Safety Compliance.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
As of 2/3/09, I have been on TAW from a fall I had at work. Turns out that I didn't break my wrist, but I do have nerve damage that will keep me out for at least ANOTHER 6 weeks. This is really P***ing my on-road off. I'm fortunate that I can go in and get my 8 hrs every day, by doing of all things, SAFETY stuff. I, with some help from a brother, have put together a book of demo's to be used in the building. As long as they keep giving me work I'll take it.

I thought TAW was only good for a month?

I will call my BA. It clearly will be over a month before I go back.

I was told that 29 days is the maximum "target time" for TAW, but the center manager can ask (who, I don't know)to extend it longer if it appears some improvement is being made. IT has been my impression that the union doesn't like TAW.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I was told that 29 days is the maximum "target time" for TAW, but the center manager can ask (who, I don't know)to extend it longer if it appears some improvement is being made. IT has been my impression that the union doesn't like TAW.

What's next Short Term disability? No work? What normally happens with an on the job injury that takes more than a month to heal? I'v never been in this position before.

Ms.PacMan

What's next Short Term disability? No work? What normally happens with an on the job injury that takes more than a month to heal? I'v never been in this position before.

You will be off work completely and paid by work comp until you are released back to work. I believe work comp pays for a year, maybe 2 years before it kicks you to disability? They may place you in work hardening physical therapy before you are released.

I believe that work comp pays at 60%, max. $500/wk. I don't know if this differs thoughtout the country.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I think it's 66 2/3%, POIM. I was out on comp for 2 1/2 years. WC has to pay till the Dr says you're 100%, or however many % you will be at release. Are you in physical therapy at this time or waiting more treatment, maybe? Whatever the case, MsP is correct in stating that after a prolonged injury, they need to get you back in shape for your job.

I hope you're staying active and fit, as I couldn't walk without help and gained 65lbs-70lbs. You should be able to talk Liberty Mutual, into a 1 year gym membership, so you can continue to stay healthy. Hope you heal fast, my Maine-ah friend.
Fat Dad 4 27 02.jpg

sexyupsman

One thing I know about my driver is he follows the rules as best as he can yet they always find something to complain about. I realize policy & procedures are important but come on stuff happens. I read the book Big Brown and I doubt Jim would have the company he created without the drivers. They are the HUB of this company. Mistakes are always going to happen. Explain what the problem is and move on. Now if your a jerk and just dont bother with the rules than thats your fault. UPS drivers are the best!

Here WC pays 70% of your average weakly pay from you last 16 (I think) paychecks. The is a maxout of $750 per weak. If you are working TAW, any money you earn then is deducted from what you would draw if you were not working at all.
If you use up you 29 days and still have time to go you, draw the total of the formula. Most UPS drivers hit the max of 750. All money received from the WC payments are tax free (possibly not tax free from State income tax, I don't). In Texas you have approx. 2 years on comp, then you have to go on disability. Some of the laws on this change ever so often depending on who's in charge. Your medical expenses are covered 100% for life on that given injury, but have to be pre-approved by the insurance carrier(Liberty Mutual).

oops, let something out. When you are release to return to work, it is determined you have reached maximum medical improvement. You have to be evaluated for any % of permanent disability. If you have lost (permantly) ,say, 10% in you range of motion or strength you receive payment for that also. If I remember correct the formula for that is (in the case of 10% loss) 10x3x the average amount of compensation payments. so, (in the example) you would receive 30x $750.

P

pickup

I haven't followed this thread for awhile and checked today to see what brick walls steve had most likely hit in safety quest. Cheez, I had no idea. Sorry Steve, looks like you hit a rough patch and are getting hit in every direction. Today I hit your blog again and was able to see it really for the first time ( I have bandwidth issues on my end as I am sharing this wifi area with others and I think that website has issues as well.) Okay now I put my tinfoil hat on , get ready:Craaaazy talk. On my late night radio show that I listen to regularly (Coast to Coast Am with George Nouri , second in syndication behind Rush Limbaugh, can be heard on xm165 and radio stations throughout the country.), they have had two guests associated with something called the "merlin project" . They hit the radar screen years ago when they predicted that the pope(John Paul) and the president (reagan) would get shot and they did. They based this on pope's and president's "time lines" .

