guns

MAKAVELI

1427648144895.jpg

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
You can ask any question you want here------but I have to warn you that you may get some strange answers.

Ha. Looking to purchase a 9mm handgun in the near future, $600 price range or less. For home defense, occasional target shooting. Any recommendations?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Try a S&W Governor or a Tauras Judge .
Both are chambered for .410 bore shot shells and .45 colt .
The S&W will also handle .45 long colts .
While the Judge handles a .45 Casull .
The Judge holds 5 while the Governor holds 6 . You can mix & match your rounds .
With the .410 loads , you have a wide choice of shot.
Many ammo brands sell a Home Defense or Personal Defense round with a multiple of options .
It will be like having a revolver & a shot gun in one .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I bought a Glock 26 Gen4 which has 3 internal safeties which allows the carrying of a chambered round in addition to magazine. It also has a trigger safety to reduce accidental firing.
Accurate and well-balanced and stays on target after shooting.
Also works well as concealed and is my primary carry.
I have put about 2000 rounds through it with a variety of makes and it has never not-chambered.
It does have strong pullback so I keep one chambered to ensure fast reaction time.

Like @rod, I use shotguns as a primary home defense weapon.
Due to my age and arthritis I have been migrating to 20 gauge with alternating sabot and 00 buckshot.
I have used 12 gauge for the last 40 years. Mossberg pistol grip 12 gauge is a good home defense but if it hurts to practice, it not doing much good.
A person using a shotgun as a self-defense home weapon needs to be able to hit a 1 gallon jug from 15 feet (I practice at 20 feet) shooting from the hip. Home defence does not allow time to shoulder and sight before firing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Try a S&W Governor or a Tauras Judge .
Both are chambered for .410 bore shot shells and .45 colt .
The S&W will also handle .45 long colts .
While the Judge handles a .45 Casull .
The Judge holds 5 while the Governor holds 6 . You can mix & match your rounds .
With the .410 loads , you have a wide choice of shot.
Many ammo brands sell a Home Defense or Personal Defense round with a multiple of options .
It will be like having a revolver & a shot gun in one .
Sorry, but the .410 is barely adequate for defense when fired from a shotgun. Coming out of a Judge it is practically worthless. The rifled barrel causes too much pattern dispersal at close range and the ballistics are pathetic. The Judge, and its S&W copy the Governor, are gimmicks. A good .357 or +P 38 Special revolver is a far better choice for personal or home defense.

soberups

I bought a Glock 26 Gen4 which has 3 internal safeties which allows the carrying of a chambered round in addition to magazine. It also has a trigger safety to reduce accidental firing.
Accurate and well-balanced and stays on target after shooting.
Also works well as concealed and is my primary carry.
I have put about 2000 rounds through it with a variety of makes and it has never not-chambered.
It does have strong pullback so I keep one chambered to ensure fast reaction time.

Like @rod
Due to my age and arthritis I have been migrating to 20 gauge with alternating sabot and 00 buckshot.

In a home defense scenario, the only person who will be able to tell the difference between a hit with 20 gauge buckshot and a hit with 12 gauge buckshot is the medical examiner who does an autopsy on what is left of the bad guy. The 20 is an excellent choice for home defense.

soberups

Cool, I'm leaning towards Glock, my brother really likes his.
I own a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Both are 9mm's, with the 26 being a compact version for concealed carry. The 26 can use the 19's magazines, giving it a 15+1 capacity (although the bottom of the mag will stick out below the grip) for home defense. The grip on the 26 is too small for my hands, so I use one of the factory 12 round mags that has a grip extension. That makes it fit my hand like a glove, while still concealing well in an IWB holster.

wayfair

swollen member
I own a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Both are 9mm's, with the 26 being a compact version for concealed carry. The 26 can use the 19's magazines, giving it a 15+1 capacity (although the bottom of the mag will stick out below the grip) for home defense. The grip on the 26 is too small for my hands, so I use one of the factory 12 round mags that has a grip extension. That makes it fit my hand like a glove, while still concealing well in an IWB holster.

Get a couple xgrip sleeves sober.
G2619_zps1aec6a83.jpg