the gun and use it on someone else there was a plan in mind. Kids can be surprisingly smart at times and I wouldn't put it past one to find out the combination or be able to get hold of a key.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If the reports are true that crime committed with guns is down , then we don't need Congress to pass any new laws , what laws we currently have are working .
End of story .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The trend in firearm-related homicides is part of a broad nationwide decline in violent crime over past two decades, including incidents not involving firearms.

So gun deaths and violent crime rates are down....during the same time frame as the number of people who have obtained concealed handgun licenses has gone up.

Interesting.

UPS Lifer

I'd rather be a dumb truck driver than an educated idiot. One of those on BC is more than enough.

Dill,
DON'T EVER sell yourself short like that! It is my point of view that UPS truck drivers are some of the best educated folks that are working today. You don't have to have a degree to be educated.

Sorry if I sound like I am scolding you. BUT I personally know that you are not a dumb truck driver.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
If the reports are true that crime committed with guns is down , then we don't need Congress to pass any new laws , what laws we currently have are working .
End of story .

So gun deaths and violent crime rates are down....during the same time frame as the number of people who have obtained concealed handgun licenses has gone up.

Interesting.

Good to see the deep thinkers weigh in. One would have to wonder what the reason for this is.

A few points:

1) Gun ownership is up, yet households owning guns is down. I suppose this means the crackpot down the street with a basement full of guns is keeping my neighborhood safe.

2)Violent crime is down 75% in the last 20 years, yet gun violence is only down 39%. That would seem that gun violence is actually up, when compared to other violent crime. That doesn't seem to fit the gun lobby's argument, let's ignore that.

3) More people are actually getting shot, but advanced trauma treatment saves many of those lives.

wsjgunshots.JPG

Homicide, Suicide, and Unintentional Firearm Fatality: Compa... : The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery
The rate of gun homicide in the United States still far outpaces other high-income nations, which typically have strong gun laws. A 2003 study by Hemenway that compared the United States to other member countries of the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development found that the firearm homicide rate in the United States is 19.5 times the average of other high-income countries.* This disparity contributed to an overall homicide rate 6.9 times higher than other high-income nations.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nope, of absolutely no interest, and not worthy of the time I have on the planet.

Obviuosly you feel differently.
If you didn't know, then why did you question my placement under the gun thread. If you are uninformed to the facts, then keep your comments to yourself.

I do keep tabs on the news, so when I comment it's correct.....not like you commenting just to hassle my placement of a story.

Last edited:

roadrunner2012

Troll
Voluntary, Spontaneous Organization. OMG IT'S ANARCHY!

Shhhhh, Americans might begin to think and realize you can solve problems without the state.

DIY Law Enforcement

Seems to have not helped the crime situation there.

The Grants Pass Daily Courier reported that burglaries were up 50 percent in Grants Pass and 45 percent in the rest of the southern Oregon county in 2012, compared with the previous year. Prosecutions were down 42 percent.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Sounds like a good area for a vacation home.

Probability pretty cheaply, too.

From same article as above:

Realtor Gerard Fitzgerald said the county is getting a reputation that threatens it economic future.

"People will not buy a house in an unsafe community," Fitzgerald said. "Once a community gets a reputation, it takes a long time to turn that around. If we get branded, it will be very, very serious. Right now, I don't think we have a reputation in Oregon as an unsafe community."
Risk to reputation is a particular concern because people from California move here and visit here, generating jobs, he said.
"If you cannot attract economic growth, then we do not have the jobs," Fitzgerald said. "We have a service economy. We now may have something that could threaten that service economy. We need to find a permanent, stable method of funding."