Safety Compliance.

Steve said " This supe, happens to believe that lunch starts once you break trace. I say believe's, because every supe, it seems, has a different take on this."
The truth to matter is, the sup probably knows better, he just wants YOU to believe it is that way. The company policy says you can not drive a company vehicle off the clock. How can you drive to your meal stop while off the clock? Answer, you can't. The meal time can not start before you stop and secure the vehicle.

brownman15

Steve,

Are you on PAS/EDD?

If so, there is a perfect way for you to deal with this accusation. Simply shut your brain off, stop trying to make "good" decisions for them, and run the route absolutely 100% stop-for-stop the way it is loaded in EDD.

It will take all the stress off of you. If you are working 100% "as instructed", it makes it pretty tough for them to accuse you of padding miles, especially if you are on Telematics and they can see for themselves how screwed up their trace actually is.

One stop at a time. Door shut, seatbelt on, speed limit observed. Do it their way. Stop burdening yourself with trying to be more efficient. Detach yourself emotionally from the outcome. If the route fails and the businesses dont get services in a timely manner, the problem is with EDD not you and the responsibility of fixing it rests with them not you.

Dont worry about what they think, dont worry about what your coworkers think, and dont worry about what the customers think. The only thing that should matter to you is keeping your job and going home safe to your kids every night. The rest of it is someone elses problem.

perfect. exactly what i do everyday 2 especially now that our center is on telematics.

justsignhere

here is the fix....take pride in what your doing, get the job done safely, and be able to go home and leave it at the door.....i agree about don't get emotionally frizzed...

local804

Steve said " This supe, happens to believe that lunch starts once you break trace. I say believe's, because every supe, it seems, has a different take on this."
The truth to matter is, the sup probably knows better, he just wants YOU to believe it is that way. The company policy says you can not drive a company vehicle off the clock. How can you drive to your meal stop while off the clock? Answer, you can't. The meal time can not start before you stop and secure the vehicle.

Plus driving will increase miles and add to your planned day.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ever since my "awakening", which was last Tuesday, I've been over 9/5 every day, including today. I explained to my center manager, that it would take some time for me to get under 9/5, as I screwed up the route doing it the other way. He said he understood, but was upset about my over 9/5's. I told him that the amount of stops made it impossible to be under allowed, let alone, under 9/5.

Today I had 117 stops 335 pkgs delivered and picked up 102 pkgs in 35 stops, and over 9/5. I called and told my on-road supe, who had did yet another OAO on me today, that I would be over 9/5. I got a message, during lunch, to call the building, NOW! I continued with my lunch and called afterwards. My center manager starts blathering about how he got me out of hot water when they wanted me terminated.

I told him that this has nothing to do with that. I can't very well tell people to use safe methods, and not use those same methods myself. He told me that my on-road will be going out with me, yet again, tomorrow. I don't get the point here. Don't they understand that if you take a guy, that leaves his bulkhead door open, speeds, does other bad methods, and turn him into a method follower, there's gonna be a significant slow down?

My center manager was talking about me being fired again. I'm like, what for, following the methods, or being a top notch safety guy? Bottom line is, I can only do what I can do. I'm gonna live this safety stuff, and they're gonna have to lighten the load. Let's see what I get nitpicked about tomorrow. I may have to visit the Brown Café infirmary, so's I can have my on-road removed from the depths of my hind quarters.

This has been my daily safety rant,...............carry on.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Steve, you had to know this was going to happen. They are being excessive with the OJS/OAO. Start filing on it. Now that you've started it, don't give in. It will get worse before it gets better.

Here's my advice. Do you have kids, a wife, friends and family? Practice the safety stuff with them. You'll get to memorize them and so will they. Everyone will be safer:wink2:.

I`ve been trying the three point contact rule with my wife but all I get out of it is more kids. Help me Safety Steve.:happy2:

evilleace

Did you file the the grievance on article 37 yet if not do it there is no reason for this other than them wanting you to not follow methods and them see it happen in my opinion, anyway keep up the good work.

