Safety Compliance.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Have you had a look at the OSHA 300 form (and is 300A posted in the building?)?

No gandy, splain please.

Steve
When telematics comes to your building, you will be ahead of the curve. Your post should be an eye-opener to current run-n-gunners. I was one also. With a mortgage now and no more roller hockey to play, I'd rather work the extra overtime to pay the mortgage anyways.

When telematics gets to your building, NO ONE will be run-n-gunning anymore anyways. Might as well start learning the methods now.

Good point, Heff.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I didnt use to be 100% on my hand rail either. Ankle surgery and being on disability for 7 weeks changed that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I didnt use to be 100% on my hand rail either. Ankle surgery and being on disability for 7 weeks changed that.

Couple of banged up, skinned up shins did it for me. To this day I grab a hold of something if available when stepping up...especially stairs.
My wife says I look like an old man ... (well now maybe I am) but she said that 20 years ago.

gandydancer

No gandy, splain please.

"Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees There shall be Safety and Health committees to cover all full-time and part-time employees...
Each committee shall meet at least once each month at a mutually agreeable time and place. The Employer shall provide committee members with adequate time to perform committee functions, as described in paragraphs 1 through 7 below.

Each committee shall perform functions including, but not limited to:
6. Receiving copies of the center's OSHA Illness and Injury logs and the facility's man-hours...."

Coaching Keter isn't one of the 7, no matter what management would have you believe. Looking at the OSHA 300 form to see if the company is recording injuries properly is. And the 300A summary for '08 is supposed to be posted in the building through, I think, April (the 300 can be kept elsewhere, but any employee has the right to receive a copy free of charge).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
"Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees There shall be Safety and Health committees to cover all full-time and part-time employees...
Each committee shall meet at least once each month at a mutually agreeable time and place. The Employer shall provide committee members with adequate time to perform committee functions, as described in paragraphs 1 through 7 below.

Each committee shall perform functions including, but not limited to:
6. Receiving copies of the center's OSHA Illness and Injury logs and the facility's man-hours...."

Coaching Keter isn't one of the 7, no matter what management would have you believe. Looking at the OSHA 300 form to see if the company is recording injuries properly is. And the 300A summary for '08 is supposed to be posted in the building through, I think, April (the 300 can be kept elsewhere, but any employee has the right to receive a copy free of charge).

Thanks gandy, I sure hope they don't get upset with me.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Okay, I'm back to work a week now. I've had a supervisor ride with me 2 out the 4 days I drove. When I arrived at work this morning, my on-road said the center manager wants me to call him because of my over 9/5's. I spoke to my center manager and told him I've been trying to perfect my methods and that's why my day is longer. I was over 9/5 again tonight and my supe told me that the center manager wanted him to give me a OJS ride on Monday. I look forward to the learning experience.

I've actually come to a point in my driving career, where I'm faced with a dilemma. When I started, I used to keep the bulkhead door open all the time. After returning from my runner/gunner injury, I followed more of the methods, but not all of them. I'd grab the handrail, but not all the time. I'd keep the bulkhead door open in strip plaza's and residential communities, but not as I drove from point A to point B.

Since assuming the safety co-chair position, I've been having a hard time looking at myself in the mirror. I mean, how can I tell someone, that such and such is a safe behavior, but not follow the same methods? So I made a commitment to myself. From now on I will strictly follow ALL of the methods, so if/when asked if I do them, I can say yes, with a clear conscience.

This being said, my normal getting off the clock by 1730 has now changed to 1930. I am not purposely going slow. I'm following the methods, and if I had done this from the beginning, mgmt wouldn't put as many stops on my car. I feel bad, not that I never did the methods fully, but that in retrospect, more work could go toward building another car. In realizing this, I also see, that if all the drivers did the methods (fully), more routes would be added.

In hindsight, I apologize for not living up to the standard that I expect others to follow. I also want to say, that from here on out, I'll be doing ALL the methods.:peaceful:

Learned something did ya?!?!?!?!

As an aside, remember a little while ago when I said I didn't think I could call our saftey co-chair STUG? Remember what I said? Well I found out this morning that I was right. I found out that he was bad-mouthing me to a customer who is a friend. I had a conversation this morning with my DM about it, too.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
They will. They might not have agreed to let you off with a week if they knew it was coming. So keep your nose very clean otherwise. Good luck.

