Peak 2017

bbsam

Staff member
With that in mind, why wouldn't you have just signed the Schedule K? Why do 400 stops above DST for free if you aren't getting paid surge for it? I mean, I considered not signing it this year so that I could just ride off into the sunset without any stress. But then I remembered how much extra money I make during this time of year and thought better of it. I have been fortunate and haven't had to work on the truck at all. But, I know there will at least be a day that I have to.
Because the local management has a peculiar way of enforcing the agreement.

There's too much uncertainty involved in whether I will have my workforce or they will be DQ'd at any given time. Or as was the case last year, I had a driver DQ'd and one leave for Seattle a week before Thanksgiving last year.

And I'm not working Sundays.

I make a lot of money at peak. I think they pay too little for the numbers they demand.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Blah, I'm beaten down after a 70 hour week. I clocked out close to midnight for 4 outta the 6 days... this Saturday, they cut down 60 stops so I clocked out at a reasonable 1945. I just chilling most of my Sunday , but gotta do some errands before dark.

Butt, why Brownie drivers bringing the whambulance about working 70 hours a week? We're set to do that all year long with no OT... (ground, not express)

Yah, this time of year, say bye to your loved ones and see y'all on New year's day

bacha29

Blah, I'm beaten down after a 70 hour week. I clocked out close to midnight for 4 outta the 6 days... this Saturday, they cut down 60 stops so I clocked out at a reasonable 1945. I just chilling most of my Sunday , but gotta do some errands before dark.

Butt, why Brownie drivers bringing the whambulance about working 70 hours a week? We're set to do that all year long with no OT... (ground, not express)

Yah, this time of year, say bye to your loved ones and see y'all on New year's day
Here in the Mid-Atlantic region the weather is not expected to hold beyond tomorrow. It is no question an E-Commerce driven economy with spikes in online holiday shopping likely to become even more extreme going forward The question now will be how long XG will continue to hold on to the belief that all a contractor needs to do is to call 1-800JOHNNYCAB and they'll send somebody right out with the knowledge and experience to actually have an impact ?. For small route contractors the problem will be even more acute given that they do not have the revenue stream to retain full time box luggers without a daily route of their own.I offered to try to address that problem but the offer was rejected with contempt...... That was until the day after Thanksgiving when they all called desperate for help... "sorry people, the offer has been withdrawn".

Star B

White Lightening
70 hours a week is BS, no matter where you work. It is additionally hard when you are a delivery driver in and out of a truck all day, as you know.

The companies are trying to be cheap with labor to maximize profits. They knew Ecommerce grows every year, they know it gets dark early and once it gets dark, SPH drops dramatically, and they know when the holidays are.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

70 hours a week is BS, no matter where you work. It is additionally hard when you are a delivery driver in and out of a truck all day, as you know.

The companies are trying to be cheap with labor to maximize profits. They knew Ecommerce grows every year, they know it gets dark early and once it gets dark, SPH drops dramatically, and they know when the holidays are.

40 * $33.62 + 30 * $50.43 is not my definition of cheap labor.

MAKAVELI

Not so sure about that. UPS is rolling tons of freight already, drivers aren't the only labor involved. Cheap labor on the inside will cause as many if not more problems than drivers.
I would think all the seasonal and PVD drivers could be considered cheap labor when compared to a full time driver at top pay.

Star B

White Lightening
40 * $33.62 + 30 * $50.43 is not my definition of cheap labor.
I would think all the seasonal and PVD drivers could be considered cheap labor when compared to a full time driver at top pay.

I was talking about them getting cheap with extra bodies, I just lumped it into "labor". You take a top rate driver making OT, that is at least a seasonal employee and a half at a higher rate due to it being seasonal. You get what you pay for, if you want a temp, you have to pay a higher rate for that.

Star B was referring to FedEx Ground and to a lesser extent FedEx Express, not UPS.

I was talking about all three of them. FXG... well, we know what kind of cheapfest that place can be... FXE and UPS both control their own labor and they control the workforce and directly influence how boned they are during peak.

blacksox

FedEx not the only ones hurting for drivers

Seasonal Personal Vehicle Package Driver
Candidates must have a personal vehicle that meets UPS standards. Personal Vehicle Drivers must have proof of a registered vehicle for use, minimum state required auto insurance, and must be 21 years of age or older. Trucks cannot be over 10,000 pounds and must have a covered and secured bed. Vehicles cannot have low rider suspensions, oversized rims, aftermarket blacked out windows, other company’s logos or markings, and must be free of bumper stickers, political stickers, offensive markings etc.

This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. Personal Vehicle Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live. A DOT physical exam is required for this position. No at fault accidents within the last 3 years; no moving violations within the last 12 months. Candidates may be required to travel to an identified start location that is away from the facility. Personal Vehicle Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours during weekdays (Monday through Friday). Saturday and Holiday work may be required/available intermittently throughout the season. Typical operating hours are from 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.

This job posting includes information about the minimum qualifications (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines), locations, shifts, and operations within the locations which may consider my application. An applicant or employee may request an exception or change to, or an accommodation of, any condition of employment (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines) because of a sincerely held religious belief or practice.

UPS is an equal opportunity employer

floridays

FedEx not the only ones hurting for drivers

Seasonal Personal Vehicle Package Driver
Candidates must have a personal vehicle that meets UPS standards. Personal Vehicle Drivers must have proof of a registered vehicle for use, minimum state required auto insurance, and must be 21 years of age or older. Trucks cannot be over 10,000 pounds and must have a covered and secured bed. Vehicles cannot have low rider suspensions, oversized rims, aftermarket blacked out windows, other company’s logos or markings, and must be free of bumper stickers, political stickers, offensive markings etc.

This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. Personal Vehicle Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live. A DOT physical exam is required for this position. No at fault accidents within the last 3 years; no moving violations within the last 12 months. Candidates may be required to travel to an identified start location that is away from the facility. Personal Vehicle Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours during weekdays (Monday through Friday). Saturday and Holiday work may be required/available intermittently throughout the season. Typical operating hours are from 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.

This job posting includes information about the minimum qualifications (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines), locations, shifts, and operations within the locations which may consider my application. An applicant or employee may request an exception or change to, or an accommodation of, any condition of employment (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines) because of a sincerely held religious belief or practice.

UPS is an equal opportunity employer
Say it ain't so Joe.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Packages that weigh up to 70 lbs? Let's try 150.

"Sorry, no one available to help you lift that beast. Guess you're gonna just have to suck it up. Oh, and have a safe day"

bacha29

Say it ain't so Joe.
Even if it were true the first question is ....is the driver an employee or a contractor? It would appear that what many of us have suspected is that X and it now appears UPS have taken the position that the class action settlement gives them free reign to take huge liberties when it comes to the definition of an employee and a contractor. In addition is says nothing regarding insurance. It would therefore appear that UPS expects private vehicle auto insurance to cover claims involving this type of activity.