guns

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Are you suggesting an inanimate object with no input from any human being whatsoever is going to just go off on its own?
Nope, I'm just saying that Palin is an idiot, as are those that go out of their way to defend this grifter.

I'm also smart enough to never point a gun at myself, and then pose for a picture.

Welcome to the club!

over9five

Staff member
scratch was able to see it empty.

Nice try, but both Scratch and BUG provided rational reasons why the gun was probably empty.
Those other guys were going with the :censored2: spew. "the gun might go off by itself!" (Oh, my!) Or maybe they were worried the dead bear might pick up the gun and shoot the woman...

bbsam

Staff member
I gave a rational explanation of why it might be loaded. Long story short, you don't walk up on a wounded bear without a loaded weapon.

bbsam

Staff member
In fact, when hunting big game, I believe it is customary to carry either a 9mm or .45 sidearm in addition to the rifle.

bbsam

Staff member
Of course, it's possible she wasn't the one to shoot the bear. She could simply be what one calls a "poser". She does have experience in that role.

bbsam

Staff member
Why would you shoot a bear with a 9mm, do you want to piss it off?

Because if you get too close to a wounded big game animal you may not have the time or room to aim the 30-06. Think of it as close in combat. And no, you don't want a .22 for that.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
scratch was able to see it empty.

Scratch used to hunt white tail deer with those dangerous guns and knows a little about this subject. Yes, I have cut a deer's belly wide open with a knife and dumped its steamy guts onto the ground, the first time was certainly interesting. Since I have been identified a a redneck by one of this forum's experts on human relations, I will offer my opinion on this photo.

When I looked at the photo, I noticed Palin got herself a bear. She has been an avid hunter for several decades, she started with her father. The Palins have freezers full of wild game, her family likes moose the most. I saw a show where she shot one on film before, I doubt she is "posing". Its common for hunters to take a trophy photo. I have one with the first buck I shot on the family farm property. I can't see the manufacturer or know the caliber of her rifle, but I noticed that it looks like a bolt action and like BUG stated, the lens caps are back on the scope. With a bolt action, you have to manually pull the bolt back and shove it back into the breech to chamber a round, the rifle doesn't load another shot automatically by itself. Anybody with any knowledge of hunting or guns would know that this rifle is unloaded, its included in the photo as a reminder of which rifle was used in this particular hunt.

Palin is not running for office, she is currently having the time of her life doing what she wants and making a ton of money. It must really hurt the mental giants that certain progressives think they are, to be outdone by a woman who is much more successful than them.:wink2:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close. The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum, Missouri, and owned and operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since 1892.
The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri’s extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its “primary” designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. …
Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.
It would be hard to imagine a better example of the Obama Regime’s use of the EPA to impose backdoor tyranny. We would let you have guns, but you see lead causes air pollution.
If you think ammo prices are high now, wait until they close the smelter.
[A]fter the Herculaneum smelter closes its doors in December, entirely domestic manufacture of conventional ammunition, from raw ore to finished cartridge, will be impossible.
The national security implications of severely curtailing our ability to produce our own ammunition are obvious. But to our current rulers, national security means something very different from what it did in the past. The idea is no longer to defend America from foreign threats, but to impose the ultimate threat from within.
Moonbattery

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
scratch, You being the great hunter would know, that bear meat tastes like crap. Blood sport is all she's after.
Palin is a grifter, and those that support her are marks, nothing more.

No, she's not running for office, that would require commitment, she is just playing her marks.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Love those crazy :censored2:s who can see through steel to that loaded round!
It's not just you it's a lot of people around here... but seriously:
Define libtard. I'm really getting sick of seeing that word around here. I get it, you think liberals are RETARDED right? Grow up and find a better way to get your point across. Do you know any people with intellectual disabilities? It's not about political correctness, it's about not being a complete toolbag..... it's called tact, try it out.
[video=youtube;ouJl7dSw5FE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouJl7dSw5FE[/video]

bbsam

Staff member
Scratch used to hunt white tail deer with those dangerous guns and knows a little about this subject. Yes, I have cut a deer's belly wide open with a knife and dumped its steamy guts onto the ground, the first time was certainly interesting. Since I have been identified a a redneck by one of this forum's experts on human relations, I will offer my opinion on this photo.

When I looked at the photo, I noticed Palin got herself a bear. She has been an avid hunter for several decades, she started with her father. The Palins have freezers full of wild game, her family likes moose the most. I saw a show where she shot one on film before, I doubt she is "posing". Its common for hunters to take a trophy photo. I have one with the first buck I shot on the family farm property. I can't see the manufacturer or know the caliber of her rifle, but I noticed that it looks like a bolt action and like BUG stated, the lens caps are back on the scope. With a bolt action, you have to manually pull the bolt back and shove it back into the breech to chamber a round, the rifle doesn't load another shot automatically by itself. Anybody with any knowledge of hunting or guns would know that this rifle is unloaded, its included in the photo as a reminder of which rifle was used in this particular hunt.

Palin is not running for office, she is currently having the time of her life doing what she wants and making a ton of money. It must really hurt the mental giants that certain progressives think they are, to be outdone by a woman who is much more successful than them.:wink2:
A bear is not a whit tail.

I understand a bolt action. Why would one approach a possibly wounded bear with anything less than a loaded rifle?

Palin is always running for something even if it's for her next Fox special.

Nimnim

The Nim
A bear is not a whit tail.

I understand a bolt action. Why would one approach a possibly wounded bear with anything less than a loaded rifle?

Palin is always running for something even if it's for her next Fox special.

So I was wondering, what would the chances of an experienced hunter, in this case using a bolt action rifle, shoot and presume to take down a bear, chamber a new round then approach and ensure the bear is dead, clear the chamber ensuring the rifle isn't hot, then take the photo of the kill be?

You won't get me to say this isn't for her publicity, after all there is that caption on it, but we don't know what happened before the picture was taken.

bbsam

Staff member
So I was wondering, what would the chances of an experienced hunter, in this case using a bolt action rifle, shoot and presume to take down a bear, chamber a new round then approach and ensure the bear is dead, clear the chamber ensuring the rifle isn't hot, then take the photo of the kill be?

You won't get me to say this isn't for her publicity, after all there is that caption on it, but we don't know what happened before the picture was taken.
I don't know what those chances are because if the hunter is that prolific in safety, then she would not have the rifle barrel pointed in her direction. And again, I don't know if the chamber is loaded or not. I just don't know how others are certain it isn't and I am certain that gun safety would not have the rifle so positioned.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't know what those chances are because if the hunter is that prolific in safety, then she would not have the rifle barrel pointed in her direction. And again, I don't know if the chamber is loaded or not. I just don't know how others are certain it isn't and I am certain that gun safety would not have the rifle so positioned.

I just go after my non hunter firearm experience, where if there is a round in the chamber it's never pointed towards someone, except for the hopefully never situation when I need to defend my family. I would like to think any experienced gun owner, much less a hunter, taking pictures for public exposure would take the necessary safety precautions to ensure the pictures they took would not potentially be their last.