I guess doing the methods 100% is not their idea of me keeping my nose clean. I'm due for an OJS on Monday, and the supe has already ridden with me 2 days this week. Can you say, "overly supervised"?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Learned something did ya?!?!?!?!

As an aside, remember a little while ago when I said I didn't think I could call our saftey co-chair STUG? Remember what I said? Well I found out this morning that I was right. I found out that he was bad-mouthing me to a customer who is a friend. I had a conversation this morning with my DM about it, too.

I don't understand why these people don't just take that leap into management. They are management stooges, that get paid by the hour.

Here's another scenario for ya. We have a guy that absolutely sucks as a UPS guy. He's a runner/gunner, smasher,leave the scener, and an all out liar. This guy would fit perfectly into management. I guess I need to apologize to all of those management personnel that do their job without bitterness, backstabbing and a total disregard for their fellow man.

trickpony1

STUG-
I don't want to rain on your parade or anything but don't you think 3 OJS rides in a very short period of time is a little unusual?

You may want to escape the fantasy world you're living in and face reality.

I would be extremely concerned about 3 OJS rides especially if all 3 were done by different people.

They may be setting you up for something further down the road. These people are like that.

Be careful.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG-
I don't want to rain on your parade or anything but don't you think 3 OJS rides in a very short period of time is a little unusual?

I would be extremely concerned about 3 OJS rides especially if all 3 were done by different people.

They may be setting you up for something further down the road. These people are like that.

Be careful.

I understand you, and thanks for the heads up. The first ride was my, "welcome back from your injury", ride. The second was my yearly safety ride and anal exam.:sick: This past week was the week of self realization, where I have decided to work as though telematics had already been implemented. So now this supe is pissed that I have been over 9/5 for 4 days in a row. Mind you, I hardly ever, and I mean, almost never go over 9/5.

I figure it will take me some time to adjust to this new style. This is exactly what I told my center manager. He said that if I needed help, he could go with me and help me get the good habits down. My on-road, on the other hand, thinks that I'm padding miles, because of something I did on Thursday and Friday.

On, Thursday, this o/r wanted me to break trace and try to deliver an apartment complex I had just delivered a NDA in, even though I had 2 more NDA's that weren't close by, and it was 10am. We got into an argument, because, I told him he was trying to make me run like a chicken with its head cut off. I told him that I don't work that way and I wouldn't do what he was asking of me. I instead ran some business stops along the way to my last NDA's.

On Friday, with 15 minutes left before lunch, I decided to skip the next community, going into one that was on my way to the restaurant where I would be dining. I did this, because I knew I would be running late, and I wanted to deliver a business inside of this community. I knocked this out and proceeded to lunch at a restaurant that is right near my first pick up. This supe, happens to believe that lunch starts once you break trace. I say believe's, because every supe, it seems, has a different take on this.

Anyways, I don't see what exactly it is that I did wrong. I'm sure that during my ride on Monday, I'll be hit with the rolled up newspaper enough, so that I will understand. Mind you, this is all taking place while I'm still under the work comp Dr.'s care. I haven't been released to MMI, as of yet, and am waiting for an orthopedic consult.

soberups

STUG-

Be careful.

+1.

If the OJS's continue, I would file an Art 37 grievance for over-supervision.

Section 1. (a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day�s work for a fair day�s
pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in
a manner that best represents the Employer�s interest. The Employer shall
not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in
the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with
dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to,
giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee.
Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and
respect.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
+1.

If the OJS's continue, I would file an Art 37 grievance for over-supervision.

Section 1. (a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day�s work for a fair day�s
pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in
a manner that best represents the Employer�s interest. The Employer shall
not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in
the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with
dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to,
giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee.
Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and
respect.

My Steward agrees.......we'll be filing on Monday.

soberups

I figure it will take me some time to adjust to this new style. This is exactly what I told my center manager. He said that if I needed help, he could go with me and help me get the good habits down. My on-road, on the other hand, thinks that I'm padding miles, because of something I did on Thursday and Friday.

Steve,

Are you on PAS/EDD?

