guns

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Para Ordnance is the manufacturer. Double stack is the type.
Sorry, it took a bit to find what I was looking for.
difference_between_double_stack_and_single_stack.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
A novelty weapon I can understand, but would practicality be overly hindered by problems a single chambered weapon would have? Jamming, misfiring etc.?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can almost gurantee that you wouldnt be able to get your hand around the grip. I tried shooting a Para-Ordinance double-stack .45 one time and the grip was too fat for me to hold properly even though I have pretty big hands. It does look like a fun novelty gun, though!

Not to sound like a maroon but WTH is a Para-Ordinance double-stack .45?
A Para Ordinance .45 is a copy of the .45 caliber military pistol of 1911. These are generically referred to as "colt 45's" or "1911's". They have a magazine that holds 7 rounds stacked one above the other. A "double stack" magazine is wider and the rounds are staggered above each other which increases the capacity and therefore the width of the grip. This is not an issue with smaller rounds like the 9 mm but in .45 the grip winds up being too wide fir most folks.

soberups

A novelty weapon I can understand, but would practicality be overly hindered by problems a single chambered weapon would have? Jamming, misfiring etc.?

Yes. As a reliable weapon, it would be functionally useless. Too big, too wide, too heavy, too hard to manually chamber rounds against the tension of not one but two slide springs, too many issues with extraction and reliable feeding.

This is the product of a bored gunsmith who had a bunch of spare parts lying around and decided to have fun with them.

soberups

I am not a fan of 1911's for concealed carry or personal defense. Under the stress of a life or death encounter, its too easy to forget to release the safety (or to put it back on after you fire). And the compact 1911's are known to have reliability issues. The gun was designed in the year 1911 as a battlefield weapon and it was never meant to be carried concealed. And even though I know its safe to do so in a proper holster, I cannot abide carrying a "cocked and locked" gun. I prefer revolvers or DAO guns like Glocks instead.

texan

I am not a fan of 1911's for concealed carry or personal defense. Under the stress of a life or death encounter, its too easy to forget to release the safety (or to put it back on after you fire). And the compact 1911's are known to have reliability issues. The gun was designed in the year 1911 as a battlefield weapon and it was never meant to be carried concealed. And even though I know its safe to do so in a proper holster, I cannot abide carrying a "cocked and locked" gun. I prefer revolvers or DAO guns like Glocks instead.

You are right. But I was Range NCOIC (Non Commisioned Officer In Charge) for over three years on the .45 range.

I still like the weapon. I guess it is like a new 2012 Camaro, and a 1967 Camaro.

Us older fuddy duds like the 67, even though the 2012 is superior.

I honesly must have fired over 75,000 rounds down range with the M1911.

They would bring me boxes and boxes of ammo. Not all the Officers would show up, and we had to get rid of the open
unused ammo.

Usually Officers and very senior NCO's had .45s or M1911A1's as their weapon. All of us had M61A1's.
By the way, I love the M16A1. Great rifle / weapon.

Orders from above. Fire it all up (the unused .45 rounds), and police up all the brass or casings.

Government waste I know. Still a mystery why the Post Office is in such trouble.

bbsam

Staff member
So there was Mr. Zimmerman Florida's neighborhood watch ace. And opposite a black teen in a gated community. Teen dead, Zimmerman walks away. He felt threatened after all. How is this right?

wkmac

So there was Mr. Zimmerman Florida's neighborhood watch ace. And opposite a black teen in a gated community. Teen dead, Zimmerman walks away. He felt threatened after all. How is this right?

So far it doesn't sound right from what I've read and heard but I'm not there so I'll let the evidence play out. My gut tells me this kid was innocent and Zimmerman was acting way over the top. If this turns out that Zimmerman shot an innocent kid, then Zimmerman should pay a heavy price for it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sounds to me like a power trip he'll pay for. We'll see what happens.

bbsam

Staff member
I think it burns me up that this permissive gun law allows him to walk free while the investigation continues. Something too lenient with that.

over9five

Staff member
Jeez, the guy (Zimmerman) was in a car, but decided to get out after he called 911 and they told him to stay in the car. It doesn't sound like he could be threatened at all by an unarmed kid on foot while in his car.
Sounds to me like he is a cop wannabe. Hopefully, this investigation will be quick and he'll see some jail time.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm sure he took his 3 hr course like soberups did, and has the right to carry. So, that alone makes him a responsible gun owner or doesn't it ?

Jeez, the guy (Zimmerman) was in a car, but decided to get out after he called 911 and they told him to stay in the car. It doesn't sound like he could be threatened at all by an unarmed kid on foot while in his car.
Sounds to me like he is a cop wannabe. Hopefully, this investigation will be quick and he'll see some jail time.

The FBI is investigating, with any luck they will find out the truth. Zimmerman was told to NOT follow the kid, much less encounter him. Just from what little I have heard or read about this Zimmerman was wrong and guilty of wrongful death at best case scenario and down right murder at worse.
I can see how neighborhood watches can be helpful in keeping areas safer, but can also see how things can, and do, get out of control.

I'm sure he took his 3 hr course like soberups did, and has the right to carry. So, that alone makes him a responsible gun owner or doesn't it ?
Nice bait, but a fail. What makes someone a responsible gun owner or irresponsible gun owner is their actions, not their license.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As many as 450 million rounds of .40-caliber ammunition are being produced for U.S. government agencies by ATK of Minnesota.
The order comes under an indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for HST bullets.
“We are proud to extend our track record as the prime supplier of .40-caliber duty ammunition for (Homeland Security), ICE,” said Ron Johnson, president of ATK’s Security and Sporting group. “The HST is a proven design that will continue to serve those who keep our borders safe.”
That gives Homeland Security 18 rounds for each of us.

Moonbattery

bbsam

Staff member
I think the NRA could have done some major PR on this and gotten out in front insisting that this is not the intent of their backing of such laws. Their silence is troubling.

17 M'friend'n years old! That's messed up.

Also, I think Zimmerman made some comment on the 911 call, "They always get away."

Still not arrested?

I think the NRA could have done some major PR on this and gotten out in front insisting that this is not the intent of their backing of such laws. Their silence is troubling.

17 M'friend'n years old! That's messed up.

Also, I think Zimmerman made some comment on the 911 call, "They always get away."

Still not arrested?

I think this is still under investigation.

The age of this young man is really irrelevant to the situation. There has been plenty of innocent people killed by 17 year old murderers. Hwat is important is the facts seem to be that the young man was unarmed and innocent of any wrong doing. If this bears out to be true and Zimmerman is a murderer, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, just like any other criminal.
If I were to speculate on the NRA's lack of a statement there could be several reasons. One could be that they are waiting for the facts to come out before commenting or this does nothing to support their stance. If this was to play out that the young man had a gun and was threatening Zimmerman, do you think for a second that the gun control advocates would be making any comments? I don't think they would.