Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have had my morning trace split up with 30 res stops. Then have to finish the rest of business b4 i finish the rest of res. unfortunately, if i did the res in orion, it forces me to make business deliveries between 12-1 and we all know where that will lead. You have to work with orion team constantly. to change the plans "all the plans" otherwise every time they use a different plan it will revert to however it was originally setup.

Considering how motivated my dispatch supe has been to fix the plans up to now, I guess I'll just turn ORION off and go about my merry way.

didyousheetit

Considering how motivated my dispatch supe has been to fix the plans up to now, I guess I'll just turn ORION off and go about my merry way.

that works for awhile then they send someone from atlanta to beat up the center team. Then everyone starts feeling the heat

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
that works for awhile then they send someone from atlanta to beat up the center team. Then everyone starts feeling the heat

GOD FORBID every employee follows ed.trace.orion..I would love to have a set day , that everyone follows every ie and corporate instruction, follow ed and this orion waste of money 100 percent, then post the difference to the bosses,, the share owners, show them the reality of this ie self perpetuating loss of money

wayfair

swollen member
I normally have 35-50 stops in section 7, usually 40+ in section 8... after reading these pages, looks like I'll be in a higher tax bracket next year..

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
GOD FORBID every employee follows ed.trace.orion..I would love to have a set day , that everyone follows every ie and corporate instruction, follow ed and this orion waste of money 100 percent, then post the difference to the bosses,, the share owners, show them the reality of this ie self perpetuating loss of money

Quite a few drivers9including myself) in my center have done just this. I strive to be 85-90% in trace,working safely,100% pickup compliance,and boy howdy does this add great deal of time and miles to the day. Who am I to question the Engineers who developed these systems? The on Cars are either furious and or near tears every morning over 'The Numbers' . It's a great joy to show I am perfect on the Telematics Reports,That I am on Trace and that I am giving the Company EXACTLY what they are asking for.

QKRSTKR

Are they traced in the AM? If so, they will remain in the AM
This is correct. It will pretty much have you run the route close to the same way, with the exception of residentials. Those seem to go any old way. It will pick out some ground stops while your running air if you have time. Then after your last air stop it will give you some more delivery stops, usually residentials, on your way back to your a.m. work. I was told the system has you back into your a.m. Trace roughly 20 minutes or less after your last air stop.

Orion will not change it drastically day to day. Its not gonna have you deliver the whole 6000 section or 8000 section one day in the a.m. then your business stops on the 1000 and 2000 shelf later in the day. That's not how it is designed.

didyousheetit

This is correct. It will pretty much have you run the route close to the same way, with the exception of residentials. Those seem to go any old way. It will pick out some ground stops while your running air if you have time. Then after your last air stop it will give you some more delivery stops, usually residentials, on your way back to your a.m. work. I was told the system has you back into your a.m. Trace roughly 20 minutes or less after your last air stop.

Orion will not change it drastically day to day. Its not gonna have you deliver the whole 6000 section or 8000 section one day in the a.m. then your business stops on the 1000 and 2000 shelf later in the day. That's not how it is designed.
this is not correct, you will have to work with the orion team to get it as close as possible to your edd. if edd isn't right then your screwed. there is a sliding scale from 1 to 10, that the orion team can go in and change at will, with the scale closer to 1 your odo (orion) will be closer to rdo (edd). It does change drastically depending on plan used for day. stay involvled squeaky wheel gets grease.

QKRSTKR

this is not correct, you will have to work with the orion team to get it as close as possible to your edd. if edd isn't right then your screwed. there is a sliding scale from 1 to 10, that the orion team can go in and change at will, with the scale closer to 1 your odo (orion) will be closer to rdo (edd). It does change drastically depending on plan used for day. stay involvled squeaky wheel gets grease.
I disagree. I've used it. The plans in your center must suck super bad. Wasn't like that in the center I was in. My old route goes out basically the same everyday. You may have a little this and a little that everyday, but the bulk of the route stays the same. It's also ran close to the same, meaning the route runs south to north, then back south. It never is different from that. It never has you start north, then go south. If your plans are that different then you are screwed.

If your using rdo, then your not using Orion (odo), your not gonna get away with that. I think the only time rdo will be allowed without management caring is during peak, when the cars are bricked out.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

That would fall under the category of "not my problem". I have a job to do, a route to run and customers to service. Generating arbitrary compliance metrics in order to placate some idiot cubicle dweller is not in my job description. As far as the center team getting beat up... well, that's why they are making the big bucks.

soberups

Sober,

Assuming they do NOT fix the thiings you mentioned, they a agree wtih you. Don't build the racetrack if you are not going to maintain the race car.

