guns

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
What's the best way to remove cosmoline from a gun? that Mosin is covered in it. I went to youtube and I saw everything from simple green to EZ-OFF oven cleaner.

oldngray

nowhere special
Single action is ok for me. Does it do anything for the DA pull?

Yes it does but you need to be careful about going too light with the spring that can cause light hits on primers. I think mine has around a 3 or 3 1/2 pound single action pull. I saw a bigger difference with the Ruger single action revolvers (they are a little more difficult to replace).

wayfair

swollen member
What's the best way to remove cosmoline from a gun? that Mosin is covered in it. I went to youtube and I saw everything from simple green to EZ-OFF oven cleaner.
I gotta piece of 3 in pvc about the length of the barrel plus receiver and capped it on one end.
put the barrel and receiver in it and filled it with mineral spirits for a few hours.
the wood I just let sit in the sun and wiped it down every couple of hours

oldngray

nowhere special

I took the barrel and action off stock and dunked in a bathtub of soapy water to clean out cosmoline in guns I had. Then clean, dry, and lube afterwards of course.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The GP is unique in that way how it's built. Not like the oldschool Blackhawks and such. I will investigate this. Does it allow for adjusting?

oldngray

nowhere special
The GP is unique in that way how it's built. Not like the oldschool Blackhawks and such. I will investigate this. Does it allow for adjusting?

GP is identical to Super Redhawks. Take off grip panels, cock hammer and insert the pin inside the grip into the hole in trigger strut and pull from gun. No real adjustment since its coil springs but the springs are easily replaced.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Staunch Gun Control Advocate Brutalized and Beaten Beyond Recognition Now Owns Gun

"James Dittrich and Meredith Duffy are now the owners of a gun after a brutal assault.

New Jersey- It is always intriguing when life threatening ordeals compel individuals to reassess their principles."

I don't want to say "I told you so".... But, I told you so.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Boiling water.

I had a surplus SKS that was caked in cosmoline, I disassembled it and dropped the small parts into a pan of boiling water and poured boiling water down in and on the outside of the barrel and stock.

If you are a single guy, you can also just run the gun through your dishwasher. If you are married, probably not.

wayfair

swollen member
Boiling water.

I had a surplus SKS that was caked in cosmoline, I disassembled it and dropped the small parts into a pan of boiling water and poured boiling water down in and on the outside of the barrel and stock.

If you are a single guy, you can also just run the gun through your dishwasher. If you are married, probably not.

another method was to bake in the oven.... if you're single..haha

turpentine or paint thinner will work perfect... just don't be smoking

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Nice video. That's probably the first blued one I've seen. I have the 4" stainless with the full underlug. Nice balance.

I also have the 4" stainless with factory grips. I have replaced the grips on some of my other revolvers but the GP100 has pretty good standard grips. I did replace the front sight inserts. It is easy to pop in inserts of different colors to get one that gives you a better sight picture.

moreluck

golden ticket member
private-ownership.jpg