Peak 2017

instiches

I can see the pain coming. Labor market has been extremely tough.

Terminal staffing is also low and they're incompetent, so that will only compound the problems.

bacha29

Agreed. Things are going to get ugly very quickly around here.
A couple of the contractors at the station I was at finally started looking for peak grunts but failed to realize they they would never get them approved in time. As a result the terminal is going to send out 2 of the 3 original Day 1 contractors. One is 69 and has had a heart attack and melanoma The other is 64 and has enough titanium in him to make yourself a set of golf clubs. A lot of good we can do but again this is the growing problem. People are no longer willing to be subjected to the humiliation of coming in and working like slaves for 3-4 weeks then simply be disposed of like holiday gift wrap..They're just no longer willing to be treated in that fashion.

The Youngin' Of It All

Bad. This week I'm about 10-15% heavier than last year with fewer resources. Things don't look so good. I have a feeling Amazon is sucking up all the potential seasonal hires in the area.
We had a contractor in our building try getting about 10 or 15 through the system and not one of them passed. Mostly MVR's, but the problem has already been mentioned. People don't want to do it for minimum wage and it's hard for you as the contractor to make money in this day and age when you have a multi billion dollar company like FedEx changing the game unexpectedly to the point where it's impossible to keep up with them. We live in a different world now unfortunately where there's a lot of people who either are too smart for the job, too stupid for the job, but never in between. Especially when it comes to X's standards of perfection. Either raise the value so we can offer more or give nothing and expect less...

The Youngin' Of It All

I can see the pain coming. Labor market has been extremely tough.

Terminal staffing is also low and they're incompetent, so that will only compound the problems.
Our hub is currently going through this too. You have 3 people on the Ground side loading 3 to 4 vans, plus splitting. My drivers are having problems with multiple misloads between HD packages that aren't mine (not overlapped in some areas) and envelopes being thrown behind bulk stops so the driver has to scramble around to deliver it so it doesn't affect service. I had someone from the office scan 5 27's for outbound packages and then I get called in the office for service over something that was improperly trained on their end with their people. What a joke. How is this efficient management? These people have no idea how hard they're about to be hit next week with Cyber Monday. I am just folding my arms and saying I told you so to them.

Purplepackage

At least all of you could actively hire people if you wanted too.

With the change to workday at express they had a hiring freeze until they thought the system was working properly. Now that managers can hire again there isn't enough time to actually get anyone working before peak

bacha29

At least all of you could actively hire people if you wanted too.

With the change to workday at express they had a hiring freeze until they thought the system was working properly. Now that managers can hire again there isn't enough time to actually get anyone working before peak
Take a look at the job boards and you will see hundreds of Ground and Amazon contractors begging for people. The problem is they don't pay enough and that's only for a few weeks at that. It would appear that some of the "investor class" contractors who have bought in recently are in for the shock of their lives. I think what may be happening is that Ground as a company began to suspect that the extra money they were giving contractors that was intended to enable them to compete successfully for seasonal help was instead going down contractors pockets. That may be true in numerous cases but the simple fact remains. People are simply no longer willing to come in and kill themselves for 3 or 4 weeks with nothing to look forward to beyond a few weeks of modest wages along with an employer and company mindset that say's " we don't care about how you're supposed to live for the next 48 weeks but be sure to come back this time next year". Yea right. The entire nation lives from paycheck to paycheck and as an employer if you don't have one for that guy at the end of every week, he's going to go where he get find one.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Take a look at the job boards and you will see hundreds of Ground and Amazon contractors begging for people. The problem is they don't pay enough and that's only for a few weeks at that. It would appear that some of the "investor class" contractors who have bought in recently are in for the shock of their lives. I think what may be happening is that Ground as a company began to suspect that the extra money they were giving contractors that was intended to enable them to compete successfully for seasonal help was instead going down contractors pockets. That may be true in numerous cases but the simple fact remains. People are simply no longer willing to come in and kill themselves for 3 or 4 weeks with nothing to look forward to beyond a few weeks of modest wages along with an employer and company mindset that say's " we don't care about how you're supposed to live for the next 48 weeks but be sure to come back this time next year". Yea right. The entire nation lives from paycheck to paycheck and as an employer if you don't have one for that guy at the end of every week, he's going to go where he get find one.

that's why you should start your own business. the only person you have to answer to is yourself.

NYCFXG

I expected to have more difficulty.. I have my full staff and even let go of a helper to put a brand new green driver on a bulk truck as a helper to have a spare driver for bulk. Currently have 4 approved helpers with absolutely no work to give them. Been trying to give them to other contractors but they seem to be filled up as well.

On the volume side, I am up more than 10% compared to similar time period last year. I actually have had 3 days this month that rank in the top 10 for heaviest days including peak. If volume really does increase to the levels they claim it will people are gonna have a lot of trouble with capacity.

Did have a truck with more than 50% ICs/stop. Pretty incredible. Can't wait for this nightmare to be over.

bacha29

that's why you should start your own business. the only person you have to answer to is yourself.
Fedex Ground contractors no longer have the luxury (if you want to call it that) of being one man operations. The conversion to mandated multi route operations began in 2009 and the complete nationwide conversion will be completed by 2020 if not earlier.

instiches

says the person who has never actually owned a business. or at least a successful one.

in business, you are always answering to other people. customers, suppliers, creditors, and employees.

Star B

White Lightening
People are no longer willing to be subjected to the humiliation of coming in and working like slaves for 3-4 weeks then simply be disposed of like holiday gift wrap..They're just no longer willing to be treated in that fashion.

....for the current pittance of pay. I bet you that if you walked out to the street and said "30$/HR WORK FROM NOW UNTIL JAN 5"... you'd have people busting down your door.

SmithBarney

Our runners will make 22/hr, that's more than most of the CRRs in station...we have a "signup" sheet to put names down, it's blank, nobody wants a runner next to them making more..

whenIgetthere

Our runners will make 22/hr, that's more than most of the CRRs in station...we have a "signup" sheet to put names down, it's blank, nobody wants a runner next to them making more..

I'll take the hours instead. They ask me every year, and I say no, as do most of the couriers. The runners wind up on the extended routes who go out with less than 100 stops during peak.

SmithBarney

That has got to be the dumbest thing - even for FedEx. Way to continue the steady demoralization of our “people”, eh?

Well we have some guys who really milk it for all it's worth, they don't get out of the truck all day, make the runners "RUN" and that's about it. Some have really well set up loads and just say to the runner "Grab XYZ" off shelf.

dezguy

Well we have some guys who really milk it for all it's worth, they don't get out of the truck all day, make the runners "RUN" and that's about it. Some have really well set up loads and just say to the runner "Grab XYZ" off shelf.
If someone were making more than me, coming in off the street, you damn well better believe I'm just driving all peak.

vantexan

$22hr, really? I'm going to UPS orientation tomorrow and will be running for $15hr. Think I'll drop by FedEx.