Peak 2017

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Around here if you're good during peak you'll have a full time job afterwards.
As it should be, just keep an open line of communication to those workers like I said last peak.

this winter is gonna be harsher than last year so we need those supplemental drivers to stay & help afterwards. Half of my rural area doesn't get a timely plow after a snowfall & I had a challenging time to be out there 14 hours a day risking my driving record

bacha29

As it should be, just keep an open line of communication to those workers like I said last peak.

this winter is gonna be harsher than last year so we need those supplemental drivers to stay & help afterwards. Half of my rural area doesn't get a timely plow after a snowfall & I had a challenging time to be out there 14 hours a day risking my driving record
Sounds like you need the only vehicle capable of operating in a mountainous rural area.........a deuce and a half.

Star B

White Lightening
I know the feeling. It sucks when it's the middle of April, 98% of the county has thawed and you still have to deal with ice patches on the roads from spots where the tree cover is so thick it hasn't melted yet.

dvalleyjim

I think it's called economics 101, not 202. Ex is greedy, they will fail service but still make lot's of money. They ain't giving refunds. Contractor's will continue to suffer.

bacha29

I think it's called economics 101, not 202. Ex is greedy, they will fail service but still make lot's of money. They ain't giving refunds. Contractor's will continue to suffer.
Indeed. Contractors must realize that their task is two fold. Become a pathway to cheap trucking and cheap labor and to take an over economized business model and make it work in all parts of the country and in all demographics .

dvalleyjim

Same thing has been said in every decade since the 1960s.

Right, since Henry Ford's assembly line, since the invention of the steam wheat thrasher. We have automated more and more each year for over 100 years but have still found jobs for more people. Quit sending them out of the country and make us work for FedEx ground. Sure there'll be automation, robots. But the geeks that run tech and are indoctrinated in our higher institutions of learning never look at history. People still have to operate these machines, program them, there is still HR, Accounting, etc. New jobs and businesses will be created. I love the intelligentsia, They screw up everything and can't punch there way out of a paper bag. No violence intended snowflakes. I save that for my antifa rallies.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
With the subcontractor carelessly signing up for USPS/smartpost proximity stops, we're going to be busier, just to help those poor postal service hourlies with a UNION & bennies

The only good thing for me, if it's a small envelope or bag with a USPS barcode on it, I scan and cram it in the mailbox & they can't reprimand me for doing so, right?

Preventable

That's weird that you guys were light in January. I work at express and we were like 20-25% above average number of cans/stops until late January maybe first week of FEB just in time for valentine's day lol

NYCFXG

With the subcontractor carelessly signing up for USPS/smartpost proximity stops, we're going to be busier, just to help those poor postal service hourlies with a UNION & bennies

The only good thing for me, if it's a small envelope or bag with a USPS barcode on it, I scan and cram it in the mailbox & they can't reprimand me for doing so, right?

The prox stops stopped being a part of your route at the beginning of Peak. It is a 11 month deal. They turn off the faucet when peak starts. At least that is the deal I was provided with. I turned it down. Didn't make sense to take on the work for half the price. My guys aren't gonna look at the extra work as "easy" stops. They are just stops that they feel they aren't paid enough to do.

Not so bad today. Definitely needed to send everyone out this weekend. But worked out. Will have a hefty surge bonus when you combine the weekend and today. No profit tho. Just enough to break even. That's sadly what this business is all about.

There will likely be 2 weeks that I can look at my settlement and be truly content. It's too bad that money was spent 2 years ago.

bacha29

The prox stops stopped being a part of your route at the beginning of Peak. It is a 11 month deal. They turn off the faucet when peak starts. At least that is the deal I was provided with. I turned it down. Didn't make sense to take on the work for half the price. My guys aren't gonna look at the extra work as "easy" stops. They are just stops that they feel they aren't paid enough to do.

Not so bad today. Definitely needed to send everyone out this weekend. But worked out. Will have a hefty surge bonus when you combine the weekend and today. No profit tho. Just enough to break even. That's sadly what this business is all about.

There will likely be 2 weeks that I can look at my settlement and be truly content. It's too bad that money was spent 2 years ago.
"You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet"......Bachman Turner Overdrive. At least you're in a
major metro area and are on a scale similar to what XG thinks a contractor should be on. Small route ISP's out in the dying rural areas....they don't have a snowball's chance in hell unless they just happen to be lucky enough to be able to acquire some very low cost redundancy.

instiches

On our HD routes we got 45% more volume than the projections for today. How the friend does FedEx expect us to set up staffing for the day when they are so damn off on the numbers.

NYCFXG

Yeah HD got murdered today. I am sending some help to the guy in my area for tomorrow morning. I am concerned for him. If he already needs help this early he is gonna be in big trouble in the next few weeks.