Peak 2017

NYCFXG

Heaviest day in my company's history. We are projected to process 20% more volume tomorrow. I was only slightly short of my peak DST. Tomorrow I will eclipse it easily if they push the work out.. Didn't have to touch a box today, which means my planning has been spot on so far. With the additional work coming in tomorrow, I am bit concerned.

When I saw the numbers last night, I assumed it was the beginning of the roll over. I was partially correct. I got 15% less than projected. However, the numbers seemed impossible until I saw it play out this morning. This year is going to be interesting to say the least. It is only November. Never had this kinda push this early.

NYCFXG

Well last time both failed ups took the brunt of the heat.

Word on the street is UPS is about to lose a news worthy account. I have scored a couple decent accounts over the last few weeks because of the lack of holiday fee. I can't imagine how UPS salespeople are going to explain how they need to charge additionally for a service that is equal to their competitors...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Word on the street is UPS is about to lose a news worthy account. I have scored a couple decent accounts over the last few weeks because of the lack of holiday fee. I can't imagine how UPS salespeople are going to explain how they need to charge additionally for a service that is equal to their competitors...
Infrastructure has to be paid for by someone. Either charge more all year or tack on a fee during the busiest time (which is the need for all of the spending on infrastructure) this is actually one of the things I agree with ups on.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Infrastructure has to be paid for by someone. Either charge more all year or tack on a fee during the busiest time (which is the need for all of the spending on infrastructure) this is actually one of the things I agree with ups on.
Just look at it as a TOLL for using the fast lane. That's the logic used for building tollroads here in Texas. Problem is, it never goes away.

bacha29

Heaviest day in my company's history. We are projected to process 20% more volume tomorrow. I was only slightly short of my peak DST. Tomorrow I will eclipse it easily if they push the work out.. Didn't have to touch a box today, which means my planning has been spot on so far. With the additional work coming in tomorrow, I am bit concerned.

When I saw the numbers last night, I assumed it was the beginning of the roll over. I was partially correct. I got 15% less than projected. However, the numbers seemed impossible until I saw it play out this morning. This year is going to be interesting to say the least. It is only November. Never had this kinda push this early.
It's still Dan (Boy Wonder) Sullivan's business model with it's origins going all the way back to 1985 with it's intent being finding a way thanks to industry deregulation to compete with USPS and UPS in the business to business market and as a contractor all you're doing is running along behind mopping up after it. As a result the most you're going to be able to do with it is simply do enough to keep XG off your back. And that in and of itself is a major achievement .

Star B

White Lightening
You pay for quality. Trucks, Employees, etc.

NYCFXG

You pay for quality. Trucks, Employees, etc.

Honestly, there is a pretty minor difference between my guys and the guys I see rolling around in Brown. I have never seen a UPS employee bring a package to the 2nd floor of any building. We are forced to take IC's up multiple story walk ups. UPS employees won't deal with heavy pick ups, always pawning it off on someone else. They force their customers to "bring it to their truck". We don't have that freedom. Some of my charter schools are on the 4th floors of old buildings that don't have elevators. They refuse to deliver to them at all. Leaving their packages in the lobby without signatures. We have to get the signature or customer complains. They have given up complaining to UPS. Nothing changes when they complain to them.

So, in some ways, my guys are held to a higher standard. Stretching a 7 hour day into a 13 hour day doesn't happen for my guys. They are on a tight clock that I am observing multiple times a day. But, the flipside is they are some of the highest paid guys in the terminal I am in.

The idea that you are paying for quality is just absurd. It's the same damn thing...

Except express.... Those guys are terrible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly, there is a pretty minor difference between my guys and the guys I see rolling around in Brown. I have never seen a UPS employee bring a package to the 2nd floor of any building. We are forced to take IC's up multiple story walk ups. UPS employees won't deal with heavy pick ups, always pawning it off on someone else. They force their customers to "bring it to their truck". We don't have that freedom. Some of my charter schools are on the 4th floors of old buildings that don't have elevators. They refuse to deliver to them at all. Leaving their packages in the lobby without signatures. We have to get the signature or customer complains. They have given up complaining to UPS. Nothing changes when they complain to them.