(Daily safety rant. LOL!)

wrecker

Steve, we had a guy they wanted to pick on. The sup said he didn't walk at a pace that was "to the company's benefit". Gave him crap for not yelling "UPS!" at resi stops. Didn't get enough sales leads. Had like 40 things he did wrong. This was a one day ride. They can always find something.

The numbers are based on you and everyone before you doing the job the wrong way, and they refuse to admit that doing it right takes more time.

Hopefully your steward will back you up when you get called in the office after all these stupid rides.

BTW, out of sight, out of weather is a method. Bring lots of dr bags!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Steve,

You are at a pivotal point in your career. At UPS you are only as good as your previous days production, and the moment that you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on paper you become a liability rather than an asset and you will be treated accordingly. For you, that moment has now arrived.

You work for management who are scared for their own jobs. They shoot their own wounded and eat their own young. You arent making your boss look good on paper, which means he isnt making his boss look good on paper. You used to be mister productive, mister safety committee, mister pro-company. That has all changed, so you had better get ready for the pain. I have seen this kind of thing happen before and there are a few things you need to remember;

Never back down.

Never show fear.

If they turn on the heat, you need to turn it up even hotter.

Never forget that, in the end, you can always make them more miserable then they can make you. Force them to accept the reality that you will not be intimidated, you will not be a victim, and that the "path of least resistance" will be for them to seek an easier target.

Put your shop steward and union BA's phone# on your speed dial. You are going to be getting to know them pretty well.

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but there is another reason why they are on you like stink on road kill. You have just returned from an on job injury. Every time we have a driver return from comp, they are nitpicked for a week or so. The last time I was out I received three talk with in three days. During the third one the OC said something about something ( I forget now exactly what)that, " WOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!".(they love that phrase)
In as calm of a voice as I could muster, I told him, " I will not tolerate being talked to in that tone and volume.", I then turned to my steward and told him I wanted to file a harassment grievance, he just nodded. I never had to go back in to the office for another T/W but fully expect to when I return this time.

screamin chicken

I went through the same thing my sups. were slamming me everyday with 150 stops on my route which has 13 p/ups and around 280-335 pkgs. I did this for a year and a half until I slowed down and started to tak up for myself by calling the Hotline everytime my sup. called me out in for of all the drivers for saying things like it took me until 9:00 to do 135 stops because they got tried of me staying out with the 150 everyday, to I had to roll my sleeves down while there were other drivers that had theres rolled up. I have a paper trail with corp. now and when needed I will call again. They do not care about you if your like me were you can retire in a few years they are going to try to push you over so they can replace you with someone younger that will go and run 150 without complaining and pay them less, I go to work everyday and look these jerks in there eyes and think about things to say but I hold it in and have a eat crap grin and do my job if they give me a fair disbatch they get fair work they screw me and they will give my help or they WILL PAY OT.....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Steve, we had a guy they wanted to pick on. The sup said he didn't walk at a pace that was "to the company's benefit". Gave him crap for not yelling "UPS!" at resi stops. Didn't get enough sales leads. Had like 40 things he did wrong. This was a one day ride. They can always find something.

The numbers are based on you and everyone before you doing the job the wrong way, and they refuse to admit that doing it right takes more time.

Hopefully your steward will back you up when you get called in the office after all these stupid rides.

BTW, out of sight, out of weather is a method. Bring lots of dr bags!!!
Good point! Even if it means walking around to the back of the house.:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Today was the day of my OJS ride, and wouldn't you know it, they pulled all of the extra stuff off. I had 120 less pkgs today than yesterday, only 6 NDA and only 3 misloads, which were just pkgs they neglected to move when they pulled all the extra stuff off of me. The supe harassed me all day. Stepped on my heels as I was walking, almost slammed into me when I stopped and tried to get me to run out of trace.

I punched out at 18:05 and afterwards got a call from a buddy that said the supe had printed everything out and it was all highlighted. Gee, I can't wait till tomorrow.