Pick-ups

Off the leash

i live in a big boating lake area and had 3 marinas on my training route. anchors and batteries every day. of course there were always cushions as well but those boxes were always like 5ft long and still obnoxious.

my bid route has 15 scheduled pickups every day. 3 banks, 1 vet, 2 smallish tool and die places (avg 20pcs ea) then chevy, ford, volkswagen, used car, used car, toyota, mazda, honda, used car etc. i probably pickup 75-100nda envelopes daily. it's a good thing i practice 16oz curls every night or i'd never be able to handle it.

edited to add that i picked up from a petco today. 81 boxes of dog food and cat litter. the guy at the dock heard me groan when he opened the door (it's saturday so i needed to get back by 5:30 to avoid lunch) and the pickup was 4:30

he asked me if i wanted to leave it until tue because it wasn't that much (m-friend avgs 3-400). i considered it. the guy who does that pickup m-friend parks right next to me in the building though and sometimes brings my air back on mondays so i got my exercise today.
I had a marina on route once, they do suck

Off the leash

This.

If there’s nothing there, you should still sheet it NonPU/Not Ready (or whatever) from the business’s location. The location is recorded, and if they decide to, they could get you for dishonesty sheeting something when you’re not actually there.

Maybe they do, maybe they don’t, but they could. Why give them any ammunition to possibly use against you?
Plus the pick up will throw you under the bus if they get a late shipment after you called, they’ll say you didn’t come by to cover their own ass. I had shippers that used to put a sign in the window if they had a pick up. What if they forget to put it in? I always checked anyway, why take a chance.

TheOnlyMidnight

If you truly do not like pick ups...

I'd keep that tight lipped at your center.

Go around looking too happy and certain people go out of their way to wipe that smile off.

Tell em you love everything...

Even if it's a sarcastic smirk...

Always have a smile.

That pisses people off.

Head down and plow thru your 30...

Good luck.
Thanks, I'll take your advice

ManInBrown

One tip for newbies regarding pickups. Never close a pickup out unless you are at the customer location. So and so says I won’t have anything going out tomorrow. Either leave the pickup hanging in the board, or drive there anyway and close it out. Never close a pickup out unless you are at the customer location. I’ve seen drivers get walked off for it. It’s falsification, and especially if you are a driver they are looking for something on, it’s easy pickins. And don’t be a runner and call customers on the phone. You’re only screwing it up for the next driver that gets your route, or covers the route. Worst thing you can do to screw over another driver.

TheOnlyMidnight

One tip for newbies regarding pickups. Never close a pickup out unless you are at the customer location. So and so says I won’t have anything going out tomorrow. Either leave the pickup hanging in the board, or drive there anyway and close it out. Never close a pickup out unless you are at the customer location. I’ve seen drivers get walked off for it. It’s falsification, and especially if you are a driver they are looking for something on, it’s easy pickins. And don’t be a runner and call customers on the phone. You’re only screwing it up for the next driver that gets your route, or covers the route. Worst thing you can do to screw over another driver.
I'll be taking you advice because that makes so much sense

DriverNerd

If there’s nothing there, you should still sheet it NonPU/Not Ready (or whatever) from the business’s location. The location is recorded, and if they decide to, they could get you for dishonesty sheeting something when you’re not actually there.
I would just close it out as 0 if they have nothing going out. If they are closed then do it as a non-pickup closed. If they say they have stuff but aren't done "We're still working on it" then do it as not ready.

quad decade guy

Your training route will almost certainly have pickups, and those businesses will be used to dealing with trainees. If they don't have pieces every day, get their number and call. Save yourself the time.
"Flag stops were a big no no. They will get you burned....some day. Especially if their is a communication snafu at the pick up or last minute changes.....beware. It is your responsibility to MAKE SURE.

Porknado

I would just close it out as 0 if they have nothing going out. If they are closed then do it as a non-pickup closed. If they say they have stuff but aren't done "We're still working on it" then do it as not ready.
I’m sorry, force of habit. I cover a commercial bulk route frequently and most of my pickups are sweeps to lighten the load on the bid route drivers. Meaning if I stop there and they have nothing to pick up, it’s a Not Ready. If the bid driver stops at his scheduled time and they still have nothing, then it’s a zero.

BrownSnowFlake

No it’s not
Show up to every pickup everyday just like you will be trained to do
My trainer told me to call certain pickups and gave me the number, just like every other driver who qualified on that training route. He also texted me a picture of a barcode for a dropbox that doesn't exist anymore but my management team can't be arsed to take it out of the board.

If OP had his 30 in I would agree with you. But he's trying to qualify and if he doesn't scratch it doesn't really matter that he did the job correctly. It's not 1983 anymore where you can get the job by being part of the good ol' boys club. Corporate wants to see the numbers. The time models that calculate the numbers are boo-boo but that's a whole 'nother 20-page thread. The supervisors at the center produce those numbers by hook or by crook, otherwise they have a building full of trucks and no drivers. I know some people took their "break" driving back to the building. Dishonest? Sure. I don't like it anymore than you do. But not having a job is worse. You can't feed your family with self-righteousness. We have to deal with the way the world actually is, and not the way we want it to be.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My trainer told me to call certain pickups and gave me the number, just like every other driver who qualified on that training route. He also texted me a picture of a barcode for a dropbox that doesn't exist anymore but my management team can't be arsed to take it out of the board.

If OP had his 30 in I would agree with you. But he's trying to qualify and if he doesn't scratch it doesn't really matter that he did the job correctly. It's not 1983 anymore where you can get the job by being part of the good ol' boys club. Corporate wants to see the numbers. The time models that calculate the numbers are boo-boo but that's a whole 'nother 20-page thread. The supervisors at the center produce those numbers by hook or by crook, otherwise they have a building full of trucks and no drivers. I know some people took their "break" driving back to the building. Dishonest? Sure. I don't like it anymore than you do. But not having a job is worse. You can't feed your family with self-righteousness. We have to deal with the way the world actually is, and not the way we want it to be.
IDGAF what you do. But if they are looking to get rid of you that’s an easy way to do it
Falsifying records your gone

Last One In

They have terminated the employment of drivers in my building for this very thing. If it isnt a pickup any longer do not stop complete on it! Scroll to the next one. Your "trainer" should be fired for encouraging dishonesty.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i live in a big boating lake area and had 3 marinas on my training route. anchors and batteries every day. of course there were always cushions as well but those boxes were always like 5ft long and still obnoxious.

my bid route has 15 scheduled pickups every day. 3 banks, 1 vet, 2 smallish tool and die places (avg 20pcs ea) then chevy, ford, volkswagen, used car, used car, toyota, mazda, honda, used car etc. i probably pickup 75-100nda envelopes daily. it's a good thing i practice 16oz curls every night or i'd never be able to handle it.

edited to add that i picked up from a petco today. 81 boxes of dog food and cat litter. the guy at the dock heard me groan when he opened the door (it's saturday so i needed to get back by 5:30 to avoid lunch) and the pickup was 4:30

he asked me if i wanted to leave it until tue because it wasn't that much (m-friend avgs 3-400). i considered it. the guy who does that pickup m-friend parks right next to me in the building though and sometimes brings my air back on mondays so i got my exercise today.
“To avoid lunch”

SMH