Anyway, in general , they said that your birthday was the most traumatic day of life (think about it!) and just like the seasons, that was the equivalent of the first spring day. According to them you have rough patches around the three month "anniversary" of your birthday just as the earth has its trauma when seasons change. Let's say you were born on May 22 ( I know you were born in May) , aug 22, nov22 , feb 22 and may 22 are your peak lousy periods with the two weeks leading into it building up and two weeks leading away winding down.
When I put together your various mishaps, and things happening to you at work and at home. I said to myself "Dear god, this is a typical" merlin project "period and then I remembered your may birthday. They propose this as a general rule and stated that just be aware of it and don't alter your life dramatically but don't climb mount everest at these time either.
Now dear reader, before you I let you walk away all deeply depressed, they also mentioned good periods around certain dates. Based on May 22, for example, april 22, july 22, oct 22, and jan 22. and their associated periods are when the tides are with you. Take it for what it is worth, but I could not help but be reminded of this "merlin project" when I read your various postings. Any other listeners hear these guests on the show? I guess I am talking to the feeder drivers as the package guys for the most part are sleeping when show is on.

Last edited by a moderator:

LLTailor

We get grilled on safety issues daily and hear about every types of reported injuries the next night. (Someone sprained a muscle pulling/pushing a container at the ballmat)

We are also told to secure Aircraft in event of an emergency while only two people who are authorized to do so: The Pilot and the Aircraft Mechanic.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Okay, here we go again. Just found out about a safety bargain being made so that mgmt's numbers wouldn't look so bad. I will speak to the mgmt person about this, before I say anything further. If there's one thing I hate, it's when someone gives you a job to do, but doesn't really want you to do it the way it's supposed to be done.

On another note, the second of my supervised rides, in as many days, is tomorrow. I studied the safety questions tonight with my children. I know, I know, not on the clock. The point of studying with my girls, is so that I can start letting them know how to be safe and stay alive, at an early age.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Okay, here we go again. Just found out about a safety bargain being made so that mgmt's numbers wouldn't look so bad. I will speak to the mgmt person about this, before I say anything further. If there's one thing I hate, it's when someone gives you a job to do, but doesn't really want you to do it the way it's supposed to be done.
And I trust you aren't surprised by this! Silly boy:surprised:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
And I trust you aren't surprised by this! Silly boy:surprised:

I added to my prior post, don't miss it, LOL. I am a bit surprised, dilli. When I decided I was going to do this, I put my best foot forward. I didn't just jump in so I could get a few extra hours. Now they've gone and pissed me off, LOL. We'll see what happens next.:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Okay, I'm back to work a week now. I've had a supervisor ride with me 2 out the 4 days I drove. When I arrived at work this morning, my on-road said the center manager wants me to call him because of my over 9/5's. I spoke to my center manager and told him I've been trying to perfect my methods and that's why my day is longer. I was over 9/5 again tonight and my supe told me that the center manager wanted him to give me a OJS ride on Monday. I look forward to the learning experience.

I've actually come to a point in my driving career, where I'm faced with a dilemma. When I started, I used to keep the bulkhead door open all the time. After returning from my runner/gunner injury, I followed more of the methods, but not all of them. I'd grab the handrail, but not all the time. I'd keep the bulkhead door open in strip plaza's and residential communities, but not as I drove from point A to point B.

Since assuming the safety co-chair position, I've been having a hard time looking at myself in the mirror. I mean, how can I tell someone, that such and such is a safe behavior, but not follow the same methods? So I made a commitment to myself. From now on I will strictly follow ALL of the methods, so if/when asked if I do them, I can say yes, with a clear conscience.

This being said, my normal getting off the clock by 1730 has now changed to 1930. I am not purposely going slow. I'm following the methods, and if I had done this from the beginning, mgmt wouldn't put as many stops on my car. I feel bad, not that I never did the methods fully, but that in retrospect, more work could go toward building another car. In realizing this, I also see, that if all the drivers did the methods (fully), more routes would be added.

In hindsight, I apologize for not living up to the standard that I expect others to follow. I also want to say, that from here on out, I'll be doing ALL the methods.:peaceful:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Steve
When telematics comes to your building, you will be ahead of the curve. Your post should be an eye-opener to current run-n-gunners. I was one also. With a mortgage now and no more roller hockey to play, I'd rather work the extra overtime to pay the mortgage anyways.

When telematics gets to your building, NO ONE will be run-n-gunning anymore anyways. Might as well start learning the methods now.