If so, there is a perfect way for you to deal with this accusation. Simply shut your brain off, stop trying to make "good" decisions for them, and run the route absolutely 100% stop-for-stop the way it is loaded in EDD.

It will take all the stress off of you. If you are working 100% "as instructed", it makes it pretty tough for them to accuse you of padding miles, especially if you are on Telematics and they can see for themselves how screwed up their trace actually is.

One stop at a time. Door shut, seatbelt on, speed limit observed. Do it their way. Stop burdening yourself with trying to be more efficient. Detach yourself emotionally from the outcome. If the route fails and the businesses dont get services in a timely manner, the problem is with EDD not you and the responsibility of fixing it rests with them not you.

Dont worry about what they think, dont worry about what your coworkers think, and dont worry about what the customers think. The only thing that should matter to you is keeping your job and going home safe to your kids every night. The rest of it is someone elses problem.

browndevil

Okay, I'm back to work a week now. I've had a supervisor ride with me 2 out the 4 days I drove. When I arrived at work this morning, my on-road said the center manager wants me to call him because of my over 9/5's. I spoke to my center manager and told him I've been trying to perfect my methods and that's why my day is longer. I was over 9/5 again tonight and my supe told me that the center manager wanted him to give me a OJS ride on Monday. I look forward to the learning experience.

I've actually come to a point in my driving career, where I'm faced with a dilemma. When I started, I used to keep the bulkhead door open all the time. After returning from my runner/gunner injury, I followed more of the methods, but not all of them. I'd grab the handrail, but not all the time. I'd keep the bulkhead door open in strip plaza's and residential communities, but not as I drove from point A to point B.

Since assuming the safety co-chair position, I've been having a hard time looking at myself in the mirror. I mean, how can I tell someone, that such and such is a safe behavior, but not follow the same methods? So I made a commitment to myself. From now on I will strictly follow ALL of the methods, so if/when asked if I do them, I can say yes, with a clear conscience.

This being said, my normal getting off the clock by 1730 has now changed to 1930. I am not purposely going slow. I'm following the methods, and if I had done this from the beginning, mgmt wouldn't put as many stops on my car. I feel bad, not that I never did the methods fully, but that in retrospect, more work could go toward building another car. In realizing this, I also see, that if all the drivers did the methods (fully), more routes would be added.

In hindsight, I apologize for not living up to the standard that I expect others to follow. I also want to say, that from here on out, I'll be doing ALL the methods.:peaceful:
Good luck on Monday. Remember if you need a signature at apt A and no one is home you attempt at apt B & C. You deliver in trace, your NDAs first then your ground. Complete your pickups within the 30 min time frame. Take you lunch and breaks in the required time frame and get help with your over 70s from another driver. Your sup and the customer ARE NOT to help. And most importantly the truck does not move until everyone has theirs seatbelts fasten. Got it Method Man?:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve,

Are you on PAS/EDD?

If so, there is a perfect way for you to deal with this accusation. Simply shut your brain off, stop trying to make "good" decisions for them, and run the route absolutely 100% stop-for-stop the way it is loaded in EDD.

It will take all the stress off of you. If you are working 100% "as instructed", it makes it pretty tough for them to accuse you of padding miles, especially if you are on Telematics and they can see for themselves how screwed up their trace actually is.

One stop at a time. Door shut, seatbelt on, speed limit observed. Do it their way. Stop burdening yourself with trying to be more efficient. Detach yourself emotionally from the outcome. If the route fails and the businesses dont get services in a timely manner, the problem is with EDD not you and the responsibility of fixing it rests with them not you.

Dont worry about what they think, dont worry about what your coworkers think, and dont worry about what the customers think. The only thing that should matter to you is keeping your job and going home safe to your kids every night. The rest of it is someone elses problem.

Got it!

Good luck on Monday. Remember if you need a signature at apt A and no one is home you attempt at apt B & C. You deliver in trace, your NDAs first then your ground. Complete your pickups within the 30 min time frame. Take you lunch and breaks in the required time frame and get help with your over 70s from another driver. Your sup and the customer ARE NOT to help. And most importantly the truck does not move until everyone has theirs seatbelts fasten. Got it Method Man?:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

Roger that!