guns

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
M-16 is NOT just an AR-15 with an auto sear. There were other modifications to enable it to reliably fire fully automatic. A civilian AR-15 can be (illegally) converted to full auto but has problems (such as excess heat) because it was designed to fire semi auto only.
many civilian AR's have higher quality barrels, better BCG's, real handguards, etc to make them superior to milspec

the difference between an M16A4 which is fired in semi auto 99.9% of the time, and an AR-15 bought from a quality manufacturer is basically 0

oldngray

nowhere special
many civilian AR's have higher quality barrels, better BCG's, real handguards, etc to make them superior to milspec

the difference between an M16A4 which is fired in semi auto 99.9% of the time, and an AR-15 bought from a quality manufacturer is basically 0

When both are fired semi auto? Agreed there is virtually no difference. The difference is with full auto fire.

El Correcto

god is dead

The difference of legality is the full auto. You can’t have fully automatic fire.

El Correcto

god is dead

f74.gif

newfie

okay dude, when one is made to milspec and has selective fire, but otherwise has 99% parts and function commonality, you just look dumb trying to insist they're TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUISE HURRRRR

AK's are not superior anyways, that's a ridiculous assertion and shows what you truly know about both platforms..

the accuracy, function, feel, and use of an AR, M16, M4, whatever variation you want to pick is ridiculously superior to the Mini 14, a :censored2:ty weapon made by a :censored2:ty gun company that only stays in business due to the 10/22
You are clueless. Continue on with your fear of guns that look military.

rod

Retired 23 years
you're wrong, sorry

The United States Army disagrees with you and your 2 guys who don't have a clue what they are talking about. When I was drafted in 1968 it was literally pounded into your head that you MUST keep your M-16 clean or it would likely malfunction. The first M-16 I was issued in Vietnam failed the first time I used it. Thank God it was just a test and not the real thing. Believe me that isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling having a non-functioning weapon. I hated those early M-16's so much I switched to an M-79 grenade launcher.

oldngray

nowhere special
The United States Army disagrees with you and your 2 guys who don't have a clue what they are talking about. When I was drafted in 1968 it was literally pounded into your head that you MUST keep your M-16 clean or it would likely malfunction. The first M-16 I was issued in Vietnam failed the first time I used it. Thank God it was just a test and not the real thing. Believe me that isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling having a non-functioning weapon. I hated those early M-16's so much I switched to an M-79 grenade launcher.

The early M16's definitely had teething problems. A lot of it was them changing the powder in the ammo (to save money). Plus they didn't stress how much difference dirt makes. They later added the forward assist for a reason. I never used the first generation of M16's but did use M16A1 and the forward assist made a difference.

wayfair

swollen member

those 2 guys are shooting a rifle from a parts kit, semi...

this is fun to watch

It will be fine

M-16 is NOT just an AR-15 with an auto sear. There were other modifications to enable it to reliably fire fully automatic. A civilian AR-15 can be (illegally) converted to full auto but has problems (such as excess heat) because it was designed to fire semi auto only.
How fast will a civilian model overheat on full auto? Assuming an active shooter knows enough to convert it to full auto fire and gets the better parts commercially available. In a typical 3-5 minutes of a shooting rampage is there a real difference?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
AK was a far superior weapon to the M-16 when the M-16 was first used in Vietnam. The AK is still superior when being used under dirty conditions. The M-16 has always been prone to jamming if it isn't kept super clean.
Therefore the M4 has replaced the M16.
The M4 setup is better suited for close quarter fighting and is not as prone to jam.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
You are clueless. Continue on with your fear of guns that look military.
what fear of guns are you talking about? i've shot all my life, including 3-gun; i love my AR and would oppose any attempt to ban it, but the fact is when you make the argument the AR and M16 are totally different, you're being disingenuous, overly semantic, and willfully ignoring the real discussion at hand

yeah i mean considering the US army has a long history of being pants-on-head retarded, especially regarding small arms, i'm not too concerned with what they thought of their colossal :censored2:up regarding the introduction of the M16

Therefore the M4 has replaced the M16.
The M4 setup is better suited for close quarter fighting and is not as prone to jam.
you have that backwards actually