guns

rod

Retired 23 years
The early M16's definitely had teething problems. A lot of it was them changing the powder in the ammo (to save money). Plus they didn't stress how much difference dirt makes. They later added the forward assist for a reason. I never used the first generation of M16's but did use M16A1 and the forward assist made a difference.

In Basic Training we used M-14's because all the M-16's made were being sent directly to Vietnam (at least that's what we were told). I was totally amazed when I picked up my first M-16 in Vietnam and felt the weight difference. I thought it was a great weapon----until I tried to fire it.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I assume you are talking about the reliability's aspect.
Neither are good but US soldiers report the M4 is easier for grunts to maintain.
they both have the same internals, though the M4's shorter gas system actually puts more stress on the BCG

grunts are stupid, they just like lighter weight weapons

it's kinda like i tell other IE about the ops; don't listen to their specific complaints, the average operator doesn't know the root cause of a problem, just recognize that they're angry about something, they're right to be angry and dig into it yourself to find out what the real reason is

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You guys are funny, getting all specific and crazy about guns.

WTF cares.
I am not even a gun enthusiast.
What little I know is from investigating the similarities between the civilian version of the AR and the military's version of the AR, the M16 and the M4.
There are many more similarities than differences.
In some cases, modified AR15's can outperform the military standard issued M16 and M4.
Obviously the military version is a true automatic with some internal parts and barrel are 'hardened' to handle the heat and stress of automatic firing.

Most of the libs put themselves in a pickle by calling the AR 15 an Assault Rifle.

BrownArmy

You don't have a hobby where you dig deeper to understand more about the equipment?

I could bore you to death talking about different camera types and differences in offerings by different manufacturers.

I could bore you to death about differing manufacturers of 18th/19th century hand-planes.

Oh yes, I have hobbies, one of which is woodworking.

Chisels, hand-planes, dovetail saws, Henry Disston, etc.

I get the hobby aspect, but I just don't care about guns, just like Newfie doesn't care about cameras, like you don't care about the tensile strength of different steels used in the makeup of chisels.

Guns bore me.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I could bore you to death about differing manufacturers of 18th/19th century hand-planes.

Oh yes, I have hobbies, one of which is woodworking.

Chisels, hand-planes, dovetail saws, Henry Disston, etc.

I get the hobby aspect, but I just don't care about guns, just like Newfie doesn't care about cameras, like you don't care about the tensile strength of different steels used in the makeup of chisels.

Guns bore me.
I think you answered your own question and very thoroughly.

BrownArmy

Yeah let’s not go into details or get more information who cares! Let’s ban them!

You should probably relax.

Honestly, no one really cares about your guns.

Get over yourself.

I'm hard-pressed to envision a scenario where 'banning' guns even makes any sense.

So, you cry and cry and cry about your 'Freedom' and the 'Second Amendment', but the rest of us just want the madness to stop.

Honestly, don't even worry your little head about it, cooler heads will eventually prevail, you'll get to keep your guns, but the nut-jobs won't have access to said guns, which is how it should be.

Sportello

Get over yourself.

I'm hard-pressed to envision a scenario where 'banning' guns even makes any sense.

So, you cry and cry and cry about your 'Freedom' and the 'Second Amendment', but the rest of us just want the madness to stop.

Honestly, don't even worry your little head about it, cooler heads will eventually prevail, you'll get to keep your guns, but the nut-jobs won't have access to said guns, which is how it should be.
How will he keep his guns if nut jobs won’t be able to?

El Correcto

god is dead

Get over yourself.

Oh yeah nutjobs won’t end up with guns. Just like all the other gun laws have prevented it from happening. Thank god you cleared that up.

BrownArmy

How will he keep his guns if nut jobs won’t be able to?

Well, if he's a citizen in good standing, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to have his guns.

I just think it's whack that in Florida, you need forty hours of drivers ed to get your license, but you can buy an AR-15 immediately.

Can any gun-positive poster explain that to me?

El Correcto

god is dead
Well, if he's a citizen in good standing, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to have his guns.

I just think it's whack that in Florida, you need forty hours of drivers ed to get your license, but you can buy an AR-15 immediately.

Yeah, the democrats must of passed legislation making it harder to drive.

Sportello

He seems like a nut job to me.