Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not really. You could spend a lot more for fancier equipment but there are cheaper options. Mostly slower is the drawback. Not a problem unless you are reloading a boatload of ammo.

Lee Turret Press is slower than a progressive press but still good and a lot cheaper for example.

And you can add extra equipment gradually. Not absolutely required but can make reloading quicker, easier, or for more accurate ammo.
I have the RCBS Rock Chucker master set with a tumbler.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ever trim down split 357 brass to 38 Spl length?
I never tried it but doesn't .357 brass have thicker walls? I see no reason why it wouldn't work though. I almost never trim pistol brass. Mostly just bottleneck rifle cartridges.

If you want to shoot lighter loads in a .357 there's really no point to doing it. Just be careful about double charging the lighter loads.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I never tried it but doesn't .357 brass have thicker walls? I see no reason why it wouldn't work though. I almost never trim pistol brass. Mostly just bottleneck rifle cartridges.
Usually only have to trim well used cases when they begin to stretch a bit. I always check them for length if I don't recall where they came from. Last time around after that if they show much excess length.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

If you want to shoot lighter loads in a .357 there's really no point to doing it. Just be careful about double charging the lighter loads.
I just do standard to hot loading for 357, depending on the bullet. I just do the 38 Spl fairly light especially for indoor practice.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have the RCBS Rock Chucker master set with a tumbler.
I use a Lee press but have added stuff from about every manufacturer over time. I have some RCBS like a primer pocket swagger (to take the crimp out of military brass). My trimmer is a Lyman. So is my powder scale. I would have to look to see what I have in the equipment I seldom use.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The only problem I've really had with the setup is with the priming part allowing them to go sideways on occasion. Gotta take your time on that stage.

oldngray

nowhere special
Usually only have to trim well used cases when they begin to stretch a bit. I always check them for length if I don't recall where they came from. Last time around after that if they show much excess length.
Rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim so overall length isn't that critical. As long as its still short enough to chamber you're good to go.

oldngray

nowhere special
The only problem I've really had with the setup is with the priming part allowing them to go sideways on occasion. Gotta take your time on that stage.
I use a hand primer. Its slower but you can feel what you're doing a lot better than with the press. Adds an extra step but worth it to me.