Peak 2017

floridays

I saw a story today on CBS This Morning. Illegal immigrant rode a freight train to America when he was young. Lived on the streets and worked odd jobs. Got a job as a bus boy and worked his way up to server at a restaurant. Sent himself to culinary school and now he owns 8 restaurants in Houston. He also learned the language and became a citizen. He said he wasn't gonna give up and wasn't gonna stop working until he succeeded.

Will and desire.
Admirable, minus the illegal status. Hopefully he will rectify his situation.

Oldfart

Everyone of those success stories had help along the way. The sad truth is your anecdotal success stories are just another attempt to distract from the real issues of our society.
The real issues of our society. Society is full of lazy and people unwilling to make the efforts to better themselves.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Disagree, it's not an income problem, it's a cultural problem. Often the two are intertwined, but some of the least fortunate (income wise) are the most polite and well reared citizens. It's a problem of culture not wealth.

I'm talking about in general. People who are not well-behaved, not eager to learn, etc. often end up poor. There are plenty of polite poor people. There are many more who are just plain screwups.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The real issues of our society. Society is full of lazy and people unwilling to make the efforts to better themselves.
Said every old man of the past 10000 years.
th

Oldfart

Your fallacy is anecdotal.
Try again.
You need to surround yourself with a better class of people and open your eyes. The world is full of people that started with nothing and became successful. Too bad your crowd hasn't followed that path.

You are judged by the company you keep. Apparently you have not been keeping company with people willing to better themselves with hard work and a can do attitude. Bummer