Peak 2017

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I wouldn't be too sure of that VT. I saw a report the other day that said that even with current levels of automation, emerging software, AI and robotics they can right now replace 40% of the U.S. workforce and more than 50% by 2025. As a result it means that in the near future if you can't run the new technology.....it will run you.

Same thing has been said in every decade since the 1960s.

dmac1

Trust me, they don’t all have numbers.
I've pulled into driveways as much as 1 mile long serving 3-4 homes with the only number on the mailboxes out on the road. I've looked through windows, into cars, and even into trash bins to see if I could find an address on a piece of mail, or car registration, or magazine, all in the hope of saving myself the 10-20 mile trip it took to get there the first time. If I had just been a driver instead of an 'owner' paying for my own gas, I would most likely have just brought the package back. And yes, finding an address on mail discarded in an outdoor trash bin did save me a return trip of about 15 miles on that one.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've pulled into driveways as much as 1 mile long serving 3-4 homes with the only number on the mailboxes out on the road. I've looked through windows, into cars, and even into trash bins to see if I could find an address on a piece of mail, or car registration, or magazine, all in the hope of saving myself the 10-20 mile trip it took to get there the first time. If I had just been a driver instead of an 'owner' paying for my own gas, I would most likely have just brought the package back. And yes, finding an address on mail discarded in an outdoor trash bin did save me a return trip of about 15 miles on that one.
I’ve done the same. You have to be a little more creative on rural routes.

dmac1

I’ve done the same. You have to be a little more creative on rural routes.

A little more creative????? City drivers don't have a clue.

You ever run across mapquest telling you to drive down a hiking trail?? I had two rural roads leading off the same highway.. Both ended up about 15-20 miles off the highway and only about 1/4 mile apart separated by a ridgeline. I got out of my van and looked across and though about walking but was worried about getting shot or chased by a bear.
Mapqwest had them as connected, but in reality they were at least a 45 minute drive apart. Trying to get a sub driver on a route like that meant that I had to look over every delivery before sending anyone out, day or night. If I wanted a day off, or vacation, I had to go over, by phone, the entire route with the driver.

Besides sending drivers down foot trails, it would also completely ignore forest service roads that could cut off 40 miles of driving. Maybe a self driving car could handle it, but probably not. I used logging roads that started out of private driveways and drove as much as 35 miles on a solid dirt road that was basically two ruts going through the forest. Another example of driving 30 minutes to save 45 minutes.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
A little more creative????? City drivers don't have a clue.

You ever run across mapquest telling you to drive down a hiking trail?? I had two rural roads leading off the same highway.. Both ended up about 15-20 miles off the highway and only about 1/4 mile apart separated by a ridgeline. I got out of my van and looked across and though about walking but was worried about getting shot or chased by a bear.
Mapqwest had them as connected, but in reality they were at least a 45 minute drive apart. Trying to get a sub driver on a route like that meant that I had to look over every delivery before sending anyone out, day or night. If I wanted a day off, or vacation, I had to go over, by phone, the entire route with the driver.

Besides sending drivers down foot trails, it would also completely ignore forest service roads that could cut off 40 miles of driving. Maybe a self driving car could handle it, but probably not. I used logging roads that started out of private driveways and drove as much as 35 miles on a solid dirt road that was basically two ruts going through the forest. Another example of driving 30 minutes to save 45 minutes.
Sounds like you’re even more rural than me.

BoxDriver

One trick I learned back when home phones were still the norm along with cell phones was to call their number and listen for it ringing. I had one place there were 6 houses off one drive and they all had the same address. No lot numbers or anything to tell apart. Mailboxes all had their names but same address numbers.

dmac1

One trick I learned back when home phones were still the norm along with cell phones was to call their number and listen for it ringing. I had one place there were 6 houses off one drive and they all had the same address. No lot numbers or anything to tell apart. Mailboxes all had their names but same address numbers.

Did that too, and learned to call before I left the terminal if it was somewhere difficult or new. But boxes rarely had phone numbers on them way back so I carried several phone books with me, as well as city maps, county maps, Forest service maps, USGS maps. When a signature was required, I always called before leaving. Cell service was very spotty in the hilly, almost mountainous areas.

Oldfart

Just pick a house and leave the package. Let them figure it out.

bacha29

Man, does this bring back the memories so much so that I was contacted today about going out to help but didn't bother to pick up the phone. Logging roads abandoned strip mines and everybody's favorite gas line right of ways. I had one place that was everything my 4x4 van could do to get back into that little piece of heaven .The guy made this cock off remark to me. I said "my childhood home was something like this. When I grew up I got a place in town because I knew 3 things was never going to happen. Winters were never going to get any easier. I was never going to get any younger and the supply of cheap gas and volunteer manpower needed to come out and care for me in my advanced age was never going to get any larger". The guy just stood there with that Bugs Bunny look on his face.
The following winter he had the place up for sale.
At another similar place, no names.no numbers, nothing, gate across their redneck turnpike. I requested that they post a number at the end of the road. Their response? We'll we don't want people to know where we are. My answer....Does that include, police, fire, ambulance and rescue"?
The next trip out they had their number prominently displayed.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Back in my courier days out 100 miles east of BFEgypt, I’d open people’s mailboxes and occasionally even walk inside their houses looking for clues as to who lived there. Stupid? - definitely - but that’s how determined I was not to have to go back out there.
I’m talkin’ rural rural. :cowboy:

It will be fine

When I used to cover rural routes I would just leave stuff if I thought I was in the right place. I figured they all know each other and would get it to the correct house if I was wrong.

vantexan

Back in my courier days out 100 miles east of BFEgypt, I’d open people’s mailboxes and occasionally even walk inside their houses looking for clues as to who lived there. Stupid? - definitely - but that’s how determined I was not to have to go back out there.
I’m talkin’ rural rural. :cowboy:
Try the foothills of New Mexico rural. Actually went over 500 miles one day out there. If satellite radio had been available then I'd still be there.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
500 miles in a day? So u fuel up halfway through the route?

Yeah I've done mountain rural & that totally sucked, especially during winter...

I'm currently on flatland rural, which is why I can run my tires down to racing slicks before my bosses get me new ones.

The supplemental driver is taking half my route now, so I'm averaging 140 miles a day.

He's still looking for one more when the volume triples & I give up my cake area (gated community)

BoxDriver

I had to do a 300 mile HD route once in a gas 1200 as it was the only truck we had available. Left with full tank and had to refuel to get back.

vantexan

500 miles in a day? So u fuel up halfway through the route?

Yeah I've done mountain rural & that totally sucked, especially during winter...

I'm currently on flatland rural, which is why I can run my tires down to racing slicks before my bosses get me new ones.

The supplemental driver is taking half my route now, so I'm averaging 140 miles a day.

He's still looking for one more when the volume triples & I give up my cake area (gated community)
Autocorrect got me. Was the bootheel of New Mexico. Had an area 95 miles long, 35-45 miles wide, did everything inside and around perimeter. Typically 320 to 370 miles, went over 400 maybe 10 times, one day had literally everything, went just over 500. Met courier from station on road at 1000, that 500 mile day got off at 2330. No pickup service, heavy day 35-45 stops. Had only 13 stops one day, still took 7 hours. Loved it out there.

Purplepackage

Used to cover a route that 250-280 miles a day about 60-70 deliveries with an average of 15 pups a day. This guy literally needed help everyday because his route would come down with 100 deliveries in the middle of febuary. He retires and they split the route into 2 separate routes lol

Star B

White Lightening
We have two of those routes now.... one guy is going to retire soon, the other has quite a few more years ahead of him. They have had a hell of a time getting a wheel hired for them.