Peak 2017

bacha29

Yeah HD got murdered today. I am sending some help to the guy in my area for tomorrow morning. I am concerned for him. If he already needs help this early he is gonna be in big trouble in the next few weeks.
Just got off the phone with a terminal located 130 miles away from my home wanting me to go down and deliver a route. it's located in a county with a population 3 times the size of the one I live in and 30 miles north of a major population center......and they can't get anybody to drive a route over peak? Not to mention the fact that they offered no travel expense money of any kind. Every peak season they set themselves up for failure, overselling the service, not acquiring enough manpower and those they do get are nowhere near ready to go out and make a productive contribution and then they don't want to pay anybody anything because they want every damn dollar the box will generate. Then they wonder why people are no longer willing to put themselves through all that only to find themselves with a few exceptions here and there completely disposed of come Christmas Eve.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Just got off the phone with a terminal located 130 miles away from my home wanting me to go down and deliver a route. it's located in a county with a population 3 times the size of the one I live in and 30 miles north of a major population center......and they can't get anybody to drive a route over peak? Not to mention the fact that they offered no travel expense money of any kind. Every peak season they set themselves up for failure, overselling the service, not acquiring enough manpower and those they do get are nowhere near ready to go out and make a productive contribution and then they don't want to pay anybody anything because they want every damn dollar the box will generate. Then they wonder why people are no longer willing to put themselves through all that only to find themselves with a few exceptions here and there completely disposed of come Christmas Eve.
Tell that terminal that they can use that idea for toilet paper.

STFXG

Today was nuts. Not even in the ballpark of what was projected. Plus an 830 dispatch. It’s like they never see peak coming. “Are you prepared for peak?” :censored2: off and get the trucks loaded. I’m ready!

It will be fine

Today was nuts. Not even in the ballpark of what was projected. Plus an 830 dispatch. It’s like they never see peak coming. “Are you prepared for peak?” :censored2: off and get the trucks loaded. I’m ready!
8:30 would be great. We didn't get out until 9:15. They couldn't keep up with the pickup volume Monday night so preload started late. Nice planning

bbsam

Staff member
They don't have the staff. Unless they start increasing pay for the hourlies and compensation for us it's going to get a lot worse.
I'm resigned to watching it get a lot worse. Thing that sucks is that we've been in meetings with company VP's and we've been warning that this was coming if they insist on such a low paid workforce.

"friend" the investors! Build something worth investing in.

It will be fine

I'm resigned to watching it get a lot worse. Thing that sucks is that we've been in meetings with company VP's and we've been warning that this was coming if they insist on such a low paid workforce.

"friend" the investors! Build something worth investing in.
They've dumped so much cash into infrastructure with these massive growth expectations while at the same time screwing all the workers. They are prepearing for growth and kneecapping themselves simultaneously. It seems foolish to me, but it's not really my problem.

bacha29

They've dumped so much cash into infrastructure with these massive growth expectations while at the same time screwing all the workers. They are prepearing for growth and kneecapping themselves simultaneously. It seems foolish to me, but it's not really my problem.
Spot on man. It's a Fedex problem that requires a Fedex solution.As long as you're fulfilling your contractual obligations well enough that they can't get something on you then just hunker down and let the storm blow through. I've always believed that the primary reason for contractor capitulation was because they got too greedy. Opportunism and flat out greed are not the same thing and X made those who crossed that line pay.... often dearly with unrecoverable economic losses.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYCFXG

I came here to say my numbers tomorrow also look absurd. I am over my peak DST. Which i never thought possible. However, my experience is never to trust the numbers as gospel. I worked out the cubes and scanned and I should be able to handle it. Capacity is my only concern. Oversized packs can ruin any plan very quickly.

The Youngin' Of It All

I started to run a route to help my guys out with their oversize and bulk. Saw 2 UPS guys operating out of a Budget with over 200 stops. Looked like watching Beavis and Butthead trying to work at Burger World. Was in and out in 5 minutes. Guy in shipping and receiving was not happy with them. Believe me with the size of the stuff we're getting it WILL end up being a problem. Not a lot of small packages this year in my opinion plus a decline in finding the qualified for both companies equals one failing and disappointing peak all around the board. Just throwing in my two cents.

The Youngin' Of It All

I came here to say my numbers tomorrow also look absurd. I am over my peak DST. Which i never thought possible. However, my experience is never to trust the numbers as gospel. I worked out the cubes and scanned and I should be able to handle it. Capacity is my only concern. Oversized packs can ruin any plan very quickly.
Between you and BBSAM, I'm right up there with you. Fortunately my route runs a straight truck when I split this time of the year so I'm never worried about the size of the packages. I'm about 75% to 80% overlapped. Tomorrow will be an interesting day all around the board. Dispatch time is key and luckily we've been getting out of our building around 8:00 to 8:30. Best of luck to you, your employees, and all other ISP's on the board out there!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I started to run a route to help my guys out with their oversize and bulk. Saw 2 UPS guys operating out of a Budget with over 200 stops. Looked like watching Beavis and Butthead trying to work at Burger World. Was in and out in 5 minutes. Guy in shipping and receiving was not happy with them. Believe me with the size of the stuff we're getting it WILL end up being a problem. Not a lot of small packages this year in my opinion plus a decline in finding the qualified for both companies equals one failing and disappointing peak all around the board. Just throwing in my two cents.
Judging by all the “sky is falling” threads about massive rollover already, UPS will the one failing this year.