Peak 2017

bacha29

As expected... right back up to peak threshold... the real hard part is I am set up to deal with up to that amount. Anything less i am way ovet prepared. But at or near my number requires full attendence.
So in the case of the two guys you mentioned earlier. What will X do? The same as I've seen before? Pull their trucks outside slap a termination notice on them and ban their entrance into the building? Unless you are completely willing to be totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company doing whatever they demand regardless of whether or not it is contractually required then it's no place for a person to be going forward because what was bad up to now will no doubt get even worse.

STFXG

So in the case of the two guys you mentioned earlier. What will X do? The same as I've seen before? Pull their trucks outside slap a termination notice on them and ban their entrance into the building? Unless you are completely willing to be totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company doing whatever they demand regardless of whether or not it is contractually required then it's no place for a person to be going forward because what was bad up to now will no doubt get even worse.
What are you talking about? You fail. Takes a couple weeks for them to serve an OTC. You clean it up by January (30 days). Carry on like normal. They don’t terminate anymore.
Only real difference is the guys that’s fail turn a profit.

bbsam

Staff member
What are you talking about? You fail. Takes a couple weeks for them to serve an OTC. You clean it up by January (30 days). Carry on like normal. They don’t terminate anymore.
My guys and I failed miserably (according to X) on Monday. Down two drivers (a third had his last day Friday). Two truck battery failures on road and a flat tire. Had about 150 DNA's but did about 100 stops above DST.

Cleaned up yesterday. On to today!

bacha29

Good to see that the repercussions aren't as bad as they once were. Perhaps their history of treating contractors badly is starting to fade a bit. With regard to your comment about the profitability of failing perhaps the long history of contractor overreach which often resulted in bankruptcy is starting to subside. An example of which can be seen on the route sale sites where some sellers are downsizing.Whatever the case one fact remains. Not all routes are profitable. In fact in the two years since I left leaving just 4 contractors remaining. One has sold at a severely depressed price and another is trying to sell.

bacha29

Yep. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how we performed both days.
You're just the kind of contractor XG deserves.....oops....i mean needs. Don't fix it when it's broke....fix it when it quits running. If a shed full of smelter bait is all that the money they give you will support then it becomes an XG problem that requires an XG solution. Remember, the dumber you act the less they expect from you and never forget to remind them to speak slowly, use complete sentences.....you'll try to keep up with them. Why? Because in their mind's eye you don't know anything. They have all the answers..... Ask Dano. He'll tell you the same thing.

bbsam

Staff member
You're just the kind of contractor XG deserves.....oops....i mean needs. Don't fix it when it's broke....fix it when it quits running. If a shed full of smelter bait is all that the money they give you will support then it becomes an XG problem that requires an XG solution. Remember, the dumber you act the less they expect from you and never forget to remind them to speak slowly, use complete sentences.....you'll try to keep up with them. Why? Because in their mind's eye you don't know anything. They have all the answers..... Ask Dano. He'll tell you the same thing.
Well...

I hate to make you look like an idiot, but here are the facts:

Two battery issues in 2016 Ford P1000's both with less than 40000 miles. Bought at the same time, VIN's within one of each other. Batteries failed within an hour of each other.

Flat tire on a 2017 GMC P500 cutaway with less than 5000 miles on it. Ran over a screw. This isn't an example that fits you constant, stupid narrative. Maybe next time.

bacha29

Well...

I hate to make you look like an idiot, but here are the facts:

Two battery issues in 2016 Ford P1000's both with less than 40000 miles. Bought at the same time, VIN's within one of each other. Batteries failed within an hour of each other.

Flat tire on a 2017 GMC P500 cutaway with less than 5000 miles on it. Ran over a screw. This isn't an example that fits you constant, stupid narrative. Maybe next time.
Judging by some of your previous comments I feel quite confident that I will never corner the stupid narratives market. Just trying to bring some laughter to a very stressful time of the year.As for your steps . One problem that every contractor who owned steps at my little piece of heaven terminal had.Rough roads often resulted in wire chafing and sometimes arching across to other nearby bare wires creating shorts that slowly over time shorts out the batteries Likewise frequent engine restarts can short out starters much faster which in time finds it's way back to the battery as well. Likewise those lugs up near the firewall where the chassis manufacturers wiring ends and the body manufacturers wiring begins was also an area where shorts were often found.

NYCFXG

I have a handful of 2016s and 2017s. They are under warranty but in my area we have to wait 2 months for a service appt. Otherwise it is an hour plus drive. I maintain my trucks to the best of my ability. I have a steady schedule for starters and recaps for rears. PMs every 4 months. I have a few older trucks but no one drives much. Only thing I will complain about is replacing mirrors. I cant order them fast enough. Go through a 4 pack of velvacs every 2 weeks. They are basically disposable. Once again, metro perspective and I have a background in fleet management so I am not a driver first.

Surprisingly enough my biggest problem this peak has been hand trucks. I own almost 40 and only use magliner. Regular maintenance on them has been easy. However, between the hand truck theft within the terminal and unexpected parts failures, I am almost out of spares. We use handtrucks A LOT.

Last edited:

bacha29

I have a handful of 2016s and 2017s. They are under warranty but in my area we have to wait 2 months for a service appt. Otherwise it is an hour plus drive. I maintain my trucks to the best of my ability. I have a steady schedule for starters and recaps for rears. PMs every 4 months. I have a few older trucks but no one drives much. Only thing I will complain about is replacing mirrors. I cant order them fast enough. Go through a 4 pack of velvacs every 2 weeks. They are basically disposable. Once again, metro perspective and I have a background in fleet management so I am not a driver first.

Surprisingly enough my biggest problem this peak has been hand trucks. I own almost 40 and only use magliner. Regular maintenance on them has been easy. However, between the hand truck theft within the terminal and unexpected parts failures, I am almost out of spares. We use handtrucks A LOT.
Here's an idea. Next time one of your guys loses his costly magliner, replace it with a $29.95 Harbor Freight Salvage handcart. Rest assured, he won't lose another magliner..When it comes to tires ,out here on red dog and sharp limestone covered township roads cheap Chinese steering tires and recaps on the rear were a waste of money. Those type of roads (if you want to call them that) cut them to shreds. And leaf springs, mounting brackets, center pins, king pins. tie rods,windshields, radiators wheel bearing seals a continuous stream of them and a never ending headache. It reached the point where I had to gave the guy who did the work on my stuff my credit card and he set aside an entire room in his shop. When the parts inventory started going down he simply called in an placed an order for new parts.And there was always several charges or more every month.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Flat tire on a 2017 GMC P500 cutaway with less than 5000 miles on it. Ran over a screw.
Murphy's Law is the most powerful in December.