So, in some ways, my guys are held to a higher standard. Stretching a 7 hour day into a 13 hour day doesn't happen for my guys. They are on a tight clock that I am observing multiple times a day. But, the flipside is they are some of the highest paid guys in the terminal I am in.

The idea that you are paying for quality is just absurd. It's the same damn thing...

Except express.... Those guys are terrible.

Complete and total BS.

bacha29

Lol, like customers give a rat's about quality. They care if their box gets delivered on time for the lowest cost.
And for the average contractor his fate will be decided in the next 4 weeks and over the question of whether or not he can find enough " Johnny Cabs" to get all of his boxes dumped off at the right place and nobody's going to care about the fact that the guy isn't exactly here on a Fulbright nor will they care about the fact that he doesn't exactly look like he just stepped off the front page of GQ magazine.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Oh well, I bricked out my boxtruck... late Feedah freight & had to leave 4 oversized irregs behind - don't the ba/bc have the cubic feet setup for each route/ vehicle?

I used DEX 027 for the first time & was on the road until 2358. Can't double trip on my route to cram in the 4 boxes I left at building.

I guess I gotta start rolling packages until I have an additional supplemental driver (not holding my breath)

Now, I have to stay home to reset the 10 hour rest period.Ugh, if I'm under 10k, should I still follow the DOT rules? It's gonna be a crappy week

Positive note, I'm in a FedEx branded vehicle, so no worries about getting shot at.

Wheeeeeee, straight time, no OT as long as the investor class pays above state minimum wage

It will be fine

Wrong. No one in my neighborhood would want these fat smelly disheveled amazon drivers pulling into there driveway with there clunker cars delivering. Someone would call the cops immediately
Amazon's driver appearance is not going to be enough to get people to stop using Amazon. You're kidding yourself if you think the general public doesn't see you as a fat smelly truck driver of the same class.

bbsam

Staff member
And for the average contractor his fate will be decided in the next 4 weeks and over the question of whether or not he can find enough " Johnny Cabs" to get all of his boxes dumped off at the right place and nobody's going to care about the fact that the guy isn't exactly here on a Fulbright nor will they care about the fact that he doesn't exactly look like he just stepped off the front page of GQ magazine.
"...his fate..."?

No. I doubt seriously that it's that serious.

bacha29

Oh well, I bricked out my boxtruck... late Feedah freight & had to leave 4 oversized irregs behind - don't the ba/bc have the cubic feet setup for each route/ vehicle?

I used DEX 027 for the first time & was on the road until 2358. Can't double trip on my route to cram in the 4 boxes I left at building.

I guess I gotta start rolling packages until I have an additional supplemental driver (not holding my breath)

Now, I have to stay home to reset the 10 hour rest period.Ugh, if I'm under 10k, should I still follow the DOT rules? It's gonna be a crappy week

Positive note, I'm in a FedEx branded vehicle, so no worries about getting shot at.

Wheeeeeee, straight time, no OT as long as the investor class pays above state minimum wage
As long as you continue to put up with it the oligarch who holds the contract for the route will keep piling it on you. More importantly if he doesn't have enough Johnny Cabs on site by now chances are getting some more right now are pretty low.

bacha29

"...his fate..."?

No. I doubt seriously that it's that serious.
What I'm getting at is that they'll try to cuff you around and slap you around making the usual threats and making out that it's all your fault but as long as you stay on the right side of the contract and fulfill the mutually agreed to stop count you'll be alright until new contract time . Today you can say that there are actually three constants when it comes to XG contracting. Change is the only constant. Nothing's contractually binding as far as XG management's concerned.....And three......the less you do the more money you make.