Peak 2017

floridays

I'm not touching the turkey... tryptophan will not be good for Friday. I'm heading in early so I can deal with all that dumb crazy shoppers on the road and hopefully be done by 2000

I'm eating hammy bacon, though... yum!
Excellent, carry on sir, absolutely nothing like a committed hog. Show your appreciation.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
The rural customers on my route are having venison... one of them got mad at me yesterday because I scared a few of the deer off the property as I was driving up their dirt driveway - he was up on one of those tree stands. Should've closed the gate on his driveway.

Wonders how venison tastes like...

floridays

The rural customers on my route are having venison... one of them got mad at me yesterday because I scared a few of the deer off the property as I was driving up their dirt driveway - he was up on one of those tree stands. Should've closed the gate on his driveway.

Depends a lot on who is cooking it and how it is cooked.

Mutineer

Yup. Typical rural response. Order something off the 'internets' and be absolutely surprised that some luckless delivery driver dares to deliver it to their incest shack masquerading as a house.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Try the foothills of New Mexico rural. Actually went over 500 miles one day out there. If satellite radio had been available then I'd still be there.
I hear ya. Actually I wasn’t too far from that vicinity myself. Once had a pkg addressed to “30th and Plum” at some typical Podunkville backwater that didn’t have more than 6 streets in the entire town. Anyway, after finally getting to the recipient I asked the guy “What is with this 30th and Plum address anyway?” He says “Weeeeeeel, evverone these days seems to reeequar a physical address, so I come up with that one cuz we’s 30 miles outside town, plumb out’n a middle a nowhere”.

bacha29

If you don't mind the ticks and Chronic Wasting Disease . Nevertheless it's an acquired taste and like one guy told me...."I can buy half a beef for what it would cost me to equip myself and go out and get one and those odds don't favor it".

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Had to Wikipedia that one...

As of 2013 there was no evidence of transmission to humans from cervids, nor by eating cervids, but both channels remain a subject of public health surveillance and research.

And looks like my state isn't listed so that's why they are hunting them in my area, including teens on quads.

My black Friday was awesomesauce. Got in early. the supplemental driver next to me wanted more stops so I checked both our map overviews & gave him half of my gated community. $20 more for him & I was flat rate for me.

Estimates to clock out at 1900, but no one was on the road in my side for some reason & clocked out at 1600. Felt good for finishing up by dusk.

I guess this is the calm before the :censored2: storm

bbsam

Staff member
Had to Wikipedia that one...

And looks like my state isn't listed so that's why they are hunting them in my area, including teens on quads.

My black Friday was awesomesauce. Got in early. the supplemental driver next to me wanted more stops so I checked both our map overviews & gave him half of my gated community. $20 more for him & I was flat rate for me.

Estimates to clock out at 1900, but no one was on the road in my side for some reason & clocked out at 1600. Felt good for finishing up by dusk.

I guess this is the calm before the :censored2: storm
A glance at today's numbers suggests that the beginning edge of the :censored2: storm has just arrived.

bacha29

A glance at today's numbers suggests that the beginning edge of the :censored2: storm has just arrived.
Here's what I hope comes out of all this. That damn company finally comes to the realization that in many parts of the country the abundant supply of cheap, productive, experienced, motivated labor the kind who can walk in grab a scanner jump in a truck and go out and knock off a bunch of stops the kind they believe exists everywhere then goes among the missing for 11 months then suddenly reappears simply does NOT exist everywhere in this day and age. But at Ground this is exactly what contractors nationwide are somehow expected to find.
In the depressed rural area where I live the largest incorporated borough in the entire terminal service area has a population of 12,000 people and that's more than 60 miles from the terminal A place where half the town's on Social Security and the half's on relief and of the handful who might want to work even fewer could pass the drug test. Year's ago one of my fellow Day1's summed up the entire experience in 3 simple words......." an impossible situation".

bacha29

you say that every year and every year... FXG/HD comes out injured but not destroyed.
That's my exact point. It's contractors who get destroyed. When X took over for Roadway the fact that you as a contractor had to invest money in the venture ,that fact as well as the respect it was deserving of was the first thing to go among the missing and is a major contributing factor behind the scores of routes on the market with more going on everyday along with the price cutting we're beginning to see.

bbsam

Staff member
It seems like the perfect storm. 59% of holiday shopping is expected to be done online. Temporary workforce has been impossible to find. The company has refused to hire their own temps. All competitors facing the same conditions of over-worked and under-staffed.

Gonna be a bad peak.

It will be fine

It seems like the perfect storm. 59% of holiday shopping is expected to be done online. Temporary workforce has been impossible to find. The company has refused to hire their own temps. All competitors facing the same conditions of over-worked and under-staffed.

Gonna be a bad peak.
They tried to hire temps at one of my terminals. They couldn't find anyone either. There will be pickups that I'll decline when they're over 200 pieces that just won't get picked up. I said I'll do my best but everything isn't going to fit on the trucks and my people's time is better spent knocking out deliveries.

Schedule K money is nice but if I can't afford proper staffing/vehicles the rest of the year getting some extra cash for a few weeks just won't cut it.

bbsam

Staff member
I think the biggest mess will come when a couple HD contractors staffed for 2000 stops are suddenly failing when their stop count hits 3500 and it's only the first week of peak. Those numbers rolling day after day for a month...ugly.

bacha29

Gonna be a bad peak.
You can't blame people for turning down that 4 weeks of employment. No matter how outstanding your performance may be during those four weeks, in the end you're simply going to be disposed of so why subject yourself to that kind of humiliation?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can't blame people for turning down that 4 weeks of employment. No matter how outstanding your performance may be during those four weeks, in the end you're simply going to be disposed of so why subject yourself to that kind of humiliation?

Not necessarily—-I have been able to get 3 of my helpers hired on a permanent basis. One is now a FT bid cover driver.

It will be fine

Around here if you're good during peak you'll have a full time job afterwards.