guns

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
What do you find so objectionable? You haven't presented any real counter. I think my argument just makes people uncomfortable. People don't like to recognize the suffering they inflict on animals for their own pleasure. Just another reason to choose not to.
So a hunter is your problem not the oodles of slaughter houses and their practices? I've got a big family, we need the meat. Hunting absolutely is a pleasurable past time. Sitting in the woods taking in nature, the challenge of getting close to a big game animal, and so many other things. I don't know a single hunter who gets off on the actual kill, quite the opposite actually. I completely agree with @soberups. Many of the best hunting trips don't involve a single shot being fired. But damn right if my family is hungry, venison or some other meat that we've processed is likely on the menu. I love knowing that my meat isn't full of hormones and God knows what else.

It will be fine

So a hunter is your problem not the oodles of slaughter houses and their practices? I've got a big family, we need the meat. Hunting absolutely is a pleasurable past time. Sitting in the woods taking in nature, the challenge of getting close to a big game animal, and so many other things. I don't know a single hunter who gets off on the actual kill, quite the opposite actually. I completely agree with @soberups. Many of the best hunting trips don't involve a single shot being fired. But damn right if my family is hungry, venison or some other meat that we've processed is likely on the menu. I love knowing that my meat isn't full of hormones and God knows what else.
I absolutely have a problem with industrialized meat production, it's unnecessary and wasteful. My point about hunters is that it adds to our violent culture. It desensitizes people to killing. It's a smaller leap to killing people if you already causally kill animals.

Even with a large family it is cheaper to feed them a plant based diet than meat. People eat meat for enjoyment, it's not a necessity. I can respect you killing a deer for food and eating it even if I disagree with it. I respect that much more than people that buy meat without any consideration to where it comes from. My point is that eating meat isn't needed and since it isn't needed it is a choice. The choice is does the enjoyment of meat consumption outweigh the cost of taking a life. For me it doesn't, if everyone had to take the shot themself I think we'd have more vegetarians.

People ask me all the time why I'm a vegetarian. When I flip the question and ask why they eat meat I usually get a blank stare, it's just what our culture does, people don't think about the cost.

Bonbon

I absolutely have a problem with industrialized meat production, it's unnecessary and wasteful. My point about hunters is that it adds to our violent culture. It desensitizes people to killing. It's a smaller leap to killing people if you already causally kill animals.

Even with a large family it is cheaper to feed them a plant based diet than meat. People eat meat for enjoyment, it's not a necessity. I can respect you killing a deer for food and eating it even if I disagree with it. I respect that much more than people that buy meat without any consideration to where it comes from. My point is that eating meat isn't needed and since it isn't needed it is a choice. The choice is does the enjoyment of meat consumption outweigh the cost of taking a life. For me it doesn't, if everyone had to take the shot themself I think we'd have more vegetarians.

People ask me all the time why I'm a vegetarian. When I flip the question and ask why they eat meat I usually get a blank stare, it's just what our culture does, people don't think about the cost.
So you're classifying hunters with sickos that like to torture and kill pets and turn into murders? Not one single hunter I've ever meet got off on taking a life and they do all that they can for a fast clean kill. But you're right, if you don't like the idea of an animal being killed to feed you by all means eat plants, I however enjoy being at the top of the food chain and love some fresh backstraps wrapped in fresh bacon. You do realize many of the farmers that grow your food consider deer and other animals nuisance pests and welcome hunters into their properties to control their populations.

It will be fine

So you're classifying hunters with sickos that like to torture and kill pets and turn into murders? Not one single hunter I've ever meet got off on taking a life and they do all that they can for a fast clean kill. But you're right, if you don't like the idea of an animal being killed to feed you by all means eat plants, I however enjoy being at the top of the food chain and love some fresh backstraps wrapped in fresh bacon. You do realize many of the farmers that grow your food consider deer and other animals nuisance pests and welcome hunters into their properties to control their populations.
I'm saying it's a part of our violent culture that leads to mass shootings. Glorification of violence is prevalent, there is a pervasive machismo attitude that goes hand in hand with hunters. Look at this thread for the insults lobbed at me and you can see it. Killing is "manly." I believe as a society and a species we can rise above that primitive thinking.

Bonbon

I'm saying it's a part of our violent culture that leads to mass shootings. Glorification of violence is prevalent, there is a pervasive machismo attitude that goes hand in hand with hunters. Look at this thread for the insults lobbed at me and you can see it. Killing is "manly." I believe as a society and a species we can rise above that primitive thinking.
Well I respectfully disagree and won't name call or insult you. As long as you don't call me manly again, lol. To each their own... But if you wanna tackle violence in society I can think of way bigger contributions than hunting. But sadly it's all a societal norm. But kudos to you for being passionate about it. I'll however be in a tree stand tomorrow looking for dinner.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well I respectfully disagree and won't name call or insult you. As long as you don't call me manly again, lol. To each their own... But if you wanna tackle violence in society I can think of way bigger contributions than hunting. But sadly it's all a societal norm. But kudos to you for being passionate about it. I'll however be in a tree stand tomorrow looking for dinner.
Have fun.

It will be fine

Well I respectfully disagree and won't name call you or insult you. As long as you don't call me manly again, lol. To each their own... But if you wanna tackle violence in society I can think of way bigger contributions than hunting. But sadly it's all a societal norm. But kudos to you for being passionate about it. I'll however be in a tree stand tomorrow looking for dinner.
Fair enough, hope you have a clean shot and minimize any potential suffering. And try out a meatless Monday for a while, every bit helps.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So you don't understand why people hunt which means you are 'ignorant'.
Ignorant bigot.
Since certain members don't understand the meaning of 'ignorant'.

Ignorant
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact

3. uninformed; unaware

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training

It will be fine

It seems certain mods don't understand the terms of this website.

"It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals or their choices or circumstances, which disparage their ideas, opinions, their occupation or their personal situation. These examples are not exhaustive. Insulting or disparaging another member is a personal attack regardless of the manner in which it is done. These offensive comments are contrary to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community."

wayfair

swollen member

"It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals or their choices or circumstances, which disparage their ideas, opinions, their occupation or their personal situation. These examples are not exhaustive. Insulting or disparaging another member is a personal attack regardless of the manner in which it is done. These offensive comments are contrary to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community."

but.... since you don't hunt or have never done it... how can you challenge ANYONE???

BrownArmy

OMGawd!

Let’s just agree to disagree.

You like guns? Buy them and shoot them.

Don’t like guns? Don’t buy one.

Eat meat? Don’t eat meat?

FFS.

I knew Current Events was testy, but y’all are having a bitch-fight in the sixth-grade girls’ bathroom.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

My original post got your panties in a wad although it was an attempted joke ... a double pun (or something like that).
I said your "dismissal of hunters" indicated you were a bigot.
You replied:
You're the one calling me a bigot for not understanding and you refuse to offer an explanation.
Get the joke now?

It will be fine

My original post got your panties in a wad although it was an attempted joke ... a double pun (or something like that).
I said your "dismissal of hunters" indicated you were a bigot.
You replied:

Get the joke now?
Sounds like you are trying to walk back your trolling and personal attacks and claim it was all a joke. I don't buy it, you don't have that credibility with me.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
442e6b03d6e44bdfb3dc4ace6714c61e--hunting-jokes-deer-hunting-humor.jpg