Peak 2017

dmac1

I'll manage. I'm worried about next week with brown adding surcharges for residential deliveries and we aren't. I'm still under staffed for ideal but I'm giving the guys a stop rate bonus this year. They'll get smoked but at least they'll get paid well for it.

Hope your drivers are used to working in the dark. Working 10 hours or more and quitting at 8pm in the summer is lot different than during peak, when the darkness and possibly weather slow things down by maybe 50% after 5pm or so. Doing a little math might prove it is cheaper to hire enough drivers/rental vans to make sure everyone finishes early.

W

What The Hawk?

Hope your drivers are used to working in the dark. Working 10 hours or more and quitting at 8pm in the summer is lot different than during peak, when the darkness and possibly weather slow things down by maybe 50% after 5pm or so. Doing a little math might prove it is cheaper to hire enough drivers/rental vans to make sure everyone finishes early.
Which is why I did not become a full time driver before peak. I'm waiting til spring/summer to go for it.

Star B

White Lightening
I'm confused about peak. Why do people say it's hell during this time? At my center they take your big bulk stops off your route so you have less, the worst part for preload anyway is the standing around waiting for the missing or lost trailers. Is it just horrible for drivers?

You know you're in the FedEx forum right? I hear lots of "UPSisms" in your post.

Also.. we're starting to pick up. Lots of DRA routes that I haven't seen since... last peak. Stop counts for multiple routes in the 100s already.

It will be fine

It's pretty easy to work in the dark here. Lots of street lights and city numbering. You know where the house is on the block by the number. It's not my first peak.

W

What The Hawk?

You know you're in the FedEx forum right? I hear lots of "UPSisms" in your post.

Also.. we're starting to pick up. Lots of DRA routes that I haven't seen since... last peak. Stop counts for multiple routes in the 100s already.
It's the same damn job...so really doesn't matter.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Lucky. I have a rural route with very few street lights. Numbers can be anywhere...on mailboxes, fences, rocks, trees, etc. lol.

Your rural route customer homes have numbers?!? I warned my customers about me not going to be their delivery driver for peak & to use fedex.com/delivery to state where the packages should be released, but oh well.

They hired one temp last week & I already had to do 3 DFUs because of him.

Wish HD adopts the eNotes so I can add description of some of my rural stops for the supplemental driver... butt that would make the temp drivers jobs easier to do.

W

What The Hawk?

Nope.

The Express driver who most closely mirrors my route does three loops, one for each of their commit times, whereas I make an air loop before starting my route.
Well yeah..there are differences but the job itself..same in many ways

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Your rural route customer homes have numbers?!? I warned my customers about me not going to be their delivery driver for peak & to use fedex.com/delivery to state where the packages should be released, but oh well.

They hired one temp last week & I already had to do 3 DFUs because of him.

Wish HD adopts the eNotes so I can add description of some of my rural stops for the supplemental driver... butt that would make the temp drivers jobs easier to do.
Trust me, they don’t all have numbers.