guns

bbsam

Staff member
OK ... big guns!
My next door neighbor has a cannon and several automatic weapons.
We have little crime in our area.

PS - I have a couple of old Canons myself.
it really isn't fair though. They keep the real ordinance for themselves.

bbsam

Staff member
I might have missed it.... what is you belief on gun ownership?
Own whatever you want. Just don't buy into the crap that you're going to go all "Red Dawn" on the corrupt US government.

And own your guns responsibly. Like an infant that never grows up.

wayfair

swollen member
Own whatever you want. Just don't buy into the crap that you're going to go all "Red Dawn" on the corrupt US government.

And own your guns responsibly. Like an infant that never grows up.

that's common sense, not really taught much in schools nowadays

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Mandatory sentences are going away around the country as people realize that it just costs too damn much and doesn't actually reduce crime in anyway whatsoever.

Much like the death sentence, mandatory sentences do very little to reduce crime and are incredibly expensive for the state (meaning you and me).

Next?
For the most part I agree but I don't have a problem with mandatory minimum sentences for violent crimes where a gun was used.

soberups

You aren't the first to ask. Still waiting for answers. Sober usually has well thought out answers but usually predicated on making his conceal/carry permit nationwide.
If you want to get gun owners on board with a solution then you need to start by acknowledging the fact that self defense is a fundamental human right, gun ownership is a constitutional right, and that taking guns away from the good guys isn't going to stop the bad guys. To me that is "common sense" and a "reasonable" place to begin the discussion. If your focus is strictly limited to reducing the number of bullets that a magazine can legally hold or to banning cosmetic features on scary-looking and inaccurately labeled "assault rifles" then I'm not going to waste my time listening to anything else you might have to say.

As far as solutions go, maybe we start our search by comparing our world today to the recent past where school shootings were unheard of and asking ourselves what has changed? Why weren't kids shooting up schools in the 50's and 60's? What are the differences between then and now? I happen to think that our problems are spiritual rather than legal in nature, and there aren't any quick fixes or easy, feel-good laws that will make those problems vanish.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
As far as solutions go, maybe we start our search by comparing our world today to the recent past where school shootings were unheard of and asking ourselves what has changed?
Maybe the difference is our access to media. Maybe the "good old days" is just revisionist history. Perhaps we are now simply more aware of these problems that have always existed. Maybe that isn't a bad thing.
mass-shootings-graph1.png

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
was that mandatory sentencing?

No, the judge doesn't like thugs out on the street. We built a nice new jail a couple of years ago, there is plenty of room in it. A lot of the crimes committed in my county are from non-residents.

brett636

I'll ask again, for the gun owners...

What do you see as realistic soliutions to what I'm sure you'll all agree is a problem that we're facing as a nation?

I've asked this question several times in this thread, and the only responses I've gotten have been variations on, "we can't take away our gun rights".

OK, solid copy on that.

I'll be the first to agree that most proposed limits on guns either miss the mark completely, are irrational, or wouldn't solve the problem (eg. criminals, by definition, aren't going to obey the law, etc.).

So what then?

I would think that responsible citizen gun owners would be first in line offering constructive and plausible solutions.

Anyone?

Its difficult to argue for a solution to a declining "problem" as the statistics show, and its better to argue what can we do as a nation to reduce the already shrinking level of gun violence faster? I personally see this requiring a multifaceted approach outlined below:

1. We need to help foster a greater acceptance and understanding of personal gun ownership in this country. This starts by getting the states to more streamline their gun laws from one to another. Honestly the states with the strictest gun laws need to relax them to the level of the least restrictive, and this will allow the residents of any state to travel with their legally owned firearms without fear of callous prosecution just because they carry an inanimate object for their personal protection. We need to eliminate the idea of gun free zones like schools and colleges since this is where a lot of mass shootings are occurring simply because the people who carry out such tragedies knows they have little chance of resistance. The bottom line here is the criminal element in society needs something to fear, and that is a well armed populace where they cannot tell the difference between the wolves and the sheep. This makes the job of a criminal a much more hazardous one driving all but the most foolish into a more honest livelihood.

2. Stricter enforcement of the gun laws remaining is a must. Gun laws aren't always equally enforced, and sentences are far too light. Someone who commits a real crime with a gun(that is a crime with the intent to harm others, not simply having 8 bullets in their magazine instead of the mandatory 7) needs to understand that the chances of them living to see the light of day will be slim. This is necessary because as in point number one fewer criminals will still be practicing their trade ensuring those remaining are too hard headed or hardcore to be allowed to remain within society.

3. Better access to mental health services. This is to address the issue of mentally unstable individuals like the ones perpetrating the most heinous of the mass shootings. These individuals lack any sort criminal motivation, but are very dangerous if not treated for their mental conditions. These are the wildcards that you simply cannot predict where or how they still strike, but they are surrounded by people who know of their mental instability. If they can get help before they reach their boiling point this can prevent many needless tragedies. Its just a matter of both better access to mental health services as well as educating the populace on how to find them if they or someone they know needs it.

This is just a rough outline of what I believe will help reduce gun violence, and violence as whole, faster. As with all solutions the devil is in the details and how this gets implemented is the key to its success. You asked for one gun owners opinion so there you have it.

bbsam

Staff member
Now that was far more thoughtful than anything I've seen from pro gun folk around here. Nicely done.

I agree on some aspects but your idea that the criminal element is going to somehow fear an armed populace is just wrong. It doesn't happen in Mexico or Yemen or even the tougher neighborhoods of Chicago. Just because gun violence is rampant in Chicago doesn't mean that citizens there aren't armed. It means they don't want to get involved because defending your neighbor will get you and yours killed and n retaliation. Rural Vermont and downtown Chicago are not the same America.

soberups

Basic marksmanship and gun safety should be a standard part of high-school curriculum. A field trip to a working farm/ranch/slaughterhouse should also be a requirement of getting a diploma. Too many kids today have learned everything they "know" about guns and killing from violent movies and video games. Seeing what actually happens at a farm where animals are shot and killed for meat... in real life...as well as hands-on experience with real guns would go a long way towards taking the glamour and excitement out of guns and gun violence.

Rainman

Its all good.
Idiots with guns. They come in all sizes and shapes, but mostly white.

TOS.
Another racist comment from our resident saint. You would be screening bloody murder if the comment was made against a person of color. That's another example why your good comments don't carry the weight they should. When you say something as dumb as that it wrecks your credibility.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.