On the other hand, there are other owners who have tuned race cars. Let them have their race track.

ORION will definitely expose the deficiencies.

If the deployment coordinator says they won't fix the problems, then they are wasting everyone's time.

At $45 an hour + benefits on OT, they can waste as much of my time as they want.

Its kinda frustrating, because I have experienced firsthand every major technological improvement that this company has implemented for the last 26 years. Most of these have been very beneficial, and have made the job easier and more efficient. It is a shame to see that they are intentionally setting this one up to fail.

The reality is that we could see a huge decrease in our miles as a center simply by refining and improving what we already have. If the resources were ever made available to properly loop the center, if the willingess existed to seriously address our chronic misload problem, if the courage existed to rid our center of the wasteful and unneeded satellite centers that IE rammed down our throats...we could easily achieve results far in excess of what is being promised by expensive gimmicks like ORION.

Im going to continue being open minded, and I will give ORION a fair chance, even though the program has already been set up for failure due to the short-sightedness of those from Corporate and IE who lack the wisdom to set it up to succeed.

didyousheetit

I disagree. I've used it. The plans in your center must suck super bad. Wasn't like that in the center I was in. My old route goes out basically the same everyday. You may have a little this and a little that everyday, but the bulk of the route stays the same. It's also ran close to the same, meaning the route runs south to north, then back south. It never is different from that. It never has you start north, then go south. If your plans are that different then you are screwed.

If your using rdo, then your not using Orion (odo), your not gonna get away with that. I think the only time rdo will be allowed without management caring is during peak, when the cars are bricked out.
you say my old route goes out basically the same,and wasn't like that in your center you were in. So how do you know for sure it wasn't changed? Do you run these routes now? My route was changed to get me to go through town rather than the interstate. Yes it does save 4 miles but takes extra 20 min. and starts me opposite end of where my ssi account is at.

didyousheetit

If your using rdo, then your not using Orion (odo), your not gonna get away with that. I think the only time rdo will be allowed without management caring is during peak, when the cars are bricked out.[/QUOTE]

What i'm refering to is the "matter of importance in trace" only the management team can change it but they can show you where it is at there is a sliding scale from 1 to 10 the closer to 1 it will resemble closer to edd

didyousheetit

That would fall under the category of "not my problem". I have a job to do, a route to run and customers to service. Generating arbitrary compliance metrics in order to placate some idiot cubicle dweller is not in my job description. As far as the center team getting beat up... well, that's why they are making the big bucks.

I agree completely it just gets so frustrating when you know how to run it. Then they tell you run it 85% then you run extra 10 miles. Then they say ok don"t run it by odo reduce the miles .So then you reduce the miles hit 69% trace then someone in atlanta says he has to hit 85% after you just proved it doesn't work. Then they'll tell you ok then just use your common sense.

soberups

you say my old route goes out basically the same,and wasn't like that in your center you were in. So how do you know for sure it wasn't changed? Do you run these routes now? My route was changed to get me to go through town rather than the interstate. Yes it does save 4 miles but takes extra 20 min. and starts me opposite end of where my ssi account is at.

So what happens if you just ignore the damn thing and do what you need to do to get the job done right?

I remember when PAS/EDD went in and they were bitching at us to run 85%, all I had to do was threaten to go into robot mode and run 100% and they shut up and let me do it the right way. Thats how its going to be for me with ORION too.

QKRSTKR

I'm technically in feeders now, but do have the option to bump back into packages since my senority doesn't dovetail in till annual bid in May. So yes I have ran the route as little as two weeks ago. It's not my route any longer since I'm classified as a feeder driver.

Every plan they run on that route may not be the same, but it's close enough. I still run the same stuff in the morning I always have. My last air stop is usually up on a busy road with all business. At the north end of the route. It still brings me back down south after my last air stop. Not like it keeps me on the busy road where a majority of my business are. They are usually seq. 3000-4000 some on 5000. Orion doesn't have me run those shelves before the 1000-2000 sections.

Ill put it this way so maybe you can understand. By 2pm most of my 1000 - 5000 sections are done. I'm left with 6000 - 8000. I never have all my 1000-5000 shelf left late in the day. Orion still runs the bulk of the route 1000-8000.

When you talk about a sliding scale, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. What the hell does it mean?